Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are We Not Male?

jake431

Practically Family
shamus said:
And you enjoyed this game as a kid?

We used to play it in Chicago when I was a kid - used a nerf and whoever had it had to avoid being tackled as long as possible - if he was about to get tackled he could throw it up and someone else would catch it, becoming the "queer". Ah, the 1980's.

Anyone ever play wallball?

-Jake

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
We played "smear the queer" in the Northeast as well in the 70's. I remember our gym teacher (former majorleague ballplayer) teaching us the rules. Them were the days, I can still taste the Reggie bars...

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Not just man but gentleman

I was called a "guy" by a woman at a coffee shop and I told her I wasn't a guy. She looked confused. I explained that I was male but not a guy; I'm a gentleman. She understood and has remembered since.
Some years ago at the Junior College I would get odd looks from women for whom I had opened a door but it looked more like confusion. They wondered what I was doing or what I was going to do next. Crippled people used to be more offended by the door opening. Now I just ask "Would you like me to get the door?". I hold open doors for everyone. Most people appreciate it.
I try to act like a gentleman at all times. Some people don't understand it but most like it. Hopefully, they in turn act more chivalrously.

The man/male shift, I think, was a reaction to adult females being called girls in the same sentence that a young male is called a man. Just a theory.

Rambling again,
The Wolf

Bebop

Practically Family
Wow, what a strange way of percieving what a man is. Smear the Queer? I bet you also had great little games about black people. Being a man is being able to adapt to change, as in social change, without tripping over your shoelaces. Or look at Sen. John McCain, he was able to adapt to change and recover with spirit and soul in tact. It has little to do with being a father, hating gays, playing cops and robbers, or thinking that the vagina monoulogs are "too much for high school kids". Have you ever heard the vagina monologs? It is just women talking about silly things that they think men don't understand. Things have changed. It is not our fathers world. Just like it will not be our world (unless we bend with it) in 25 years. The question "are we not male" is so different from "are we not men". I think "male" refers to penis and "men" refers to what is in the soul of the man. I ran away from home at 13, lived on the streets until I joined the Army at 17, did my 4 years overseas went to work as a bounty hunter and process server at 22, married, divorced, married again, traveled the world, fighting, cussing, drinking, tatooed and being what is considered "male" and I don't feel anymore of a "man" than my nephew that is a soldier that just returned from Iraq, without a leg , no tatoos, a non drinker, body builder, gentle guy that does not cuss, with a purple heart and a boyfriend. Can I really tell him that he is not a man because he has a boyfriend? He voluntarily went to Iraq to do what he thought he needed to do. That is what I would call a man. Society is screwed up. Things get turned upside down when I least expect it. I wish things were as they were years ago. But they are not. I just beleive that embracing what you can't change is much better than fighting what you can't change.

Bebop

Practically Family
Thank you BB.

Thank you for your condolence Biltmore Bob, but my nephew will be ok. He does not have time for trivial sarcasm about his life. :rolleyes: He has a pretty full life. I don't know if he will be completely ok but at least he is not on a computer trying to relive the past with a dorky nickname, like we are. :cheers1:
By the way, offending people is not against the law. It is a great hobby. Once a day is a little too often for me, but once in a while is always fun.

Bebop

Practically Family
I'll drag some knukles.

The half of me that does do some knukle dragging tends to have the opinion that the masculinization of women is as screwed up as the femininization of men. Women in the same barracks as men? You can't knock some sense into a recruits head the old fashioned way without getting burned? Drill sergents not cussing at their recruits but making sure they don't cross any lines that feminin men and masculine women have set up? Men worried about their hair style, manicures, and suntans? Women bodybuilders? Yuck!! They look and sound like men! Hell, I think you have to be way too much into the male body to be a male bodybuilder so I think that is a femenin thing to do also. Why would a guy want to stare into a mirror and admire the muscles of other men?? Women getting tattoos, smoking cigars, being loud, cussing and becoming construction workers? Actresses wanting to be called actors because being called an actress is some sort of degredation? Girls being encouraged to play sports and give up the perfume? It all smells bad to me.
I like to keep women as different from men as possible. I don't like to see tattoos on women. Even if they have one and I can't see it, I turn off. I don't like to share tobacco shops with cigar smoking women. I feel strange when women open doors for me.
The other half of me that keeps his knukles well above ground knows that we have to change with the times or be looked upon as has-beens that not many people want to deal with. At least here in San Francisco that's the way it works. I know that other parts of the country have different standards. I live in Spokane Wa. part time and I can let loose with some knukle dragging there more than in S.F. But in S.F., I would be a lonley guy if I did not reel myself in most of the time. It's that "embrace what you can't change" thing.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Then of course there's this little tid bit...

Deu 22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so [are] abomination unto the LORD thy God.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
BB-
That reminds me of a story my mother tells about my grandparents. My grandmother allways wore dresses even into the 1970s. My mom and sisters finally convinced her to try and wear pants. She did and liked it so much that my grandfather got mad. He said that he didn't mind if she wore them sometimes,but now she never wears dresses anymore. Grandpa was willing to bend a little. He just didn't want to snap. Times have changed. some for the better...a lot for the worse. ;)

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Biltmore Bob said:
They don't want boys to be boys. Teachers would rather teach girls, they are easier to handle in the classroom. Boys are taught not to defend themselves or even play fight or wrestle at recess. Bullies don't get their asses kicked anymore either for that matter.
The day I let boys be boys and beat someone up at school is the day I get sued and lose my teaching license.

Deut. 22:11 "You shall not wear a garment of different sorts, such as wool and linen mixed together.

Deut 22:30 A man shall not take his father's wife, nor discover his father's skirt.

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
From an anthropological standpoint, it is generally believed that women control what is perceived as a man. Many women do not realize how much power they actually have over men. We will do whatever is necessary to be thought of as men and eligible to the objects of our affections.

J
It is true, I agree. Men commonly perceive that they have the control in society (ie. money, political power, etc.). It's overlooked that much of what men do is to the point of either securing or maintaining sexual access to females. If years from now, women's preferences evolved to something else entirely, men's actions will follow suit. Women commonly can give and withold sex as an end to satisfying their means, not to mention that women also usually manage the domestic affairs of the household. More often than not, I hear of the wife managing the funds and checkbook in the house.

Women have a vested interest in being choosy to whom they pick to have sex with - they produce a limited amount of eggs, their pregnancy is long and poses risks. Traditionally, it has meant that they prefer a breadwinner, someone big, strong, and protective. Equal employment laws, contraception, and the like have changed that dynamic. Nevertheless, studies indicate that the vast majority of women do prefer a mate who is tall in stature and upwardly mobile in class.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Slicksuit said:
Nevertheless, studies indicate that the vast majority of women do prefer a mate who is tall in stature and upwardly mobile in class.

Thank goodness there are women out there that like short guys, or I never would have gotten married! :)

Brad

Slicksuit said:
It is true, I agree. Men commonly perceive that they have the control in society (ie. money, political power, etc.). It's overlooked that much of what men do is to the point of either securing or maintaining sexual access to females. If years from now, women's preferences evolved to something else entirely, men's actions will follow suit. Women commonly can give and withold sex as an end to satisfying their means, not to mention that women also usually manage the domestic affairs of the household. More often than not, I hear of the wife managing the funds and checkbook in the house.

Women have a vested interest in being choosy to whom they pick to have sex with - they produce a limited amount of eggs, their pregnancy is long and poses risks. Traditionally, it has meant that they prefer a breadwinner, someone big, strong, and protective. Equal employment laws, contraception, and the like have changed that dynamic. Nevertheless, studies indicate that the vast majority of women do prefer a mate who is tall in stature and upwardly mobile in class.

Perfectly stated. Sounds like you were in the same anthropolgy 3745 class I was in.
Every part of that is true still today even with contraception and the like. It is just that in most cases we do not do it consciously. If women ever realized what power they really have, men would really be in trouble. :p

Regards to all,

J

P.S. I really have to stop pointing this out because I will lose my membership in the Real Men's Club. ;) :p

Sefton said:
Is that any relation to the "He-Man Woman Haters Club" from the "Little Rascals"? :)

I thought of that when I wrote my previous post but no, I am not a misogynist. I am just a man who knows my limitations. ;) I have been married for 9 years now so I doubt I could pull off the Woman Hater moniker either.
The Real Men's Club is the place where we discuss women and how we might actually be able to understand them some day. We commiserate over wifely questions like: "What are you thinking?" and "Do I look fat in this dress?"
Not to mention the all time favorite: "Don't you notice something different?" ;) :p

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn