Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apple iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

scotrace said:
Did you see that this morning's iPhone software update causes the user's skin to turn green at the first cheeseburger joke they tell...

:icon_smil

That must have been written by the Hamburglar.

hamburglar.gif

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
idid

....and now I am thinking I might have made a big mistake.

As much as I have thumbed my nose at Mac, I have to give credit where credit is due. Much of what the iphone is, meets my wish-list for a PDA phone. The competition is being slow to respond...which is a surprise to me....so I decided to bite the bullet and buy one today. At first I was very happy thinking that this was going to be a wonderful jump in technology and getting much closer to my ideal phone.

My celebration was cut short after spending the past three hours trying to get this thing to work right and learning of what seems to be limitations in how you can use it, I am seriously considering returning it and getting my money back. The Mac utopian message of "it all works like bliss....get an Apple and life is effortless" is a pipe dream. I am hoping that I find run-arounds and fixes for the problems. Here are the issues:

1. It won't sync with my calendar.

2. It won't sync with my contacts.

3. It doesn't have a file manager that I can find.

4. It isn't represented on windows explorer on my PC computer.

5. Therefore there is no way to drag and drop between the PC and the iphone.

6. As far as I can see the only way to transfer anything to this gizmo is via itunes!

7. Actually.....transfer was not actually accurate. You can only add files by "syncing". Therefore you can't just copy a file over.

8. iphone doesn't recognize subfolders. For example, I have a folder for photos of my daughter. There are subfolders for various birthdays and other events. The iphone just dumps them into one big folder.

9. When trying to add other folders it erases previous folders.

10. It appears that the only way I am going to be able to load my music library to the gizmo is to rearrange the whole library from scratch in itunes.

11. I can find no way to delete a file on the iphone.....actually.....I can't even find a way to find the name of any file on the darn thing.

12. If there is a way to copy and paste text on it.....I am unable to find it.

I could go on but you get the idea. The thing was designed to work on a mac. I have always disliked Apple because their approach reminds me of communism. They don't allow free thinking or choice. It is like Lexus designing a car that will only run on Lexus gas, Lexus oil, Lexus tires with a radio that only receives Lexus radio stations. Oh....yeah....it will only drive on roads built by Lexus too.

So far it works as a phone. All my data is on my old PDA....which can't make or receive calls now that I have transfered my number. I am stuck between two devices. I will let you know how it works out...or not.

I am going to go take some aspirin now.:cry:

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Thanks Scott. I so very much would love for this thing to work....but I am pretty sure this thing is going back to the store today.

13. Can't eliminate the tones on the keypade of the phone. I have learned there are very, very few settings on this phone you can adjust.

14. No Frecell or any other games......but I assume you can download them.

18. Notes from Outlook don't appear to be possible.

19. No word processor for Word docs.

...and the straw that is breaking the camel's back.....

20. I can't access the internet at my home on it. That is AT&T's fault. Their network is just not that good yet.

I think Apple is on the right track and I am very pleased they have gotten the market back on the right track. Palm pulled PDAs in the direction of a smaller screen to have a keyboard so that kids can type "how r u?" To heck with that. Give me screen! I want to see pictures and surf.

As I said, Apple is on the right track.....but it isn't there yet. It still falls a bit short as a gizmo and if you haven't drank the Mac coolaide....it will give you headaches.

I am going to mess with it for a few hours today. If no joy....they can have it back.

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
Couple of things (very minor):

You can turn off the key clicks very easily. Either set the phone to silent mode, which turns off all sounds, or go into the setting, sounds, and near the bottom of the screen you will see "Keyboard Clicks"- slide the toggle to "off."

There are no games "built in" to the iphone, but if you use the browser and go to apple.com, and follow it over to the far right side of the page, you will find webapps. You can use this to find a wide variety of games, including a pretty good solitaire, sudoku, and I believe a freecell...

Admittedly, I am a "Mac guy", and think this phone is great, but it does indeed have its limitations...

Cheers,

RC

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

I called Apple. They confirmed all my findings on the limitations as being correct. I have switched back to my old PDA and the iphone is going back.

My old PDA might not be as pretty but it is:

1. Much faster on the internet.

2. Far easier to manage files.

3. Has Outlook Notes.

4. Has Word.

5. Syncs with ease.

The words of Han Solo come to mind:

She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. ;)

solo.jpg

S

Samsa

New iPhone

Anyone out there considering getting the new and improved iPhone, for sale July 11? Here's a link to the product and a report on its unveiling.

For $200 I will consider it in November when my current contract is up.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I would like to but there's no way I'm going with AT&T again. Their service is awful in my area.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Zohar said:
I would like to but there's no way I'm going with AT&T again. Their service is awful in my area.
Same here. I'm wondering when or if the Apple/AT&T exclusivity deal will run out and the iPhone will be available at other carriers.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Tomasso said:
Same here. I'm wondering when or if the Apple/AT&T exclusivity deal will run out and the iPhone will be available at other carriers.

Supposedly AT&T has exclusive rights for four more years. It's possible to jailbreak a first gen iPhone and use it on T-Mobile, but they're not in my area.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Samsa said:
Anyone out there considering getting the new and improved iPhone, for sale July 11? Here's a link to the product and a report on its unveiling.

For $200 I will consider it in November when my current contract is up.

Cool. Now it will be as fast on the internet as my previous phone. Too bad they didn't address the other issues yet. They should have at least made it possible to cut and paste. Excellent move lowing the price, though.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,365347,00.html

Think that new $199 iPhone is going to save you money over the older $399 model? Guess again.

AT&T is raising its minimum monthly service subscription for the new iPhone from $60 to $70 per month, according to the Associated Press.

That's an extra $240 over the lifetime of the two-year contract — more than the $200 initial savings on the handheld's retail price.

And all you "unlockers" probably won't be able to buy an iPhone directly from Apple and then jimmy it to work on another network with a cheaper plan.

That's because it looks like Apple isn't going to sell them online any more. It's not taking pre-orders on its Web site, as it has for every other device it unveils before they're ready to ship.

Instead, you're instructed to go to a brick-and-mortar Apple Store — where dollars to doughnuts you'll be forced to sign your name on a two-year AT&T service contract, just as you would in an AT&T retail store.

Salv

One Too Many
AT&T are being exceptionally greedy it seems. O2 have the contract to sell the iPhone in the UK but they won't be increasing their monthly tariffs. They will be keeping their three original tariffs - £35, £45 and £75 - and will also be introducing a fourth, cheaper, monthly tariff at £30.

Prices for the phone in the UK on the two lower tariffs will be £99 for 8GB, and £159 for 16GB. The 8GB will be free for customers on the top two bands, while the 16GB will be £59 for customers on the £45 tariff, and free on the £75 tariff.

Details of O2 pricing here for the Brits who may be tempted. I'm certainly considering getting one now. Anybody want to buy a 16GB iPod Touch?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
MK said:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,365347,00.html

Think that new $199 iPhone is going to save you money over the older $399 model? Guess again.

AT&T is raising its minimum monthly service subscription for the new iPhone from $60 to $70 per month, according to the Associated Press.

That's an extra $240 over the lifetime of the two-year contract — more than the $200 initial savings on the handheld's retail price.

And all you "unlockers" probably won't be able to buy an iPhone directly from Apple and then jimmy it to work on another network with a cheaper plan.

That's because it looks like Apple isn't going to sell them online any more. It's not taking pre-orders on its Web site, as it has for every other device it unveils before they're ready to ship.

Instead, you're instructed to go to a brick-and-mortar Apple Store — where dollars to doughnuts you'll be forced to sign your name on a two-year AT&T service contract, just as you would in an AT&T retail store.

The (speculated, at this point) price for the iPhone 3G plan from AT&T exactly matches every other smartphone plan they offer. It doesn't appear to be "premium" pricing for this model, they've just folded it into all their other smartphone plan structures.

Purchase and activation procedures are, at this point, guesswork.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80