Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone like the Alexander Leathers Gatsby?

Plumbline

One Too Many
Reminds me of the Aero "Orleans" which I remember from 10 years or so ago.

Lapls look very 80's but that can probably be remedied by request .... and I think the Orleans was missing the pocket flaps.

Nice blazeresque leather jacket ..... need slightly wider lapels for me though.

Edward

Bartender
Odd choice of name. The Great Gatsby is set in 1922, if memory serves, while this claims to be inspired by a 1930s sports jacket. I don't recall anyone in the novel or the film versions wearing one, though granted I've yet to see the Luhrman version. [huh] Not a style that's really to my taste, though I still have my dad's original 1970s leather blazer, complete with 4" lapels, for those Life on Mars moments. This one looks like it's based on one of those Edwardian jackets, around the time the shorter jacket began to replace the frock coat.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It's a tricky style to translate from cloth to hide, it can end up looking like a leather tube with arms. Here's the Aero one:
orleans_zpsf92a47e8.jpg

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Remarkably similar, aren't they? It would be interesting to know how many of these get sold. I can't imagine a big demand nowadays.

I owned something similar from Reiss for a while in the 90s but it never really suited.

It is a bit Jeremy Clarkson.

:D

wdw

One Too Many
That last one was a big hit on the IH forum, with its sheepskin lined pockets. I'm wearing a Stockman as I type, and love it, but these don't grab me at all.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There's something about a leather sports jacket that says "middle-aged executive with no taste on the make." Bob Guccione.

Sloane's example looks like a trans-sexual jacket.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
That last one was a big hit on the IH forum, with its sheepskin lined pockets. I'm wearing a Stockman as I type, and love it, but these don't grab me at all.

Is there a heavy criminal element on the forum, because I reckon you could get a pair of jeans in each of those pockets! :-D Also, what's the point of lining poacher patch pockets? You're hardly going to ram your hands in front of you. Or are there even more pockets behind them? =-O

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
To me the cut looks like an early 1960's sports jacket. In black maybe... It would look better in corduroy. But I do like a leather blazer as long as it has a more western vibe to it. I have one by Johnson Leathers.

Plumbline

One Too Many
A really nicely fitting leather blazer is a great travel jacket ... really versatile ( trousers or jeans) and doesn't crease on planes, trains and Automobiles like a wool coat or suit jacket.

I have a Black Suede Schott Blazer which I often wear when travelling instead of a sports jacket .... really low maintenance .... and smart enough for the office but casual enough for the bar.

I think it's one of the reasons I like the VDR and the Lavant as well ..... I'd buy the Gatsby / Orleans with slightly wider lapels, a buttonhole and no chest pocket ... oh and a mid weight lining .... but then I've got 1 VDR left (Brown) and a couple of Lavants (Black and Burgundy ) so I think I'm alright for now :D

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
Exactly. I kinda like this similarly styled jacket, but I don't think I can pull it off:

IMG_8974.jpg

Who makes this, Superfluous? It's a great cut and loads of style.

Button placement and collar on the AL are quite poor, I think. The Aero one is a little bit better. But the one you posted is really good.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I like the fact that this one has darts in the front, suggests it's got a bit of shape to it. From the lie of the collar, it looks as if it's made of pretty heavy leather, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21