Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anyone wear grey hair?

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
chanteuseCarey said:
in our local Art Deco Society named Alice. She frequently wears her long grey hair in a low bun and dresses 20s. It looks wonderful on her!
And WHAT do we have to do to get her to become a Lounger, I ask you?

You will all love her, she is one of my dearest friends and terribly erudite about all things of the era.

Here she is with me...but darn it, wearing a turban so you can't see the hair...

l_61f89a9c8ec3c91abb372c6c36e89e4c.jpg

Grant Fan

Practically Family
kamikat said:
I started getting grey hairs when I was 15 and started dying my hair then. I noticed a few months ago that my hair was nearly white. I've decided to grow out the dye and go natural. My mom, who has natural jet black hair, keeps telling me white hair will make me look old, but my face doesn't look that old.
My boyfriend is 26 his hair is naturally jet black, well what isn't gray is naturally jet black. His hair is mostly white now but here is a picture of him, I don't think he looks old, so i agree with you go white (and I think coloring your hair when you get older to cover the white can actually age you more). But here is my boyfriend you can make up your own mind weather it ages him but I don't think it does and I don't think it will age you eather. PS I intend to let mine turn white when it starts.
TopGun4.jpg

Hawaii031.jpg

Geiamama

One of the Regulars
I adore grey hair.
My Grandfather turned completely white by the time he was 21 and both my mother and Grandmother have the most beautiful salt 'n' pepper hair. It's so beautiful and elegant unfortunately I follow my father and have completely black hair.
Definately let the grey come in. It screams confidence and elegance. (Not to mention making people like me completely jealous!)

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
I love grey hair! I think it's lovely on most people, and now that so many folks dye theirs, it exudes a lot of confidence.

I started going grey at 18 or so, but it seems to have stopped spreading. I have to admit i'm a little disappointed. Except i've recently realized that the grey hairs are twice as frizzy; i think it's hard to manage now!

P.S. Spitfire, your wife is gorgeous!

Maguire

Practically Family
I've got plenty of grays but most of the time the fact that i use gel makes them hard to see without really looking but i will often get "wow you know youve got gray hair" comments. I suppose i don't mind gray hair, I say enjoy it whatever color it is, as long as it lasts.

LipstickPride

New in Town
pure white

My natural dark ash blonde hair started going grey in my 30's.
Im now pure white and I dye it as im far too young skinned to pull it off.

MissHannah

One Too Many
LipstickPride said:
My natural dark ash blonde hair started going grey in my 30's.
Im now pure white and I dye it as im far too young skinned to pull it off.

If my hair was pure white I would SO stop dyeing it - if your skin is young looking it'll just look like a Harlow platinum blonde!

harvesthobo

New in Town
Spitfire your wife is beautiful!

I hope my hair turns white when I get older, but even gray would be fine with me. I promised myself that when I start getting grays I'm not going to dye my hair; I think it looks so much better to go natural at that point. It stinks that there's such a stigma on it - there are so many lovely people with gray hair and I think growing it out shows confidence and class as opposed to "letting yourself go" or whatever people think. Plus I read somewhere that if you try to get rid of grays by dyeing, plucking them, etc., they'll just grow back kinky and coarse and even more of a pain.

My grandmother dyed her hair red until her death at 75, and although it was a realistic color it still looked a bit out of place on someone her age... I really don't want to look like that. I wish I knew of some way to kind of force my hair in the direction of white once I get older though - I just think it looks so pretty ha.

MissHannah

One Too Many
harvesthobo said:
Spitfire your wife is beautiful! Plus I read somewhere that if you try to get rid of grays by dyeing, plucking them, etc., they'll just grow back kinky and coarse and even more of a pain.

Grey and/or white hairs are often a different texture than your previous hair colour. Some people with naturally straight soft hair find that their greys are wiry and wavy - it's just the luck of the draw what you end up with, but dyeing and plucking won't make it any worse, although plucking is definitely a bad idea!

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
MissHannah said:
Grey and/or white hairs are often a different texture than your previous hair colour. Some people with naturally straight soft hair find that their greys are wiry and wavy - it's just the luck of the draw what you end up with, but dyeing and plucking won't make it any worse, although plucking is definitely a bad idea!

When i was a kid and my mom started going grey, she would pluck the grey hairs she found. That was when she only had a couple, but i used to tell her not to pluck them, because if she kept it up she'd end up bald when she was Granny's age lol . So...sometimes kids aren't very tactful, but i didn't understand why grey hairs were a problem - still don't!

She leaves her hair natural now - it's about half-greyed. But she still plucked out my first grey hair when she found it while braiding my hair! My friends always tried to do it too; drove me crazy ;).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner