Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apple iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebop

Practically Family
Twitch said:
Then, to the store we must go! Don't spare the horses and damn the cost! We must possess the absolute latest thingy!lol lol
No kidding. From what I can tell, that new Apple iMac is the exact same iMac that I bought 4 months ago, except that aluminum replaces the plastic (any good reason?) and the keyboard is slightly different (is there something wrong with my keyboard?) The rest is the same. I suppose it will be as much better than the "old" iMac than the iphone is better than the other cells with more features than anyone needs.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ive only seen a few cases for a redesign.

1) the whole line of plastic Macs is being phased out for a sleeker look (the UI and the higher end models are all the brushed aluminum)

2) the plastic components are too expensive

3) they got a better deal on the inner components and did a redesign to compensate.

4) LCD are pricey, maybe the redesign was caused from a new screen. Has happened before.

It dont matter to me, Im happy on my Mac Pro (stupid name) :)
It was always cool to take the buggers apart to see what was changed. We geeked out pretty bad at most of it (specially the Mac Minis).

LD

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Playing with iWork today. Numbers is quite different from Excel and there's a learning curve, but it is the same in "feel" to Pages and keynote. Export and imort from Excel is seamless though.

Salv

One Too Many
Want to buy an iPhone, but don't want an AT&T contract? Or can't wait for them to be released outside the US? Here's how to open up the iPhone to non AT&T networks http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/

NB: according to a report in the NY Times about this hack
There is apparently no U.S. law against unlocking cell phones. Last year, the Library of Congress specifically excluded cell-phone unlocking from coverage under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Among other things, the law has been used to prosecute people who modify game consoles to play a wider variety of games.
...so Apple shouldn't be flexing it's legal muscles at this post...

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
NYT tech report iphone unlocked

snippet:
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: August 24, 2007
Filed at 7:05 p.m. ET

NEW YORK (AP) -- Armed with a soldering iron and a large supply of energy drinks, a slight, curly haired teenager has developed a way to make the iPhone, arguably the gadget of the year, available to a much wider audience.

George Hotz of Glen Rock, N.J., spent his last summer before college figuring out how to ''unlock'' the iPhone, freeing it from being restricted to a single carrier, AT&T Inc

An AP reporter was able to verify that an iPhone Hotz brought to the AP's headquarters on Friday was unlocked. Hotz placed the reporter's T-Mobile SIM card, a small chip that identifies a phone to the network, in the iPhone. It then connected to T-Mobile's network and placed calls using the reporter's account.

read full article

S

Samsa

If someone unlocks their iPhone and uses it with another network, that will prevent them from using it as a web browsing device (unless they happen to be in a hot spot). No?

Smyat

One of the Regulars
iPhone and Vista 64

I owned an iPhone for two hours. Then I found out that it's not compatible with Vista 64. Now, if Apple had bothered to tell anyone that, I wouldn't have bought the damn thing in the first place, or would have happily waited for a compatible version.

You'd think it would be easy to tell users that the version of iTunes needed for activation and sync isn't yet 64-bit compatible, right? The honest thing to do? Well, Apple didn't bother. In fact, they concealed the fact about as well as they could. And more importantly, after pissing off thousands of buyers, they still haven't changed the web and package info, over a month later.

Go ahead. You run Vista 64. You want an iPhone. Go on over to the iPhone site and do your homework. See how long it takes you to find the joker in the deck, even having been clued. It's buried DEEP. And it's not in any of the places you'll look - in the places it should be.

I don't buy such things without a lot of homework. I distrust Apple when it comes to Windows compatibility, just as most Mac owners distrust Windows for compatiblity with their stuff. So I looked really, really carefully... and never found that joker until I couldn't make the damn thing sync on my system and Googled for reasons why.

I am dead center on target for iPhones - and in the small percentage that could really use that handheld power. But I'm very unlikely to try buying one again, especially after being stung for a restocking fee I'm still disputing.

And if you think about it, the overlap between iPhone buyers who run Windows and those who run the biggest, baddest version of Windows (Vista 64) is likely to be high, no? Big boys, big toys, ya know?

Verb. sap., ladies and gents. :rage:

Fast

Familiar Face
Mac OS

Fellow Mac OS users, it occurs to me that we have been waiting for Apple to get off the phone and finish the new OS release.

Kinda like having teenage kids back in the house. . .

Carpe Diem
Fast

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I'm hearing these horror stories about new iphone users receiving ENORMOUS bills after using the things for the first month,...I mean pages and pages that arrive in a box! :eek:
Is there any truth to this rumor?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Yes. AT&T apparently itemizes each connection, whether via Edge or WiFi. So the bills some got were boxed. Each line item as a $0.

AT&T announced this week that they had corrected this. No more boxed bills.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Fast said:
Fellow Mac OS users, it occurs to me that we have been waiting for Apple to get off the phone and finish the new OS release.

Kinda like having teenage kids back in the house. . .

Carpe Diem
Fast

Ive been playing with 10.5 for a while. Its super rad, but there are a LOT of UI bells and whistles that you can tell are gonna slow down a persons compooter.

Ive never had interest in the iPhone, I hate the phone. No matter how cool its incarnation. :rolleyes:

LD

matei

One Too Many
Well, thanks to inventive "hackers" out there, providing several methods, an unlocked iPhone is up and running here on the Old Continent.

Yeah, it might not be a big deal to folks in the US, but it isn't available here in Europe, and when it is, it'll probably be locked to one particular carrier. We like to change carriers over here like some people change ISPs.

Anyhoo - it is a fraction of the price we'd most likely pay for it when it comes out over here. Can't use "visual voicemail" yet, as that is an ATT server-side app, but that is OK.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
MrBern said:
NYT tech report iphone unlocked

snippet:
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: August 24, 2007
Filed at 7:05 p.m. ET

NEW YORK (AP) -- Armed with a soldering iron and a large supply of energy drinks, a slight, curly haired teenager has developed a way to make the iPhone, arguably the gadget of the year, available to a much wider audience.

George Hotz of Glen Rock, N.J., spent his last summer before college figuring out how to ''unlock'' the iPhone, freeing it from being restricted to a single carrier, AT&T Inc

An AP reporter was able to verify that an iPhone Hotz brought to the AP's headquarters on Friday was unlocked. Hotz placed the reporter's T-Mobile SIM card, a small chip that identifies a phone to the network, in the iPhone. It then connected to T-Mobile's network and placed calls using the reporter's account.

read full article

Hard to believe anyone would pay so much for a hacked phone. Lets see if the bidder pays up...

From the article:
On Thursday, he put the unlocked iPhone up for sale on eBay, where the high bid was at $12,600 late Friday. The model, with 4 gigabytes of memory, sells for $499 new.

matei

One Too Many
MrBern said:
... where the high bid was at $12,600 late Friday. The model, with 4 gigabytes of memory, sells for $499 new.

Some people are just lazy, some have too much money... others suffer from both afflictions at once.

Feraud

Bartender
The silliness continues..

Teen trades hacked iPhone for new car Tue Aug 28, 6:03 AM ET

The teenage hacker who managed to unlock the iPhone so that it can be used with cellular networks other than AT&T will be trading his reworked gadget for a new car.

George Hotz, of Glen Rock, N.J., said he had reached the deal with CertiCell, a Louisville, Ky.-based mobile phone repair company.

Hotz posted on his blog that he traded his modified iPhone for "a sweet Nissan 350Z and 3 8GB iPhones."

"This has been a great end to a great summer," Hotz wrote.

The 17-year-old Hotz said he will be sending the three new iPhones to the three online collaborators who helped him divorce Apple Inc's popular product from AT&T's network. The job took 500 hours, or about 8 hours a day since the iPhone's June 29 launch.

Hotz made the deal with Terry Daidone, co-founder of CertiCell, who also promised the teen a paid consulting job.

"We do not have any plans on the table right now to commercialize Mr. Hotz' discovery," Daidone said in a statement.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070828...d&printer=1;_ylt=AtQEA6vNoUfsM6OkioOu59NH2ocA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace