Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aris Allen swing dance shoes

BoPeep

Practically Family
Just recently discovered Aris Allen dance shoes and love the look!! I'm contemplating the tie-on oxfords but am leery of the suede sole. As I'm not a swing dancer, I wanted to wear these on a somewhat daily basis. Are there any dancers out there who can lend advice on the longevity of that sole when worn outside, etc?

Inky

One Too Many
I have several pairs of Aris Allen dance shoes and I wear them on the street all the time and have been for about two years now. I also wear them dancing - the dance police haven't come to get me yet (i use a wire brush on them to clean off the soles).

The shoes that have the "Flexible Raw Leather Sole" will wear just like any other leather soled shoe. The one pair of suede sole shoes I have are wearing just fine - but mind you I live in the Central Coast of California and we don't have severe weather. They are slippery buggers as they're meant to be for dancing, so be careful the first few times you wear them.

All of my Aris Allen shoes are wearing very well and quite a good value for the price in my opinion. They don't all fit quite the same though so pay close attention to any fitting information for the particular pair you are interested in. I have only had to return one pair to them for a poor fit (I buy mine at dancestore.com, and they have very good service)

BoPeep

Practically Family
Thanks for the tip, Inky. I was on Dancestore.com too and saw that they noted the slickness of the sole. Here in Wisconsin they'll probably be be 3-season shoes. Oh, how I wish I didn't have to contend with winter! Although it does give me a chance to wear my fur! :) I think I'll try a pair in red . . . or maybe one of each.

Miss Dizzy Dame

Familiar Face
BoPeep said:
Thanks for the tip, Inky. I was on Dancestore.com too and saw that they noted the slickness of the sole. Here in Wisconsin they'll probably be be 3-season shoes. Oh, how I wish I didn't have to contend with winter! Although it does give me a chance to wear my fur! :) I think I'll try a pair in red . . . or maybe one of each.
I hear you!! I am in MN.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Last year I ordered a pair of Aris Allen Mary Janes as my Christmas present. I was deeply disappointed when they arrived as they were falling apart! The ankle strap was glued to the binding ribbon (not stitched), and the glue was completely peeling apart. I was able to return them, and they sent a replacement... but they too were falling apart! I returned the second pair, and wrote off doing business with dancestore.com.

Buyer beware, I guess.

BoPeep

Practically Family
Miss Dizzy - I've been drolling over those heels as well!! Buying shoes online is always a risk, but most places are good about returns/exchanges. You do get stuck with all that shipping back and forth though. Maybe I'll pass on the Mary Janes, per Babydoll's advice. Mary Janes are everywhere and finding a cute pair isn't too difficult.

bunny chan

Familiar Face

Inky

One Too Many
bunny chan said:
Inky do you really use the suede sole shoes to go outside? If so I will do the same next time!!!!!

B.

I do wear them outside, Bunny Chan, but I live in a very temperate climate with little rain or messy streets and I don't wear them all that often (maybe every other month or so?)

I have the 40's peep toe mesh oxford and even in the shoe description it says:

You're not supposed to wear suede soles outside - but every swing dancer knows that you can make suede soles faster by wearing them everywhere to get them dirty, then dance in them until they're shiny on the bottom.

bunny chan

Familiar Face
Thank you very much Inky, your help is always precious :) !!!

I can wear them during good weather seasons then!!!

B.

Lovely Leah

Familiar Face
Closed Toe Oxfords and Peep Toe Closed Back Wedge

I have a pair of the black velvet closed toe oxfords and a pair of the red and a pair of the black open toe closed back lace up wedges. http://www.dancestore.com/Aris-Allen-Womens-Red-Closed-Back-Wedge/productinfo/161-RD/
When I wear dress up vintage, these are my shoes. Unfortunately, I can't judge how long "sole life" is in these dance shoes as I am usually in my wheelchair these days. I love these shoes, since they look so authentic and more dressy than my usual granny oxfords. I am sure a good cobbler can modify these shoes for street wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner