Apparel Arts v1.3 Summer 1932

Discussion in 'Suits' started by Baron Kurtz, Jun 18, 2012.

1. The next installment is the Summer 1932 edition. Again, this cover needed to be heavily digitally restored. But this one was easier and so is complete.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bk

2. DJH

DJH I'll Lock Up

Absolutely fantastic scans and restoration, Baron. They look as though they were printed yesterday!
    Thank you for putting in the effort to do this.

3. The Wiser Hatter

The Wiser Hatter I'll Lock Up

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

4. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

The green 'beach jacket' with cream lapels (by Mehringer & Co) is absolutely amazing.

5. The Summer Palette:

I love the faces on the green tie to the right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bk

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  6. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

Interesting to note that with the summer oufits, the men in the illustrations are wearing hats (one assumes they are panamas) with the rear of the brim turned down, rather than up as one might expect.

7. The linen DB with chocolate brown trousers doesn't work at all, IMO. The grey trousers don't work much better.

bk

8. skyvue

skyvue Call Me a Cab

Great work, Baron -- thanks!

I found a couple of things particularly interesting. One, I had no idea (and perhaps I'm the only one who didn't know) that Swank had been around quite that long.

Second, I'm curious about the terminology in the ad for the ankle socks. Was "slacks" a term once used to refer to specifically casual or "sport" trousers?

9. AntonAAK

AntonAAK Practically Family

Agreed but I think it could work if there was some other brown in the outfit somewhere. Maybe the tie or hat ribbon or shoes.

There is some splendid stuff here, Baron. Many thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

10. Yes, I had wondered. the Holeproof ad certainly seems to mean slacks as in trousers for sport.

bk

11. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

Interesting. On Saturday I was effectively wearing that outfit, minus the hat (grey trousers/blue shirt/white jacket/white shoes/diagonally striped tie). I though it worked rather well.

12. Well, this is after all a web quality reproduction of the scan of a "scan" of a drawing. I may be wrong in my estimation of the merits of the particular combo.

bk

13. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

I'm not overkeen on the brown trousers. That said, i think the use of the yellow bow tie and pocket square works well with the brown trousers. Given the right shades, I think it could look rather good.

Evan Everhart likes this.