Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone own the new Aero Thunderbay?

hipcheck

New in Town
I wanted to see if anyone owns the new Aero Thunderbay and get some input on how they like it, sizing and fit.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I don't own one, but I have tried it on in the factory. Think: armour-plated Irvin. It's bulky - it's sheep skin and HH how couldn't it not be? - but not too heavy, mainly because the belted waist supports it. I tried on a 38, it was black and rust, but felt I'd probably go with my usual 36 - you really wouldn't need to layer too heavily under it. Seriously, it's as solid piece of kit as you're going to find. :D I think wdw's tried one on as well, so it may be worth contacting him about his opinion (obviously, you'll need 15 posts first).

wdw

One Too Many
I tried on the same one, Sloan. I agree with what you said and felt it was a true size 38. I liked it a lot and would probably have bought one by now if there was no waiting list, giving me time to think rationally.

Actually, I think it was a 40, but the sheepskin made it feel smaller as it was so thick inside.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
"Rational" you say. *checks dictionary* Hmm, I think it's too late for us to start acting like that. You may as well order it and be done. Surely four months isn't that long...

wdw

One Too Many
Surely four months isn't that long...

The winter would be half gone by then and I'm not convinced I'd get that much use out of it anyway. At least your job gets you standing in the freezing countryside for hours on end, so your Irvin is worth it for you.

I'm eyeing up the wool/FQHH genuine hybrid (woorse???) for my next one, after the DB in December.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
I have seriously jonesed for this jacket. here's a question though, could you ask for it to be made with the curly brown sheepskin rather than the white stuff they have on the site? Now that would be something special.

hipcheck

New in Town
I have a Highwayman in size 40 and it fits good. I have a Aero Cafe Racer in a 44 and it is snug. I was told that the fit is more like a Cafe Racer so I was thinking of going to a 46. I am 5'9" and fluctuate between 185-195 lbs. I have a wide back though. I am wondering if they take in consideration the thick shearling when sizing it.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
I'm 5'11 and about 180, I find the 40 inch chest HWM to fit well also. I can layer under it though. When I get mine relined I may well go for sheepskin.

simonc

Practically Family
No I don't but I have a shearling lined Hercules, which I intend to bust out soon, should the temperature drop below 10 degs. What I will say is one should, if they can, own one for a cold day just as one should own a jacket for a mild day, same difference.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I personally love the look of the jacket. If I didn't already have a LHB I'd probably spring for one. But I've and Irvin and a D-1 for the "heavy lifting" as well as a Gloverall so a Thunderbay would be definite overkill.

Worf

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I have a Highwayman in size 40 and it fits good. I have a Aero Cafe Racer in a 44 and it is snug. I was told that the fit is more like a Cafe Racer so I was thinking of going to a 46. I am 5'9" and fluctuate between 185-195 lbs. I have a wide back though. I am wondering if they take in consideration the thick shearling when sizing it.

With their sheepskin lined jackets they use a size up shell and the size you specified lining. So a size 40 will have a 42 shell. This is true for the standard sheepskin lined ones like the Longshoreman and jackets which are not normally sheepskin lined where they add one.

This can cause an issue with shoulders for instance where you might find that the shoulders are a bit too wide for you. For instance a 42 jacket shell will have shoulders just a little under 20" but a 44 will have almost 21" shoulders. As the sheepskin does not come round to the side of the shoulders as it does in an Irvin where it fills the shoulders out; and as it's likely that you won't be wearing a very heavy sweater with it you might find the shoulders a bit too wide and empty if a standard 42 fits you well there.

They don't change the shoulder measurement either. It's just what it is for the shell used.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
There was a BNWT one on eBay for a few weeks, was lovely, but it was black. If it were brown I would have jumped on it. It went for $650 usd! I don't wear much black, but it was gorgeous.

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
Actually, this design was cut especially to be sheepskin lined, so it's not done on a bigger shell as other standard jackets are when fitted with sheepskin lining :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR