Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone use Renapur on leather jackets?

Plumbline

One Too Many
I too have used it on jackets .... it's a great product and is natural and free of distillates ( unlike pecards for example) .... it can be quite a "heavy" dressing and certainly improves water resilience ( the beeswax I guess) and I've seen no long term negative effects over the 10 or so years I've been using it ( albeit not exclusivly .. I do tend to chop and change conditioners depending on the jackets needs)

Overall I guess my conclusion is that there is no " silver bullet" when it comes to leather conditioning .... it depends on the needs of the jacket. I've used a heavy conditioner like Renapur typically on older jackets which are a bit dry .. I use Ca-cho-line (sp?) on REALLY dry old leather and I use Jeffries leather conditioner ( which is fat based) on modern jackets just for a bit of treatment and to soften them a little. I also have six of seven products to choose from.

HTH

It's horses for courses I guess ....

devilish

A-List Customer
Yep, I've used it on almost every leather item I've owned for years now. Started with shoes and progressed from there. Shoes, jackets, bicycle seats and bags. It's the best I've come across. Much preferred to either of the Obenauf products or Pecards. I've never found it to darken anything in any significant or lasting way when applied sparingly. It waterproofs really well. Also doesn't leave that 'squeaky' feeling afterwards that other products I've tried do.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
My understanding re: Renapur is that it is not made to be used with aniline leather. Per their website: "Renapur Leather Balsam, Leather Cleaner and Hi-Shine are for use on finished i.e. smooth leather only. Do not use on suede, nubuck or fully aniline type leather." So this would rule out its use on most Good Wear A2's, for instance.

Last edited:

devilish

A-List Customer
I read that 'warning' after I'd applied to a Good Wear and an Eastman A-2. So far it's shown no ill effect on either, it's been on them for awhile. But I guess it's up to everyone's own conscience.

Stand By

One Too Many
I've just put a good application on my ELC 1942 Patt. "Irvin" - the one with the dried out finish. It went on just fine and looks great. Nice and shiny.
I know it says not to use it on aniline finished leather, but I can't see why. It just works.

A couple of weeks ago, I also put it on my ELC RW B-3 and it went on great too - sheepskin and HH facings. No probs and it looked great.
I also put it on my Blundstones on that day - and I had to walk through a huge puddle of slush after work - and it immediately beaded off perfectly. Not a chance of anything permeating that. So that was good timing - and a great demonstration !

So I'm most encouraged by the results so far. I'm loving it. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen