Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are there ladies present who have non-retro bf's, husbands?

repeatclicks

Practically Family
My wife got into vintage a few years ago, while I wasnt really into it much at all, clothing-wise. I collected records and had a 1950s record player, and was in to bits and pieces of old music like Johnny Smith, had some old cameras and always loved classic cars thanks to my Dad.

I didnt get fully into the clothing until last year and now Im addicted.

Bettie Booh

Familiar Face
My husband is so non-vintage as one can be, he cant even watch movies from 2005 lol, which I think is terribly boring, since its my way of life, and we dont even match when we go out. He has no style, jeans, tshirt, jacket, shoes, thats just that for him, and he doesnt care how it looks. He always asks what I think he should wear, but never dress like that. After 3 years of marriage, this starts to get to me since we dont have anything in common.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Bettie Booh said:
My husband is so non-vintage as one can be, he cant even watch movies from 2005 lol, which I think is terribly boring, since its my way of life, and we dont even match when we go out. He has no style, jeans, tshirt, jacket, shoes, thats just that for him, and he doesnt care how it looks. He always asks what I think he should wear, but never dress like that. After 3 years of marriage, this starts to get to me since we dont have anything in common.

I understand about the no style - My fiancé spends most of his time in military uniforms, so he doesn't give any thought to his civilian clothing.

As for not having anything in common, based on what you've said, it seems he cares how you see him enough to ask your opinion, which is good! Anyway, it's cute not to match! Just look at GlamourDoll and her boyfriend :)
Perhaps once in a while, you can convince him to dress vintage for you, and reciprocate by wearing a modern look he loves. Low maintenance fellas may not impress, but they will always stand up for us when we need them to.

Bettie Booh

Familiar Face
C-dot said:
I understand about the no style - My fiancé spends most of his time in military uniforms, so he doesn't give any thought to his civilian clothing.

As for not having anything in common, based on what you've said, it seems he cares how you see him enough to ask your opinion, which is good! Anyway, it's cute not to match! Just look at GlamourDoll and her boyfriend :)
Perhaps once in a while, you can convince him to dress vintage for you, and reciprocate by wearing a modern look he loves. Low maintenance fellas may not impress, but they will always stand up for us when we need them to.

Yeah, but whats the poitn of asking me when he doesnt like my style? lol He thinks it looks "gay", in his words. I dont plan to make him wear vintage 24/7, nor live like I do, becaouse he doesnt want to, but it would be nice if he at least had some clothes, as you say, for special occasions. Were attending a swing/lindy hop party on my birthday, it would be nice it he could at least look vintage when we are out and about ;) But we're talking about a man who refuses to wear shorts in 35 degree weather, and have worn his leather jacket almost everyday since he bought in, so I guess Im in over my head here lol

Jezebel_Amazon

One of the Regulars
My current Boyfriend is a Retro-boy... yet he's had a past of loving Oi so his punk rock rebellion tends to come out, out of the blue and he'll throw on some raggdy jeans and studded jean or leather vests, and shirts with the sleeves and necks torn off.. I find it all so charming either way... I'm not so charmed by him wanting me to Oi Music festivals in the UK. I can't complain though.. he is my darling I'm sure I'll be convinced to go to one of these festivals soon.

(This is him back when he was about 17 or 18)
l_a4f3e63184d94e7a823419050bb0571f.jpg

I've dated all kinds of guys before from punk rockers, to *gasp* industrial goths and hippies. I've always been pretty much the same... aside for my love of 77 punk and psychobilly when i was 13-16. Somehow all the guys where intrigued and all sort of willing warped to my lifestyle... (without me saying anything).. I guess they liked being bossed around by a lady in high heels, with red lipstick and 1950s pencil skirts! well all except one... but I don't mention him. :mad: Guess which one he was....

You cant really force you guy to do anything but you can hint all you want and hope for the best.

miss_smith

One of the Regulars
I'd say on a daily basis mine dresses more retro than I do, as he is a very classic dresser (the khakis and polo type) but he won't let me change his hair! It is a very 70s type do and I recently suggested a caesarian, mind you I'd just watched Becoming Jane, or even a Don Draper but he said nay. Of course, I cut his hair so I could always do as I please....

Inky

One Too Many
I mentioned a while back I created a monster converting my hubby to vintage wear. While he is too tall/big to buy much actual vintage, we have good luck with repro's. He prefers the 50's rockabilly/greaser look, so here we are out on the town going dancing.

3941360970_52f9d87267.jpg

Be careful gals, you too might make a monster - he's even more high-maintenance than I am!

cecil

A-List Customer
Inky, that's so funny! You guys look awesome.

The guy I'm seeing dresses sortof rock/punk I guess. Think black jeans, band shirts, long hair and chucks. When he's cold there's a leather jacket with studs and buttons all over it. Although one day a new hat I'd bought from evilbay came in the post and I was so excited that I told him that I was going to wear it and dress up even though I knew we were just going to be watching movies at home! I get to his place and lo and behold, he'd put on his only suit and a leopard print tie for laughs. Bless. lol

He loves Bettie Page though and is into the stuff I wear, though I know that if he had his way I'd look more fun '50s than austere '40s. But he doesn't have his way, so black crepe it is! I don't dress vintage all the time though, when I'm not in a cocktail dress it's band shirts, black jeans and a biker jacket too. I almost bought chuck taylors once until I realised that we'd look like twins...:p

He loves my old movies as well, even the ones I think will be too sappy for him...he surprised me by declaring "Mr Deeds Goes to Town" as the best thing he's seen in ages! He likes my humble but respectable film noir collection too.

Also he's a vintage car nut, but vintage as in '70s. Think Dukes of Hazzard. Hahahaha. He drives a turquoise '69 Chrysler Valiant which I'm a big fan of.

Jezebel_Amazon

One of the Regulars
Inky said:
I mentioned a while back I created a monster converting my hubby to vintage wear. While he is too tall/big to buy much actual vintage, we have good luck with repro's. He prefers the 50's rockabilly/greaser look, so here we are out on the town going dancing.

3941360970_52f9d87267.jpg

Be careful gals, you too might make a monster - he's even more high-maintenance than I am!

Agreed you guys are adorable!

NY_Confidential

Familiar Face
Marzipan said:
I still get irked when I want to hide the microwave and he won't let mw. :)

I HATE the microwave. We should all hide our microwaves!

I don't have too much input to offer on the main subject, other than I had a girlfriend who thought my Drakkar Noir made me smell like "an old man". I could just imagine what she'd think of a fedora!

That being said.. Microwaves make everything rubbery.. UGHHH throw it away!

In closing, I must say.. this is quite a DANGEROUS thread.. what a good place to try and pick up someone else's girlfriend. lol
Just kidding, of course! :)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
NY_Confidential said:
...I had a girlfriend who thought my Drakkar Noir made me smell like "an old man".

What a poor, misguided girl! My soldier won't wear cologne, much less a cologne that divine.

Find a lady who will appreciate your taste! ;)

NY_Confidential

Familiar Face
C-dot said:
What a poor, misguided girl! My soldier won't wear cologne, much less a cologne that divine.

Find a lady who will appreciate your taste! ;)

I always thought the stereotypical "old men" smell was supposed to echo something like Bengay and mothballs. Certainly nothing like Drakkar.

Thank you for the thoughtful compliment, C-dot.
Sometimes I'm too good for my own taste.

Someone on the forums mentioned what it is that Keith Richards wears, I was thinking of trying that sometime myself.

Joonie

Familiar Face
With the exception of being an excellent gentlman, his old-fashioned shaving, and dashing long wool coat, he's just not vintage. And that is fine with me.:)

PS

A-List Customer
My husband isn't, though when we first got together he was a sharp dresser. He has since regressed since he wears a uniform for work. He is in his thirties now and dresses like he is 19. I was out of town a few weeks ago for some work and he sent me this picture from the Target Halloween
41MM6P41X7L._AA400_.jpg
costume department with this message attached:
Chances that you would wear this "just because"? Good. Very good.
We don't spend a lot of time out together in public, he works nights and sleeps most days. I don't know if he particuarlity likes it or not. He tells me I am beautiful but I have to think is is much more of a modern what magazines tell you is sexy type of guy. oh well. his loss but he definitely likes what i wear under the vintage clothes, no doubt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner