Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Appraising straight razors

Flapjacks

New in Town
Hey all,

I scored some sweet razors from two antique stores in the Midwest today. Two are Wusthofs in beautiful condition, and one is a "Blue Steel" from a company out of Olead, NY, called Union Cutlery. I also got three boxes, two of which are in good condition. Can anyone appraise them, or point me to a source?

See Picture.
Thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/f48ZU.jpg

Flapjacks

New in Town
Thanks! Both are sweet, and in mint condition. The one with the emblem has a "3" on the shank; the other one has a "1" on the shank. Both then say "Ed.Wusthof Solengin". The one with the "1" has the emblem on the shank as well.

Scottish Steve

New in Town
I'd give steve dempster at www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk a couple of pics for info/rating. He's also a pretty good honemeister, which is a rare and wonderful thing nowadays. If you need a strop, please tell the vendor he MUST pack it in an inflexible box, with lots of padding. I got one which was sent in an envelope and it got a kink in it, effectively ruining it.

Addendum:- I've just had a look at the invisible edge site, for the first time in more than 18 months and the urge to shave with a straight is returning!
Check out the Thiers Issard page. some droolworthy pieces at the bottom of the page.

Last edited:
There are some straight razor shaving forums on the web. FYI - there was a book published ages ago with $$$ listed, but note that most books that are old the pricing is not in line with today. Use caution in restoring them. One can damaged an edge or the gold imprints on the blade very easily.

google straight razor restoration you may find someone that can point you to an appraisal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo