Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone replace their Aero Cafe Racer Zipper with a #10 zip?

tieguy

New in Town
My Cafe Racer's (FQHH) zipper has broken and I read someone recommended a replacement with a number #10 size. Does this change the overall appearance of the jacket? Does anyone have any regrets going with this size on the Cafe Racer? I would love to hear anyone's personal experiences or see photos.

Thanks very much!

Bobby

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I personally like the old school look. However, a nice #10 add quality to a jacket.
Here are some examples of a CR with # 10 C&C zipper.

8.jpg
reed.jpg

In true honesty, You can rock a nice CR for a fraction of the "premium" makers...

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Does change it but may not be a big deal to many. The bigger zipper would be more noticeable.
Zipper on my original j100 was replaced with #10. Noticeable if placed next to my RM buco repros.

Last edited:

gmcd

One of the Regulars
I recently replaced one with a generic #8 and it's much better. I do ride and use the zippers a lot and have had several #5's blow out...so period-correctness be damned, IMO #5 zippers do not belong on leather jackets (btw, I've had to replace several)

Attachments

• IMG_0967.JPG
    IMG_0967.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 67

tieguy

New in Town
I recently replaced one with a generic #8 and it's much better. I do ride and use the zippers a lot and have had several #5's blow out...so period-correctness be damned, IMO #5 zippers do not belong on leather jackets (btw, I've had to replace several)
Great Jacket! Also ride, I guess I was lucky the #5 lasted as long as it did.

tieguy

New in Town
A #8 RiRi is fantastic.
Thanks handymike! A few people have mentioned RiRi, it has definitely piqued my interest. What is about the riri that people like so much? Is it just the style or a combination of style and sturdiness. I'm wondering how they compare to the YKK

I meant to post that they feel very well made (Swiss or German I think), and slide smoothly. YKK is good- their Universal line offers vintage looking pullers, but RiRi feels “better” in my limited experience.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I really like Aero but I have to say I think there is a bit of a disconnect between their insistence on period accuracy in using #5 zippers (which I don't mind) combined with their standard leather being CXL (far too thick and heavy to be a period-accurate garment leather and thus not very compatible with #5).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ