Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anyone wear grey hair?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
crwritt said:
Kamikat, can you post a new picture? Are you still growing it out?
I got another cut on the 1st of the month. I think I have one more cut to go. Right now, it's set on rollers. I'll take pics tomorrow.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
UGH! Today, I feel like giving up! I've been dying my hair red since I was 15 and I feel frumpy and matronly with brown hair.
I was looking at old pictures today and thinking how much I loved this color.
2701382701_e1ff510639_m.jpg

Compared to this color
4032774000_4bff9a85e8_m.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
kamikat said:
UGH! Today, I feel like giving up! I've been dying my hair red since I was 15 and I feel frumpy and matronly with brown hair.
I was looking at old pictures today and thinking how much I loved this color.

Kamikat, I will be perfectly blunt with you :) I love you with the red hair. I give you huge kudos for letting the gray come in because I really do envy lovely gray hair - but you're too young for it and you look hot and vibrant with red hair. With the natural hair you don't look frumpy or matronly, just not as vibrant and alive.

You're a beautiful young woman - do what it takes to help you feel the same way.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Kamikat,

The way the pics presented on my screen, I could only see the first one. I was like, "Yes, YES, that's the color I'm talking about!" It is a fabulous red and one I could go for in a heartbeat.

Then I scrolled down and saw your second pic. Eventhough the red is a gorgeous color, I feel like your face, features, lovely blue eyes stand out with the brown.

It donned on me that perhaps I just like your lipstick in #2, so I closed one eye and covered the lip color with my finger. Nope. It's not the lip color. I think the brunette complements you.

Are you going to go one shade of brunette or is the goal salt and pepper?

Edit: I meant to add, I am between colors too. My entire front is pretty heavy grey right now but my back is old dark brown color with some brassiness I loathe. When I pull my hair up (which is daily) it looks like I have the wrong color extension in the back. grrrrr There is no way I can stay grey because I'm too washed out. When I do color, I always get the same remark, "You look 10 years younger". I dunno.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Inky said:
Kamikat, I will be perfectly blunt with you :) I love you with the red hair. I give you huge kudos for letting the gray come in because I really do envy lovely gray hair - but you're too young for it and you look hot and vibrant with red hair. With the natural hair you don't look frumpy or matronly, just not as vibrant and alive.

You're a beautiful young woman - do what it takes to help you feel the same way.
I think the problem is that my hair isn't as gray as I thought it was. There's a good, solid streak on the top, but the rest is 50/50. If the white was solid, it would look fantastic. I'm just not there yet. The good thing is that now my hair is healthy and virgin. I was thinking about doing ManicPanic on unbleached hair for a darker color since it's so gentle.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
23SkidooWithYou said:
Are you going to go one shade of brunette or is the goal salt and pepper?
The original goal was mostly salt with a little pepper, but it turns out that I have more pepper than I thought. Here's a picture with the wig I wear on occasion. It's a much darker brunette than I am naturally. I like it but not sure if I like it more than red.
4113137848_993915931d_m.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
kamikat said:
I was thinking about doing ManicPanic on unbleached hair for a darker color since it's so gentle.

so what does healthy hair feel like, lol, it's been so long since I've had it.

I used to do Manic Panic's vampire red over my friend's natural light brown hair and it gave her a rich dark cherry color.

Can't wait to see what you decide!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Inky said:
so what does healthy hair feel like, lol, it's been so long since I've had it.

I used to do Manic Panic's vampire red over my friend's natural light brown hair and it gave her a rich dark cherry color.

Can't wait to see what you decide!

You'd think it'd be great and all, but it holds a curl even less. My wetsets last less than 12hrs now. I've done Vampire Red and Pillarbox Red over bleached hair and like both. I think the color in the above picture was Pillarbox over dyed brown, so it's more vibrant than it would be over virgin brown. I'd like to try Infra-red or Divine Wine but my local Sally's doesn't have it. I have to decide if I have enough patience to order them. I'm also curious to see if it picks up brighter on the gray or doesn't take on the gray, leaving me with white streaks.

Inky

One Too Many
kamikat said:
You'd think it'd be great and all, but it holds a curl even less. My wetsets last less than 12hrs now. I've done Vampire Red and Pillarbox Red over bleached hair and like both. I'd like to try Infra-red or Divine Wine but my local Sally's doesn't have it. I have to decide if I have enough patience to order them.

Ohhh, not holding a curl - that makes perfect sense. No wonder my over-processed clown hair curls so well, haha.

If you're going to order anyway and want my .02, try Special Effects. It stays so much longer than Manic Panic (on my bleached hair so I would assume it would stay better than MP on virgin hair as well) and the colors are much better. Blood Red is nicer, deeper and richer than MP's Vampire red. Nuclear red is a crazy bright (orange base) red. In my avatar it's Devilish (a more pink-toned red), my new favorite.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Is that the brand that you used to be able to get at Hot Topic? If so, my Sally's has a few colors. I helped a friend do blue with it. I've looked at the burgundy wine, but that was back when I was bleaching. I don't know that it would show up on virgin brown. I might have to go with Devilish or Hot Lava for a good color on virgin brown.

Inky

One Too Many
kamikat said:
Is that the brand that you used to be able to get at Hot Topic? If so, my Sally's has a few colors. I helped a friend do blue with it. I've looked at the burgundy wine, but that was back when I was bleaching. I don't know that it would show up on virgin brown. I might have to go with Devilish or Hot Lava for a good color on virgin brown.

I'm not sure, we don't have a Hot Topic here (we don't even have a mall - but we have lovely strawberries and broccoli!) and I can't remember if the one when I lived in San Diego had it or not. But I recommend it over MP anyday - it might only give you a mild touch of color on virgin hair, still it's worth a try and won't do damage - I wonder how the gray would take the Devilish.

crwritt

One Too Many
So, Kamikat,
I guess you don't like your gray enough to post pictures? I guess I'll just have to hide my disappointment. After all, its your hair, do what pleases you.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
crwritt said:
So, Kamikat,
I guess you don't like your gray enough to post pictures? I guess I'll just have to hide my disappointment. After all, its your hair, do what pleases you.
The post above where I compare my red to my natural color is the latest picture I have of the gray.

ricki

Familiar Face
Thanks for the link C-Dot and thanks for reminding me about this thread. I have another hairstyle that I've been meaning to post here that comes with a pretty picture:

patternedInSilver002.jpg

It's called "Patterned in Silver". Doesn't she look gorgeous?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
She does look gorgeous! Very regal :)
It's funny: Grey hair today is so taboo, as if your womanhood has ended once you stop camouflaging it. But the ladies you've posted look just lovely - Some of them could pass for very young platinum blondes.

jayem

A-List Customer
I don't have gray hairs (yet...) but when I do get them, I plan to not dye over. I have nothing against women who dye their grays, but to me... aging naturally is part of beauty. I hope my hair will salt & pepper... and it most likely will since I have raven dark hair with a reddish tint. As much as I think youth is beautiful, so is aging. I guess I just have an artists soul :)

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
In suspense...

So, Kamikat...

You sort of left us with a cliffhanger. ;)

What's it gonna be?
SILVER Bells or Rudolph the RED Nose Reindeer for the holidays?

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jayem said:
I don't have gray hairs (yet...) but when I do get them, I plan to not dye over. I have nothing against women who dye their grays, but to me... aging naturally is part of beauty. I hope my hair will salt & pepper... and it most likely will since I have raven dark hair with a reddish tint. As much as I think youth is beautiful, so is aging. I guess I just have an artists soul :)

That's what I thought, until I really started to get the gray. If I had darker hair, it might look OK, but as a reddish dark brunette, all it does is make to overall effect blah and mousy. I ain't no mouse! So I dye almost all of it to my original color, and leave some stripes so I can track how the gray progresses, and still have contrast. I hope someday to see more gray than brown and then go the opposite direction and become all silver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner