Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are there any Borsalino experts here? Can you recommend a site?

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I'd love to see them in the sassiest moments of their lives!

The pictures showed because you have
around the link. That is an image code, so they would be

Last edited:

Dressedtothe9s

New in Town
I'd love to see them in the sassiest moments of their lives!

The pictures showed because you have
around the link. That is an image code, so they would be www.Your hats are AWESOME.com[IMG], and the photo shows![/QUOTE]

You mentioned a bit back that the serial numbers still might be of use to me, even if they are over 30 years old. Can you say how? Merci'

You mentioned a bit back that the serial numbers still might be of use to me, even if they are over 30 years old. Can you say how? Merci'

The manufacture label itself will likely tell you more than the numbers. Spend a little time scanning through the pages of the Borsalino Brotherhood. It's a great thread with lots of pictures.

Borsalino's from the postwar years through the 1960s are notoriously difficult to date. Unlike some American companies, Borsalino quality and construction character remained high during these years while style variation was diverse. Many of the qualities we use to date American hats - the sweatband construction, plastic crown liners, felt characteristics - are much harder to tie down to a particular decade when it comes to postwar Borsalinos.

There was a transition from this tag (with Borsalino logo):

foldingborso11.jpg

to this tag:

numesca9.jpg

at some point in the early 1950s. If your hats are pre-1950, they will have the first label. If they have the first label they might also be early 1950s. The later label, mid-late 1950s. The Bortherhood thread will show you the transition to labels with typewriter font numbers and letters and without the perfs around the full perimeter that would indicate a later hat.

Post some pictures of your hats and their labels on the BB thread!

Dressedtothe9s

New in Town
Thank Alan! I just took better pictures, which include the inside label, so I will post the pics over on the BB thread when I get them edited. Since you have been so nice to help, would you mind one more question? Not Borsalino, but what exactly makes a whippet fedora...a whippet? Btw, I have decided that I am going to hang around here and learn as much as I can about hats, they are SO fascinating! I specialized in womens vintage clothing, but Im ready to take on something new! Bobbi

Thank Alan! I just took better pictures, which include the inside label, so I will post the pics over on the BB thread when I get them edited. Since you have been so nice to help, would you mind one more question? Not Borsalino, but what exactly makes a whippet fedora...a whippet? Btw, I have decided that I am going to hang around here and learn as much as I can about hats, they are SO fascinating! I specialized in womens vintage clothing, but Im ready to take on something new! Bobbi

That's much easier. It says "Whippet."

Dressedtothe9s

New in Town
So...now that we know it is an earlier label, can we get any closer to a date? And I did look at the liner link and saw some similar thru his photohosting, but I didnt see an associated date. Maybe I didnt look thru enough pages...back I go!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner