Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone up for a little Celebrity Gravehunting?

DecoDahlia

Familiar Face
Hollywood Forever (former Hollywood Memorial Park) is the L.A. area (in the heart of Hollywood) cemetery which does summer outdoor film screenings, hosted by a group called Cinespia. for more information check the links below:

http://www.cemeteryscreenings.com/

Their MySpace:

http://www.myspace.com/cemeteryscreenings

Also, The Art Deco Society of Los Angeles gives an annual Halloween tour of Hollywood Forever, check the website for more details; it's usually held in October.

http://www.adsla.org/

An invaluable resource for finding celebrity graves is Find-A-Grave:

http://www.findagrave.com/

Miss 1940's

Practically Family
Mojito said:
A great idea, Miss 1940s. I was particularly intrigued by Aimee Semple McPherson's grave...now there was a Jazz Age scandal! (Although I understand she still has a good many followers).

I have quite a few of them somewhere - many maritime rather than entertainment related. One favourite is a shot of what is allegedly Dick Turpin's grave in York. And many, many of Michael Collins' grave (I visit every time I'm in Dublin) and other Glasnevin graves. It's like a who's who of Irish history...everyone from Maude Gonne to Brendan Behan. Some of the 1916 Rising leaders, Roger Casement (relocated there in 1965), Daniel O'Connel,l, Charles Stuart Parnell, Gerald Manley Hopkins, O'Donovan Rossa...
amiee's is somethinf eles!

Mary Pickford, made me think of my dad's cousin's house on the water in Babylon on Long Island. As I understand it, their home was orginally built for Mary Pickford as a summer home of sorts. It was right on the bay and at the opening of a canal. It was pretty big with 2 stories and with property of about a quarter acre. The docks were well sized and they had a great porch like dock over the water on the bayside. The crabbing was pretty god for blue claw off their docks. Unfortunately a mix up with the insurance company billing and a hurricane combined to destroyed that house.

Miss 1940's

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
Mary Pickford, made me think of my dad's cousin's house on the water in Babylon on Long Island. As I understand it, their home was orginally built for Mary Pickford as a summer home of sorts. It was right on the bay and at the opening of a canal. It was pretty big with 2 stories and with property of about a quarter acre. The docks were well sized and they had a great porch like dock over the water on the bayside. The crabbing was pretty god for blue claw off their docks. Unfortunately a mix up with the insurance company billing and a hurricane combined to destroyed that house.
speaking of forest lawn chain lol
I really love the one on west Covina?
John, are you near that one?

Miss 1940's said:
speaking of forest lawn chain lol
I really love the one on west Covina?
John, are you near that one?
It is just off the 10 freeway on the hill east of Grand Avenue. Big place, my sister in laws dad was buried there early this year. i haven't visited the grounds much.

I do like the view from near the top of Rose Hills looking west towards LA on a real clear day. It is pretty fabulous. I have taken visitors there just for that view, downtown LA is really cool to see from there and the vista is enormous.

lady eel

New in Town
DecoDahlia said:
Hollywood Forever (former Hollywood Memorial Park) is the L.A. area (in the heart of Hollywood) cemetery which does summer outdoor film screenings, hosted by a group called Cinespia. for more information check the links below:

http://www.cemeteryscreenings.com/

Their MySpace:

http://www.myspace.com/cemeteryscreenings

I went to a fabulous party at that cemetery, for a band to kick off their tour a couple years ago. I was amazingly creepy and so much fun! The bars were set up in the mausoleums, there were side show type performers, a DJ, dancefloor, etc. so cool!
I really want to hit one of those screenings!

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
Real Swell Gal said:
I have this book called Stairway To Heaven The Final Resting Places of Rock Legends.

That's a good one. Another good book about dead celebrities is They Went That Away by Malcolm Forbes. It's a collection of brief stories about famous people, how they lived, and how they died.

The best book for finding the resting places of the stars is Final Curtain. It has a table of cemeteries and celebrities buried there, and a table of celebrities, how they died, and where they're buried. Sort of a paperback database of the famous and dead.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
DecoDahlia posted a link to "Find A Grave" before and thats a regular on-line "haunt" of mine. Its a great resource for cemetery walkers.

freebird

Practically Family
My Cousin and Uncle are buried in the same cemetery as Daffy Dean, haven't went to visit his grave yet. I found this info out through my genealogy research on findagrave.com

Haversack

One Too Many
The three cemeteries up this neck of the woods that are particularly good for name-spotting and sightseeing are the Mountain View Cemetery in Oakland, the Old Sacramento City Cemetery, and the necropolis of Colma just south of San Francisco.

The Mountain View Cemetery in Oakland, (http://www.mountainviewcemetery.org/history.html), is an Olmstead-designed Victorian memorial park. Rather like a hillside Golden Gate Park only with a bit more sculpture and a non-transient permanent population. One famous section is dubbed Millionaires’ Row as it is full of elaborate Victorian Mausoleums built by families that did rather well in the latter half of the 19th C. Notables include one quarter of the Big Four, Henry Kaiser, and the architects Maybeck and Morgan.

The Old Sacramento City Cemetery, (http://www.oldcitycemetery.com/), was founded in 1849 and is another Victorian Era graveyard full of elaborate stonework and names of people who founded the state. Notables interred here include Johan Sutter, another quarter of the Big Four, various governors, Donner Party survivors, and a Crocker or two.

The town of Colma was originally just a small unincorporated collection of houses and businesses. It began to find its destiny as a necropolis in 1900 when the government of San Francisco banned the construction of new cemeteries. Grave digging here really began to boom after 1912 when San Francisco decided to close all the cemeteries within San Francisco, disinter their residents, and move them to new homes in the many rapidly expanding cemeteries that surrounded the hills and valleys around the original little settlement of Colma. (The story of this mass migration of the dead is one for another day. Just let it be said that not everyone who was supposed to leave did.) Consequently, the vitally-challenged outnumber the Quick of Colma by a factor of one thousand to one. (I have not heard whether they continue to exercise the franchise however.)

Since there are so many different burial grounds within Colma and since they continue to add population, there are a broad variety of architectural styles to be seen. Notables interred here include Norton I, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico; William Randolph Hearst, Wyatt Earp, and Joe DiMaggio.

Haversack

HoneyBee

New in Town
Haversack said:
The Mountain View Cemetery in Oakland, (http://www.mountainviewcemetery.org/history.html), is an Olmstead-designed Victorian memorial park. Rather like a hillside Golden Gate Park only with a bit more sculpture and a non-transient permanent population. One famous section is dubbed Millionaires’ Row as it is full of elaborate Victorian Mausoleums built by families that did rather well in the latter half of the 19th C. Notables include one quarter of the Big Four, Henry Kaiser, and the architects Maybeck and Morgan.

Haversack

The Black Dahlia, Elizabeth Short, is buried at the Mountain View Cemetery, and also Victor Bergeron, founder of Trader Vic's!

I used to live just down the street and loved taking walks though there in the afternoons. Such a gorgeous place.

~Loryn

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
I love to visit cemeteries, see avatar <<<< When I'm in California I like to pay my respects to Eddie Cochran. Forrest Lawn Cypress. Marilyn and Dean at Westwood.
EddieCochran.jpg

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I don't have pics, but I've visited the graves of Patsy Cline, Hank Williams, Jimmie Rodgers, Groucho Marx, Marilyn Monroe, Nat King Cole, Marion Davies, and many others.

I also love to do self-guided tours of stars' homes (no bus rides for me) when I'm in Los Angeles.

I also once did a Raymond Chandler tour, driving by several of his residences and a number of sites that are featured in his novels.

Miss 1940's

Practically Family
goldwyn girl said:
I love to visit cemeteries, see avatar <<<< When I'm in California I like to pay my respects to Eddie Cochran. Forrest Lawn Cypress. Marilyn and Dean at Westwood.
EddieCochran.jpg
[/QUOTE
westwood is Behind a Libary!
I have this really funny story! Ill have to tell it sometime!
well anyways, marilyn and Dean are like a few feet away!
also peggy lee, natalie wood, donna reed, eva Gabor, eddie albert,eve arden,jack lemmon........simply scads of celebs there too see! and since the cemetary is so small, they are easy to find!

Miss 1940's

Practically Family
skyvue said:
I don't have pics, but I've visited the graves of Patsy Cline, Hank Williams, Jimmie Rodgers, Groucho Marx, Marilyn Monroe, Nat King Cole, Marion Davies, and many others.

I also love to do self-guided tours of stars' homes (no bus rides for me) when I'm in Los Angeles.

I also once did a Raymond Chandler tour, driving by several of his residences and a number of sites that are featured in his novels.
Nat king Cole. In that same area, there is Burns and Allen, and I think Jeanette Maconald is right Below Nat!
as well as Alan Ladd and Marie Macdonald is there too!
Oh and Marion at Hollywood Forever, right across from her is Tyrone Powers!

The One Cemetery I suggest going to would be Hillside and Holy Cross in Culver City! they are Both Swell Cemetries and the People Leave you alone there, not like the stalkers at Glendale Forest Lawn, they will follow you around! its really annoying!:rage:

Miss 1940's

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
It is just off the 10 freeway on the hill east of Grand Avenue. Big place, my sister in laws dad was buried there early this year. i haven't visited the grounds much.

I do like the view from near the top of Rose Hills looking west towards LA on a real clear day. It is pretty fabulous. I have taken visitors there just for that view, downtown LA is really cool to see from there and the vista is enormous.
I actually think I have Relatives there in covina!
I have been to all the Big famous cemes, all except for the one In chatsworth! I wont drive out there, I mean I love Ginger Rogers and it would be swell too see her, but its so out of the way!
from Glendale to Hollywood Hills is Like 20 minutes lol
One day Ill go there. Yeah Rose hills is Quite Nice, I think its in Montebello isnt it? I know its right before Los Angeles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner