Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone seen this bow before?

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh yeah!

IMGP0579.jpg

I have a Canadian Biltmore fedora that was designed after the Stetson's open road. It has a bow very much like that. I would have to say that your hat is indeed a vintage Stetson. Maybe from the 50's at the latest. I'm in no way an expert on hats but, I know how to tell an original from a contemporary model.

The other detail that gives it away to it being vintage is the wind string or wind trolley (The thin cord around the ribbon)

Sure would like to see more of that hat! It looks to be a nice one.

=WR=

Dusty Rhodes

Suspended
tonyb said:
Thanks to the kind assistance of Snrbfshn, I think I've figured out how to post pictures, such as this one of my Stratoliner's bow.

http://photobucket.com/albums/f83/t...rent=IMGP0579.jpg&slideshow=paused&interval=3

I've never encountered such a bow before. Anyone got a clue about it? Does it indicate a limited factory run? Or the hat's vintage? It's a Royal DeLuxe version, if that's any help.
I have too Tony, My Tan Strat is also a Royal Deluxe and has that. See here:
http://public.fotki.com/formerblueangel/felt_fedoras/royal_stetson_strat.html
DR

D. Hats

One of the Regulars
Hmmm, I guess we can gather that the "Royal Deluxe" Strat ribbon treatment is different that the "Royal" Strat ribbon treatment. Tony, I know you've got more Strats than I. My one brown Royal Strat does not have that treatment... Oh Great, give me something new to desire !! Thanks a heep!

Dusty Rhodes

Suspended
D. Hats said:
Hmmm, I guess we can gather that the "Royal Deluxe" Strat ribbon treatment is different that the "Royal" Strat ribbon treatment. Tony, I know you've got more Strats than I. My one brown Royal Strat does not have that treatment... Oh Great, give me something new to desire !! Thanks a heep!
Hell I figured I was the only one with this particular bow on my Strat. Now I know there are at least two of them out there LOL I've never seen one like that before I got my, or since. So DHats, keep your eyes peeled VERY sharpley! ANd my interent is back up at home, so I'm back on Ebay, looks like I missed a few nice ones while I was gone, but at least they went to agood home: Yours! :rolleyes: :cheers1:
DR

D. Hats

One of the Regulars
Dusty I don't know if you saw the thread on the Dobbs Rainbow, but since I saw the photos JP shared of his I'm very anxious to get mine... I'm a little worried it might be a tad tight, and I can't cut my hair any shorter than it is now.
I need to spend some dough on home projects... the wifes hinting heavily about new carpet... I know I'm hooked, but I really should do the carpet thing. This means I'll need to back off the ebay thing... yeah right, no really, okay, there I go again talking to myself....

Oh, see that borsalino that's coming up any minute?
Take it easy,
Doug

Dusty Rhodes

Suspended
D. Hats said:
Dusty I don't know if you saw the thread on the Dobbs Rainbow, but since I saw the photos JP shared of his I'm very anxious to get mine... I'm a little worried it might be a tad tight, and I can't cut my hair any shorter than it is now.
I need to spend some dough on home projects... the wifes hinting heavily about new carpet... I know I'm hooked, but I really should do the carpet thing. This means I'll need to back off the ebay thing... yeah right, no really, okay, there I go again talking to myself....

Oh, see that borsalino that's coming up any minute?
Take it easy,
Doug
Doug,
You're telling me! I need gutters, and entertainment center, and TV for the living room. Gutters....hats....gutters....The choices are terrible. Your wife and my soon to be moving in Girlfriend sound exactly the same! Darn females!
I did see that thread as I can check the FL at work. And I looked at the auction last night, a beautiful hat. I've noticed some of these older hats listed in the auctions as 7 3/8, but having a circumference less than 23". I'm 23 1/4" with a fresh haircut so I gotta get stretch most of my hats or get a nice headache while wearing them.
Oh yeah I see it, I wish. I think I need to invest in one good straw instead!
DR

D. Hats

One of the Regulars
Straw.... bug !

I've actually seen some pretty nice straws... come summer I know I'm gonna wish I "Invested" in a couple. I do already have a couple that I bought brand new that I'm pretty partial to though. I guess I just won't have the veriety that I have in felt.... unless the straw bug bites me like the felt bug bit me.

My younger son is bugging me to get on the PC... it's the only one in the house... Olympics is just starting here... I guess I'll sign off a watch what you've already seen.

Talk to ya soon

OK, so here's what it looked like when I got it.

IMGP0561_1.jpg

My dear, lovely, understanding wife knew I really, really wanted it, so she set a sniper-proof bid. (This was back in December, when she was stuck for what to get me for Christmas.) We ended up paying $79.50, which is more than I would have paid (I'm notoriously cheap) but which still qualifies as a bargain these days. It's essentially new. I gave it a center bash and a fedora pinch and wear it with my brown zip-up leather jacket and blue jeans. It goes back in its period box (which came with the deal) at the end of the day. Some lucky buzzard will end up with it after I've gone to the Great Lounge in the Sky. And it will still be in nice condition.
Yes, Dusty, there are at least two such Strats still in existence. It's good to know where the other one is.

Brim measures right at 2 1/2 inches. With the crown "open" it's something in excess of five inches tall, but it's hard to get an accurate measurement. Bashed as it is, it's about 4 3/8 inches at the front, the same at the back and just a whisker under 5 inches at the sides. It WAS a size 7 1/8. And it was a small 7 1/8, to boot. When I removed it from the shipping container and dropped it on my head I thought I would just leave it in its box and eventually use it to barter for something that actually fit. I have successfully stretched many a 7 1/8 before but, as I mentioned, this one was a smaller-than-average 7 1/8 and I was fearful of doing anything to damage it. So I let it sit for a few weeks, hoping it would miraculously grow, before I set the water to boil and went for the stretcher. (Following Art's advice to another Lounger that the steam helps "relax" the felt and ribbon.) I also used some shoe-stretching juice on the leather sweatband, spraying it on both the inside and outside surfaces while being careful not to spray any on the felt or lining. Just to be certain, I masked off the brim and liner with paper towels and then placed folded paper towels along the inside bottom of the crown before I turned the sweatband back into its proper position and dropped in the stretcher.
It worked. It has taken three or four applications of steam and shoe-stretching stuff and overnight stays on the stretcher to gradually work it into something more like my size, and it IS a touch on the snug side yet. But it hasn't tapered a bit and I'm confident that in time it will grow accustomed to my head size and hold that dimension.
I wouldn't necessarily recommend do-it-yourself hat stretching. The potential for ending up with an oddly shaped crown and a wavy brim is always there, and there are limits to how much an old hat will give before it says uncle. But if you use common sense and follow the advice offered by the old hands here at the Lounge, and GO SLOW (say that part again, GO SLOW) you can indeed stretch up a size (7 1/8 to 7 1/4, say) or slightly more without regretting it.

Dusty Rhodes

Suspended
No I don't

The real Henry said:
Looks very nice to me! Especialy the color great!

BTW- Dusty Roads you've a great hat collection! Do you have a pic of the Mallory 15 lining?
Just about all my hats are boxed up for the season, as in still in my moving boxes. Once i did it out, I'll shoot some and post them.
DR

Dusty Rhodes

Suspended
tonyb said:
Brim measures right at 2 1/2 inches. With the crown "open" it's something in excess of five inches tall, but it's hard to get an accurate measurement. Bashed as it is, it's about 4 3/8 inches at the front, the same at the back and just a whisker under 5 inches at the sides. It WAS a size 7 1/8. And it was a small 7 1/8, to boot. When I removed it from the shipping container and dropped it on my head I thought I would just leave it in its box and eventually use it to barter for something that actually fit. I have successfully stretched many a 7 1/8 before but, as I mentioned, this one was a smaller-than-average 7 1/8 and I was fearful of doing anything to damage it. So I let it sit for a few weeks, hoping it would miraculously grow, before I set the water to boil and went for the stretcher. (Following Art's advice to another Lounger that the steam helps "relax" the felt and ribbon.) I also used some shoe-stretching juice on the leather sweatband, spraying it on both the inside and outside surfaces while being careful not to spray any on the felt or lining. Just to be certain, I masked off the brim and liner with paper towels and then placed folded paper towels along the inside bottom of the crown before I turned the sweatband back into its proper position and dropped in the stretcher.
It worked. It has taken three or four applications of steam and shoe-stretching stuff and overnight stays on the stretcher to gradually work it into something more like my size, and it IS a touch on the snug side yet. But it hasn't tapered a bit and I'm confident that in time it will grow accustomed to my head size and hold that dimension.
I wouldn't necessarily recommend do-it-yourself hat stretching. The potential for ending up with an oddly shaped crown and a wavy brim is always there, and there are limits to how much an old hat will give before it says uncle. But if you use common sense and follow the advice offered by the old hands here at the Lounge, and GO SLOW (say that part again, GO SLOW) you can indeed stretch up a size (7 1/8 to 7 1/4, say) or slightly more without regretting it.

I don't have mine in front of me but I think it's around 2 3/4" in the brim department with about a 4 1/4" Crown. Mine got wet recently in some rain so I procedded to curl the brim up in back to replicate how it might look if it was stored in that very oval shaped Stratoliner box they were sold in. I love it but could use a few more in a Zypher Weight lightweight felt.
DR

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dusty Rhodes said:
I love it but could use a few more in a Zypher Weight lightweight felt.
DR

After seeing your hat collection, Dusty, I know we
all feel sorry for you...

Tony, cool hat, cool bow. Thanks for showin' us.

D. Hats

One of the Regulars
Tony, Dusty, notice the ribbon on that 100...

... doesn't even have the cool ribbon treatment your Royal Deluxe Strats have... weird, you'd think it'd have a very nice ribbon treatment, go figure?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy