Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Hats Your Main Interest?

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Akubra Man, I like your philosophy...
Me? Er...
Wine. Drank a few thousand bottles. From everywhere. Still have some and drink some, but less fanatical about it.
Marathon running. Ran many thousands of miles. Don't run any more. Sick of it.
I've had a fast car, 1988 Porsche 911, from 2003 til 2006 . Sold it (too much $$ and ...dangerous...).
Thereafter I kept, for one year, a BMW 850 motorcycle. Sold it (my joints -hip, elbow, shoulder- ache, making it ...dangerous...). I'm a bit sorry about both the Porsche and the beemer, but I think there is a time for everything. I hardly ever drive anything, nowadays, and like it.
I read spanish books, literature and history. Slowly.
I have a number of Casio "G-Shock" watches. Black, red, white, cream...horrible, says my wife. I don't disagree, but the time is right. Enough for the rest of my life.
Hobbies? I love my hats. And I met a horse, last week. Very happy about this new friend. Feed him carrots, must be dessert for him (I think it is "her", though, not sure, didn't check).
I forgot espresso coffee. I have three espresso machines, two ECM Giotto's and one La Cimbali Junior. And three grinders, most prominently a Macap, and I roast the green coffee in a Hottop roaster. Whilst I'm not a purist in that we drink espresso with milk, the coffee at our home is ...the best in the world. Won't ya'all come in for a cuppie?
Paul

ken100

Familiar Face
stuff

I just love getting pasionate about stuff, life is too short to waste a day with out feeling you are alive, your a long time dead! I love guitar making, motorcycles, hats, clothes, watches (wow spent some dough on watches) love em, sailing (now thats just ridiculous), shoes, red wine, cooking, my kids, hand made belts and who knows what else will come along, but bring them on! I love life and all the shiney things it presents.
Ken

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
ken100 said:
I just love getting pasionate about stuff, life is too short to waste a day with out feeling you are alive, your a long time dead!

"A house is just a pile of stuff with a cover on it. You can see that when you're taking off in an airplane. You look down, you see everybody's got a little pile of stuff. All the little piles of stuff. And when you leave your house, you gotta lock it up. Wouldn't want somebody to come by and take some of your stuff. They always take the good stuff. They never bother with that crap you're saving. All they want is the shiny stuff. That's what your house is, a place to keep your stuff while you go out and get...more stuff!

Sometimes you gotta move, gotta get a bigger house. Why? No room for your stuff anymore."

Think I'll agree with George Carlin on this...my passion is for family and friends. Hopefully, my "stuff" supports my real passion. One of the things I enjoy about wearing hats is the conversation they start. Same with playing the blues...

leo

One of the Regulars
For me hats are not a hobby. They are for keeping warm, keeping the sun off, and sometimes hiding bedhead. But I do relish the variety and some of the minutiae.

However, my main hobby is...collecting hobbies.

Bill

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For me, hats are for wearing. Granted I have several of them in different styles (10 I guess-ORs, fedoras, a bowler, and a homburg) but I wear them all as the occasion fits. Good cigars, handguns, lots of shooting, and hunting when I can; those are more my hobbies than collecting hats.....but, I really like my hats and I have just bought my first vintage Resistol fedora!

duggap

Banned
No women are!!!!! Just kidding. I have bought 15 hats in the last three years, or an average of 5 per year. Now if that qualifies as my main interest than I plead guilty. But women sure do look good.;)

Ace Fedora

Familiar Face
Oh, if only I had but one interest... life would be less expensive. :)

I have a few hats, none of which cost more than eighty dollars. I started wearing them regularly not too long ago, because I realized that I was otherwise spending money for something only I would see -- and that made no sense.

I'm a consumer of pop culture -- comics, books, magazines, DVDs -- they make up the bulk of my purchases. Specialty foods and fine booze is also high up on my list of money sinks.

I want to be a true renaissance man, but I'm really just a dilettante. :)

HungaryTom

One Too Many
My passion are books, painting and clothing.
In that chronological order.
Hats are a part of good clothing so this is how I get here to the lounge.
Anyhow many posts of loungers are telltale that hats are only the tip of the iceberg and there is soo much more brainpower and interests inside the heads under the hat.
Poor bartenders hat to make a radical cutback because of the amount of topics and threads that were fountaining from under the hats!!!!

Dont ask about my vices....:p

rrog

A-List Customer
After reading all these replies, I just have to say "Wow." There are some amazing guys on this board. A very eclectic bunch of hat-wearers.

I didn't plan on this when I started the thread, but let me add a little about myself. In addition to the hobbies I've already mentioned, I've enjoyed fishing, hiking, back yard football (used to be tackle but now it's touch), working out, the preparation for and running of one triathlon (checked that one off my life's To-Do list and won't ever do it again), reading just about anything from The Call of the Wild to sci-fi to Martin Luther's Sermons. Yes, I actually read the sermons - some have said I'm a closet intellectual. Does that mean I act dumber than a coal bucket?!? :eusa_doh: I love watching football, both college and pro. I've played trumpet since the fifth grade. I played in the Marine Drum & Bugle Corps. I majored in trumpet performance in college. I still play, although I've only got director's chops now (you musicians will know what I'm talking about). I dabble with real estate and fixing rental houses. I'm also a full-time minister so I spend a great deal of time at church. My vocation is more of a calling than a passion. And the absolute most important thing in my life, this side of heaven, is my wife and two daughters. Like some of you, I've gone from one hobby to another and back again many times, but my family is constant. And even though I don't write about them on web boards, I've got a great family. God's blessed me more than I deserve.

And while I'm waxing philosophical, let me just say I've been to too many funerals lately, some for elderly people and some for young people who thought they had their whole lives in front of them. From what you have all written, I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but make sure you live your life. Get off the couch and live it! A personal friend was just diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma the other day. He's not real sure about his life right now. Only God knows. The point is, I'll bet anything that whether he is successfully treated or not, he's going to live life differently from this point onward.

Well, that's my sermonette for today. Thanks for all the replies. I haven't been around here very long but you're really an interesting bunch of people. I enjoy your posts and the site in general.

Y'all have a good day,
rrog

warbird

One Too Many
Welcome. There are several ministers here bouts on TFL. I am in middle Tennessee myself and wander your way quite often except during football season. I can't handle it over there during football season.

Being a former Commodore I don't like the ridicule. Course now this year is mighty fine and though it probably won't end such, currently we have a better record. :)

airspirit

New in Town
My primary hobby is computers and anything related. I enjoy music (former and somewhat current player), fitness, and true literature. Since losing my sense of smell due to a surgery recently, I've also started collecting fine colognes as a hobby (who'd have thought it?) and lived vicariously that way.

(On that note, if anyone is looking for a cologne that sends them back to the golden era and gives off the whole "gentlemanly alpha male" image, try http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120970.html ... women, particularly classy women love the stuff).

I've always admired fedoras. My wife loathes them. On trying on a trash hat at a western store she told me I looked like an idiot. The other day I decided to cruise on down to Bernie Utz Hats in Seattle with her (steaming) and look at hats. I found a nice Bailey LiteFelt Tico that matched my jacket perfectly and decided I'd go with that as a set of training wheels to hopefully bring her around before buying a "real hat" and using this as my rain hat (being Washington state and all). She told me that wearing this is like wearing clown shoes on my head, but I love the hat in a way I've never loved a piece of clothing before. I love her to death, but sometimes ... :rolleyes:

Tomorrow I'm considering going back for a Stetson Saxon in cordova (nearly identical, except in fur felt). I have a feeling that this will become another one of my collected obsessions.

Selentino

One of the Regulars
I'm a clothes guy. Always have been hundred pair of shoes, closets full of suits and sportcoats and I've always worn hats. I've never thought of clothes, hats, and such as hobbies more as my lifestyle. Its hard now because I'm now a blue collar guy so the suits sit but the hats get worn every day. I use to be big on wine women and song but been married for a while now. I feel my hobbies are cigars, books, and single malt. As a kid I worked in a shoe store and the old guy I worked for gave me some great advice. "Life is too short to wear cheap shoes, at any time in your life wear the best of everything that you can afford" I've followed his advice ever since and my wife could care less as long as she gets hers, and Mommy always makes sure she gets hers. lol lol

rrog

A-List Customer
indycop said:
rrog since you are in East Tn. you should try to make it to the Monteagle in Feb.:)

That's not too far from here. Maybe two hours or more? What's in Monteagle in February?

rrog

rrog

A-List Customer
warbird said:
Welcome. There are several ministers here bouts on TFL. I am in middle Tennessee myself and wander your way quite often except during football season. I can't handle it over there during football season.

Being a former Commodore I don't like the ridicule. Course now this year is mighty fine and though it probably won't end such, currently we have a better record. :)

Aw man, I was feeling all "warm and fuzzy" about TFL and then you had to go and ruin it by making fun of our puny little ol' football team. And speaking of ridicule... we're making up for years of it all in one year.

rrog

rrog

A-List Customer
airspirit said:
I've always admired fedoras. My wife loathes them.

Hang in there airspirit. That's partially what this thread is about... how to get our better halves to buy into (literally and figuratively) our hobbies. Mine doesn't always like it, but she eventually tolerates it after a while.

And welcome to the lounge.

rrog

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24