Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone tried dyeing hair with pomade in?

xadamx

New in Town
I just assumed that dye wouldn't take if i had Murray's in cuz of the petroleum and whatnot. So anytime i redo it i just wash the pomade out. However, having weird looking hair for 4 days or so while trying to get out all the traces of pomade isn't too great. Anybody ever tried dyeing with pomade still in? Also, how do all those Dax shampoos that claim to get pomade out work? I can't find any of them around me, so i'd have to order it and i don't want to waste my time if it doesn't really work much better than normal shampoo.
thanks.
xax

Rosie

One Too Many
Putting a wee bit of baking soda in your shampoo will get an sticky stuff out. I usually do that about once a month as a clarifying shampoo. However, test it on a small section of your hair, my hair is afro textured in it's natural state (not straight unless I straighten it) so........ test it out first.

FredDairy

Familiar Face
To wash murray's out use dish washing soap, you may have to do it twice but it should all come out. Remember pomade repels water, so put the dish washing detergent in your hair first. I always assumed Elvis stopped using pomade around the time he dyed his hair black. So just by going by Elvis hair procedures I wouldn't go using pomade and hair dye at the same time. But, I think the big problem would be everytime you wanted to redye you would have to degrease.

jake431

Practically Family
The other problem is with any sort of lightening - bleach - you need grease on your scalp to prevent it from irritating it. I've been told it's best to lighten your hair when it's unwashed somewhat. If you are darkening it, I don't think the chemicals are quite as irritating.

Ah, the benefits of friends who work in Salons...

-Jake

magneto

Practically Family
Yep, take the pomade out of your hair as suggested by everyone, but remember to use it (or any vaseline-type product) to coat your ears, neck, forehead before doing the dye-job. The thick grease will repell the dye from staining those areas when the dye runs/drips/smears, as it will do. Nothing like sneaking out to the drugstore with black drip-marks on your forehead to buy dye remover because you forgot this vital step when coloring your hair! :)

xadamx

New in Town
Thanks to all. Yeah I no stranger to the ins and outs of hair dyeing. Just the hair dyeing and pomade wearing at the same time. I was hoping someone would say "no i dye my hair with pomade in all the time". But it would seem i have to continue my regiment of pomade removal every few weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot