Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone looking at Groups??

Edward

Bartender
that is it in a nut shell.

I think for this aero group to survive we need to change the name and find an agenda. I suggest it can be called 'Justice for UK aeroites' and that the agenda is we are here to lobby for a regular allotment for UK citizens only. Probably quite a small one would suffice, and so it seems to me like it is a realistic aim. IMO it'd be a good way for aero to give something back to the loyal fans, like me who's been buying for 8 years. Some of you of course much longer, I know!

As it is now, we'd all be better having a pal in the US order from Insurrection and send onto us which can't be right, can it?

...and pay VAT twice, shipping, import tax, and everything else on top of the purchase price? I'd rather wait, myself. It would be nice if there was somewhere that sold Aeros stock in the UK, but I suppose there's a high chance (given that Aero already do this in other territories) that they've looked into it and found there simply isn't a big enough market in the UK. When you consider that Insurrection has a much bigger 'local' market to which to play than pokey little Britain can offer for such a niche product, it's not hard to imagine. The main problem I would foresee would be that if even more Aero time was taken up with stock-orders, any of us who wanted anything custom, like an interior pocket, or a change of lining, or a mouton collar - anything that deviates from the standard model - would find our waiting time even longer.

Another thing that occurs to me is that maybe Aero want to keep their ability to sell directly in the UK. If they had a UK outlet the likes of Insurrection, the small size of the UK market could mean they would either have to give up selling direct to the public, or find that they were competing with their own retail partners for the same small market. Just a thought. I agree, though, it's a pain to wait, but that's the nature of the beast, I suppose. I imagine waiting time will be dropping back towards the twelve weeks it was when I ordered my Bootlegger a couple of years ago - afaik, Aero are still sorting out the backlog of missed and replacement orders that became necessary last year, so I'm sure that affects things.

wdw

One Too Many
I'd hazard a guess to say that the UK direct orders are the most profitable as they're going out at full retail rather than wholesale. If that's true, then the quicker they're turned around, the better the cash flow. Again though, it's probable that the relative market is so small that the overall impact is minimal.

schitzo

Suspended
...and pay VAT twice, shipping, import tax, and everything else on top of the purchase price?

No Edward, i said 'a pal'. Read between the lines. Though admittedly for this method there is obviously still a surcharge to be covered

And before a bunch of old women tell me how foolish the above is, it isn't if it works, which it does.

EDIT: Insurrection can send you a Maxwell including worldwide shipping for £716 (at today's exchange rate)

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
It would be interesting to know what the worldwide distribution based on percentage per country of Aero jackets might be. I believe that Aero's price per jacket is the same for everyone when sold on an individual basis, so that an individual buyer in the US would pay X number of dollars (or quid) plus shipping and US duty tax, and a UK buyer would pay the same amount as the US buyer plus shipping and VAT. Is that correct? Obviously a distributer, such as Insurrection in the US, will pay Aero a wholesale (distributer's) price before charging the US customer only slightly more (or maybe even slightly less) than what the US customer would have been charged had the US customer ordered directly from Aero. Furthermore, Insurrection covers shipping and US duty in their pricing AND guarantees the fit for a jacket that arrives in just a few weeks rather than a few months. Is my assessment correct? The only thing that I fail to understand is an earlier statement made that UK buyers pay VAT twice. Comments?

schitzo

Suspended
The only thing that I fail to understand is an earlier statement made that UK buyers pay VAT twice. Comments?

Fanch, he's saying that when you buy it off Insurrection you've paid the VAT once and that if you then send it to the UK the great people at HMRC are (if given the chance) gonna charge you VAT again

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Fanch, he's saying that when you buy it off Insurrection you've paid the VAT once and that if you then send it to the UK the great people at HMRC are (if given the chance) gonna charge you VAT again

So ... it would make no sense at all for any reason a UK guy to buy a jacket from a US distributer that is made and sold in the UK.

schitzo

Suspended
So ... it would make no sense at all for any reason a UK guy to buy a jacket from a US distributer that is made and sold in the UK.

How much sense it makes or does not make is the talking point Fanch.

Looking in I suggest that with the right methodology applied, a UK buyer could procure a Maxwell from Insurrection for under £800 and in doing so replace a 6 month wait with one that's over in a matter of weeks. Does that sound nonsensical?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
how much sense it makes or does not make is the talking point fanch.

Looking in i suggest that with the right methodology applied, a uk buyer could procure a maxwell from insurrection for under £800 and in doing so replace a 6 month wait with one that's over in a matter of weeks. Does that sound nonsensical?

yes :D

Peacoat

Bartender
Fanch: Both UK and US buyers pay VAT once. Aero levies the same charge on buyers both in and out of the UK. Don't know that Insurrection pays the VAT, however. Probably not.

There was a big discussion on this a while back with the company spokeswoman giving an explanation of why the US customer paid the VAT even though it wasn't required by, or remitted to, the UK government. But let's not open that can of worms again.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
let's not open that can of worms again.

I more or less understand the dynamics of how all of this works and have no problem with any of it. I am also fully on board with not going down the VAT worm hole again. :tape:

Peacoat

Bartender
As this thread is about Groups, how do we find the Groups section? I believe it was Feraud who posted a link yesterday, and I found it that way; however, the post seems to not be there anymore, and I am unable to find where on the Lounge the Groups section is located.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
If you click on the community button on the bar under Forum/What's New?, the Groups option will come appear.

devilish

A-List Customer
Jeebus, can at least one thread on here not end up discussing freaking Aero!!! This is supposed to be about Groups, instead it turns into a gripe fest about the Aeroheads not being able to get their fix fast enough. Boring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner