Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Appropriate Dress to Wear As Wedding Guest. Black? Red?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
waingirl said:
My husband and I just got married on Sept. 8th. We had a "Casablanca" themed wedding. Here's some pics. This is my attempt at Veronica Lake hair. It was very humid that day, I am surprised it stayed in place! I beaded about 30 lampshades to look like the lamps in Rick's Cafe. Our wedding program's looked like passports. We used vintage Paris postcards for our RSVP's. The bridesmaids wore different black floorlength gowns, with cute platform peeptoe heels. (found the shoes at Marshall's) I can't wait till the professional pictures come in!!:D

with Jeff's grandparents-
brodelswedding002pt4.jpg

brodelswedding009nj8.jpg

my shoes-
dscf0129mz7.jpg
bridesmaids shoes-
dscf0135zf0.jpg

my lampshades, before and after-
dscf0146cw8.jpg
dscf0143na3.jpg

You look Beautiful! Great pictures of your happy day!

missmelly

One of the Regulars
I had a vintage wedding also!

Our theme was vintage travel. I'm not to sure how to date this dress; 30s maybe??
ZR014.jpg

ZR084.jpg

ZR064.jpg

ZR138.jpg

ZR077.jpg
Hairdo...it was done in fingerwaves.
ZR153.jpg

ZR151.jpg
Our "getaway" car

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Beautiful Miss Melly!

It looks like a 30s dress, is that burnout velvet? And I like a bride in red!
It is actually the traditional wedding color all over the world, before white became popular about 150 years ago.

Josephine

One Too Many
Is it permissible to wear a hat with a veil to a wedding? I have a little black hat that looks like a porkpie pillbox that has a small black veil on it and a rosette type ribbon on the back. The veil is too small to go over my face. I'll post pics of it this afternoon.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Miss Melly - you look gorgeous. I adore your hair and the feather piece in it is darling.
Waingirl - the casablanca idea looks perfect and you too look absolutely adorable.

I have weddings on the brain right now and have no idea with the exception of something vintage what I want to do. It's a good thing its a long long way off. :D

missmelly

One of the Regulars
The Shirt said:
Miss Melly - you look gorgeous. I adore your hair and the feather piece in it is darling.
Waingirl - the casablanca idea looks perfect and you too look absolutely adorable.

I have weddings on the brain right now and have no idea with the exception of something vintage what I want to do. It's a good thing its a long long way off. :D
Thanks! It was a lot of fun to do and actually, very inexpensive to pull off the whole look... I think in the neighborhood of $350 or under.

Josephine

One Too Many
Here's what I'm wearing to my second cousin's wedding this weekend. It's at 2:00 in North Carolina.

BlackHat1.gif
BlackHat2.gif
BlackHat3.gif

Any thoughts on the hat/dress/pearls? I thought pearls as they would echo the white polka dots in the dress. I'm not sure about wearing both, or if I should stick to the longer or the shorter of the strands.

Thanks! :)

ps make up isn't done, I try that out tomorrow.

Miss_Bella_Hell

Please help me find a dress for my brother's wedding! Details inside...

My brother is getting married in April. Here is the catch: it's a

1) Formal
2) Day Wedding
in
3) Kauai, Hawaii.

I am having a hard time squaring those three sort of off-kilter requirements. Does this mean a full-length gown? Tea-length? Cocktail? Any? I have been searching and searching and was hoping some of you ladies might be able to assist by shopping vicariously through me! Here are my (flexible) requirements:

1) Must fit measurements between 38-28-40 (smallest) and 41-30-free (biggest)
2) Must be $200 or less
3) Must be vintage or vintage-inspired/repro
4) Preferred eras are 30s-early 60s.

While I personally love the 40s/50s Hawaiian Shaheen dresses, I casually dropped that it might be fun for people to wear Hawaiian prints and got a very stern "We would hate that." BUT! I could wear one to the rehearsal dinner, so they aren't totally out.

Finally, if you find something in one of your "secret and too awesome to share with FL" vintage internet stores, just PM me and I'll keep your secret. ;) Oh, and I don't know what the policy is for vendors, but feel free to post or to PM me as well.

THANKS!!!!!

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
My all-time favorite stores for this type of dress are Ann Taylor and White House, Black Market. Here are a few examples:

Ann Taylor:

cover.gif

215195_2182

214643_1981

White House Black Market

300110243_011_normal.jpg

300110078_001_normal.jpg

ShortClara

One Too Many
I'm thinking something in the Shaheen style, but perhaps without the island print? You could get a divine pattern and have something made for $200 I would expect. Your peeps might be thinking "ugly Hawaiian shirt" and have no idea how amazing a 50s Kamehameha or Shaheen-style dress can be, though.

Miss_Bella_Hell

ShortClara said:
I'm thinking something in the Shaheen style, but perhaps without the island print? You could get a divine pattern and have something made for $200 I would expect. Your peeps might be thinking "ugly Hawaiian shirt" and have no idea how amazing a 50s Kamehameha or Shaheen-style dress can be, though.

Not a bad idea. I don't have a seamstress around here though. Is there a resource for finding one? I mean, I'm a stone's throw from Manhattan so it can't be too hard.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Maybe something like this? There's only one size left and I'm not sure what size you are, but if you go into a store or call they can find one for you in another store :) I recently had to do that for a friend's wedding.

ShortClara

One Too Many
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Not a bad idea. I don't have a seamstress around here though. Is there a resource for finding one? I mean, I'm a stone's throw from Manhattan so it can't be too hard.

I get some NYC boardies could help out with that.

Oh, and am loving the Cheongsam idea, too! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy