Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone play Bridge?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Bridge Partners?

I've never learned to play bridge. I'm sure some of you play; is it difficult? Does anyone have bridge parties? Seems like such a great golden era thing!

pic_36717.jpg
bridgeparty.jpg

J.B.

Practically Family
Uhhh, I don't get it, boss...

I've tried several times over the years to learn both Contract Bridge and Canasta -- always to no avail... :mad: They're just too deep for me!

My whole extended family plays (Hong Kong) Mah Jongg -- another game from out of the past. :)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Several years ago, I took a few classes in bridge. It is difficult (the strategies are very specific and you have to count cards) but fun once you learn it. I enjoyed it, but there were few people there my age (I was about 30 at the time). I gave it up.

Esme

One of the Regulars
I did a couple of searches and didn't see any threads on this, so if there is one, I would be grateful if someone could point me there.
Anyway, does anyone? The husband and I are starting lessons at the Bridge Club next Saturday. We talked about it last year, but just couldn't fit it into our schedule.
I am trying to figure out what to wear. Perth is pretty laid back, so everyone will be in jeans and track pants, probably, but maybe not. Any ideas?
We are kind of excited about it.

carter

I'll Lock Up
I played a lot of bridge in college and when I was stationed in Seoul, Korea with the US Army. Just dress casually comfortable unless there is a required dress code. The goal is to have fun and learn how to become a team that can communicate and clobber their opponents. ;) :)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I used to, but there was hardly anyone my age there. I liked the game but didn't have much to talk about with people old enough to be my parents.

maybelaughter

Familiar Face
i don't, but i want to learn! that and canasta.
although i might have a hard time finding anyone around me willing to play with me :(

maybelaughter

Familiar Face
Paisley said:
I used to, but there was hardly anyone my age there. I liked the game but didn't have much to talk about with people old enough to be my parents.

that's funny - the people who are old enough to be my parents (or older) are the ones i always end up talking to... this is why i love community college!

Esme

One of the Regulars
I will be 51 in April, so almost.

I have thought about Canasta also, and Mah-Jong, I would love to learn Mah-Jong, it looks so intricate. One thing at a time, though. Bridge, I think I can handle.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Canasta is much easier to play than bridge. In fact, once you get a hang of all the rules, it is quite easy to play. We actually use little cheat sheets with the rules printed on them and they help tremendously, especially when you are just learning to play.

Yahoo games has a really good explaination of the rules and a version of canasta that you can play online. The online version is really easy to figure out how to play because it helps you with the rules.

I've never been able to get the hang of bridge. Which is odd because I can play whist, which is basically the fore-father of bridge. You think trying to find bridge partner is hard, try finding a whist partner! lol

Mah jong isn't that hard to play either.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
My best friend plays whist.

You have to have good strategy and a good memory to play bridge (you have to mentally keep track of what cards have been played). If you can do that and learn a good system, you'll be set.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I can play a whole slew of anachronistic cards games besides whist... faro, quadrille. Too bad I can't make a living as an old-timey riverboat gambler. lol

I picked up the first book in the Better Bridge series a few months back and, along with the Hoyle PC game, have been using it to get the basics down. That's about all you can do without lessons, though - just get an idea of how to play the game. I've been meaning to register for lessons at the Manhattan Bridge Club, but I can't seem to synchronize with the schedule.

My problem is finding anyone in NY who knows how to play gin. That is real 10 card gin where you knock. Such a simple game and no one knows how to play it.

Regards,

Jack

Esme

One of the Regulars
I would so play gin with you! Gin is lots of fun, when my ex was in the Air Force we all (there was a group of us wives and enlisted husband's who went from basic, through tech school and then on to Fairchild AFB together) played at least once a weekend. Loved it.
Miss that, actually. Well, bridge lessons in one week, here we come.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
120485.jpg

You may wish to get this from the video shop, to learn the lingo

Poirot-Cards%20on%20Table-%20widescreen.jpg

190Clg.jpg

Buy one of these

And make, your grand entrance with a plater of "Bridge Rolls"

3a.jpg

"Personally I have never been able to learn any card game or any sport, although I can play Monopoly and I have mastered the art of riding A Bicycle"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael