Anyone spec'ed leather jacket with alpaca wool in sleeves?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Bulldozer, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Bulldozer

Bulldozer One of the Regulars

Has anyone spec'ed an Aero jacket with alpaca wool in the sleeves as well as the body? How did you like (or hate) the result?

2. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

Seems no one has. Probably because it isn't a good idea. The sleeves of the shirt will cling to the alpaca and be difficult to put the arms through.

ton312 likes this.
  3. Bulldozer

Makes sense! What about the quilted lining, mainly the one with the navy sateen lining. Has anyone gotten one with them in the sleeves also?

4. Grayland

Grayland One Too Many

I had an Aero Teamster relined (not by Aero) in a quilted sateen-like material. Body and sleeves. Very warm and my arms slide in an out very easily.

Guppy and Bulldozer like this.
  5. El Marro

El Marro Call Me a Cab

I have moleskin in the sleeves of both of my custom Aero jackets. It’s nice and warm and I don’t find it especially bothersome or sticky when putting the jacket on and taking it off.

Edward and Bulldozer like this.
  6. Bulldozer

Thanks. Any chance you know how the warmth of the moleskin compares to the warmth of the quilted lining or the alpaca?

7. Peter Bowden

Peter Bowden Practically Family

The Aero Hudson has alpaca lined sleeves as a standard feature.I have never had any problems with shirt or sweater material clinging to it.

Bulldozer likes this.
  8. ton312

ton312

Alpaca is a miserable choice in my opinion, unless you plan on thick layers between you and the jacket. I’ve had three in it and all were itchy and annoying to various degrees. I’d much rather have corduroy or moleskin. It’s simply not comfortable at all.

Jejupe and Carlos840 like this.
  9. Bulldozer

Is moleskin really that warm?

I'm also interested to hear comparisons between moleskin and the navy sateen quilted lining, both in terms of warmth and durability.

10. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

Get the quilted lining in the sleeves; plenty of warmth, and you arms will slide with ease.

Bulldozer and HoosierDaddy like this.
  11. El Marro

El Marro Call Me a Cab

Bulldozer,
    I’m sorry to say I don’t. I don’t have any jackets with the quilted lining nor the alpaca. I would venture a guess that either one of those would be quite a bit warmer than the moleskin.

Bulldozer likes this.
  12. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

My half belt deluxe is lined in alpaca, with cotton drill in the sleeves. I have no problems with the lining, which is warm but not super warm. For warmth in cold weather I layer under with a wool sweater.

Bulldozer likes this.
  13. torfjord

torfjord Practically Family

Their B-10 is lined with alpaca in both body and arms, I have one that I bought off the rack. In my opinion, it is not itchy or uncomfortable. I can wear it with only a short sleeve tshirt without any problems. I know other people have different experience with alpaca though. I’ve very rarely had a problem with itchy wool products, so perhaps I’m just less sensitive?

Having alpaca in the sleeves makes the jacket even warmer. I wore mine out today with only a T-shirt in about 30 F/0 C, and it kept me warm.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

14. Carlos840

Carlos840 My Mail is Forwarded Here

I've never had any kind of wool/animal alergy, when my GF ordered her Aero she received a sample of the Alpaca.
    I couldn't even be in the same room as that small sample, it made my nose and my eyes instantly go red and itchy.
    A jacket lined in that thing would have killed me.
    I really have no idea why as it never happened before and hasn't happened since, but i had massive reactions to that Alpaca. If you go for it, make sure you handle a sample first to be safe.

El Marro, ton312 and Bulldozer like this.
  15. Imuricecreamman

Imuricecreamman Practically Family

I have alpaca lining in the body and sleeves of my Pike Bros N1 and it's amazingly comfortable and warm as long as you wear a sweater. It's rather itchy in a thin t-shirt. It also adds quite a lot of volume to the sleeves especially and I suspect it would look a bit out of place on some of Aero's "lighter" designs. My horsehide barnstormer has sheepskin lining and a woolbacked quilted lining in the sleeves which makes for a slimmer "arm-silhouette". I ordered my Aero halfbelt with the quilted lining in the body, but not sure which they choose for the sleeves.

Bulldozer likes this.
  16. willyto

willyto One Too Many

I don’t have alpaca lined jackets but i have the Intrepid Himel which is reversable (corduroy/troy wool blanket) and only thing you need to do is stand up with the arms a bit to the sides a bit when you put it.

The shirt sleeves fall down once you get moving if they got caught.

Warmest jacket I have.

Bulldozer likes this.
  17. Bulldozer

Thanks. How long have you had your coat with the quilted lining? Was it the rayon finish or the cotton sateen finish? Has it held up well over the years?

18. Jejupe

Jejupe Practically Family

I have an Aero Long half belt with moleskin for sleeve lining and quilted for body lining. For me the body with quilted lining feels considerably warmer than the moleskin. I wear this jacket only when it gets below 0 celsius because the body lining would otherwise be too warm. I have also a barnstormer with cord lining, and I’d say the cord sits somewhere between moleskin and quilted in terms of warmth.

Aero’s alpaca I find too itchy for me without layers between me and the wool.

ton312 and Bulldozer like this.
  19. Bulldozer

Thank you, very helpful! Any issues with the quilted lining tearing or sagging in the sleeve?

20. Jejupe

Jejupe Practically Family

I have quilted lining only in the body of the jacket (as it usually is with Aero) so I cannot comment on quilted in the sleeves, but its sturdy lining And for the body lining I haven’t had any issues with it.

Actually I’ve never heard of Aero jacket with quilted sleeve lining, so I am not sure if they’re willing to do it. You should ask them, if that’s what you want.