Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are You Brave Enough to Share Your Prom Photos?

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I would be brave enough if only I had any photos to share!! What a funny night...I was actually a sophomore (my school was so small that all classes were invited to prom) and my boyfriend wouldn't take me, so my date was my gay best friend. The theme was the 1940's! I didn't have any great dresses at the time, but that was a few years after I had started collecting hats, so my head was well-dressed. I wore a lovely repro dress from Germany that cost about ten dollars, and great stockings of course.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
l_66ce31b805a573683e6de9222ec6d56c.jpg

Me and my high school boyfriend in "twenties" clothes. My dress was from the late teens/early 20's. My headband was made by the lady who did the headpieces for Titanic.

Classydame

One of the Regulars
prom.jpg

Oh, so long ago, 1986 young and idealistic and a mouth full of braces.

I made my dress...black velvet with a purple satin bow and ruffle down the back.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Unfortunately I can't find any of my prom pictures, but for my senior prom I wore this coral 50's cocktail dress (which you totally can't even seen in this picture, but that's how goofy I looked 2 years ago):

1963e.jpg

and this was my lovely date (on the right):

Img_0188.jpg

She wore a knee length black sequined dress with totally gigantic rhinestone skull and crossbones earrings. She dropped out of high school at 15 and went to art school, so it was her first and only prom. We were the coolest people there, trust me.

Katie Brookes

One of the Regulars
Daisy Buchanan said:
My junior and senior year it was at the Biltmore in Providence, which has the most beautiful ballroom that overlooks the city.

... our end of the year 'Farewell Grads' dance was there last year! that place is beautiful! i swear i spent most of my time there staring out the windows, it is one of my last memories of Providence and thinking of it actually makes me miss it quite a bit... which is funny given how much i complained when i was there! what a wonderful place to have had prom!

i will try and find my pics of it, i think they are somewhere lost on the harddrive of my semi-broken school computer...

as for prom... eh... actually i had a fantastic 40s style dress, i will probably end up recycling it for a formal event at some point :) but prom was bittersweet like most of highschool, bitter being the noone-wants-to-go-with-the-tall-metalhead-girl side of it, but sweet cause when everyone bailed on me one of my best friends Sophia showed up in a tux! never had a real date for a dance though, story of my life. but i sure as hell got a lot of attention with a girl for a date, everyone thought i was just trying to be provocative.

this is a fantastic idea for a topic though, my compliments to Hemingway Jones for thinking of it - and for his fantastic prom picture!

pretty faythe

One Too Many
finially

found my high school pics. As stated previously, never went to prom. Was supposed to go to homecoming, seeing how I was nominated (being the only senior female in my club) but wound up not going, due to circumstances beyond my control.
Anyhoo, senior photo

Class of '92!
graduation.jpg

Phil

A-List Customer
Afterthought

I hadn't seen this thred in a bit. And I had pushed prom night out of my mind. I thought it was interesting. Looking back now, it all seems so...insignificant. Maybe I'm in a pessimistic mood tonight, but prom was probably the most idiotic thing I've ever worried about. So much importance on one night. But maybe that's just me and my experience.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Phil said:
Looking back now, it all seems so...insignificant.

You're not the only one. At the time it was full of excitement and significance, now it was just a night we all dressed up and goofed off. Nothing real special now, no great memories, nada. At least for the two of us, others might think differently. [huh]

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
What a hoot!! These are great!
I think it's neat to see how many of us were already influenced by earlier generations and probably dressed a bit differently than others.

I wasted all 4 of my proms on my ex-husband!
Freshman: I was already in love with Gone With the Wind... how 'bout that permed mullet cut, oy! On both of us, lol!
620726459_21fa7d0dc1.jpg

Blue dress is my sophmore year, again.. the dress reminded me of Scarlett's blue portrait gown, which I actually have now! ;) (among others!)
620726327_defcd9bd15_o.jpg

Red was junior year, HEY look! My natural hair color! And a nice 40's chignon..
620726499_ff84978f35.jpg

And last, the senior year with the gold dress~geesh, nothin' like mall bangs and a banana clip.
620726249_686e147606.jpg

Josephine

One Too Many
This pic is from my senior prom ('85). I went to an all girls Catholic school, and I didn't have a boyfriend, and couldn't find a date amongst my few guy friends. My dad had been the commanding officer of his squadron (Navy), and one of his officers said he would take me. He's French, and he and his wife are musicians, and they played a few times with one of the snooty girls in my class. The stunned look on her face as we walked in was sweet. :)

Prom3.jpg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am so jealous!

I got kicked out of regular high school halfway through Junior year, so no proms for me.
They evicted me because I wouldn't go to Phys Ed, so they sent me to a school where there was no Phys Ed, but I could get a whole credit for writing a book report!
I was outta there in 6 months.
But no prom... sometimes I think I am making up for that with the evening gown collection...

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
This is a fabulous thread!

My school didn't have a prom because they believed dancing was sinful and they didn't want to encourage such activity (yes, I did go to school in the film Footloose--except Kevin Bacon must have gotten lost somewhere along the way!). They did throw a formal dinner for us senior year (1986) and I've been trying to find the one picture I have from that event.

I found a marvelous 40's black cocktail dress with a sheer top over an oily slipper satin bustier and skirt. What cracks me up about the picture is that the dress is gorgeous, but I have on these plastic Payless pumps with the skinny 80's heels and my hair looks like I just got out of bed--what was I thinking?

I should post some of my senior pictures too--I look like Betsy Ross in a sweater vest, they're just awful.

imoldfashioned said:
My school didn't have a prom because they believed dancing was sinful and they didn't want to encourage such activity (yes, I did go to school in the film Footloose--except Kevin Bacon must have gotten lost somewhere along the way!).
Ouch, and I thought I had it bad working through mine...:( (but at least I got to snipe stuff off the refreshments table every time my "patrol path" was close)

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Prom 2003, me and my date at Sony Pictures Studios (formally MGM Studios).

prom.jpg

Best of all, the next year the media department at my high school was liquidating some of the older equipment and I got to take her home with me! :D

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
Ouch, and I thought I had it bad working through mine...:( (but at least I got to snipe stuff off the refreshments table every time my "patrol path" was close)

Yeah, they were pretty hard core. I didn't fit in there at all socially or culturally but at least I got a good education.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW