Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Arm Bands?

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
There are these things I see that men sometines wore on their sleeves worn above the elbow. There were some kinda scretchy band tha looked alot like a scrunchie but interesting looking all the same. Was their a purpouse for wearing these and is there proper name for them? All I can think is "arm bands".

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Yes, there was a purpose. In the days before shirt production was highly industrialized, the sleeves on ready-made shirts came in only one or two lengths. You adjusted the sleeve by using the armband to hold the sleeve to the correct length. You're welcome!

Irena

One of the Regulars
In the old movies (and westerns) printers wore them a lot. Of course, they were the ones who wore a suit jacket to work and took it off while they worked, didn't they? So others on the street would have them, too, but you couldn't see them for the jackets. Am I right?

Us short-arses need to wear arm garters. Otherwise there'd be 4-5 inches o' fabric beyond the end of the jacket arm cuff, there, buddy. Aye.

I've found with my 30s shirts that the arms are significantly shorter than modern numbers (other than custom tailored).

John Helmer sells some nice simple cheap ones.

bk

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The Other Armband

Don't forget the black band of mourning.

When did it go out of fashion? Probably when such public displays of sadness came to be considered unseemly.
I think they served a valuable purpose, alerting all comers that you were in mourning for a close loss. It probably prevented that mortifying 21st century exchange:
"How's yer dad?"

Died a week ago thursday."

"oh."
"How 'bout them Braves, eh?"

3c10625r.jpg

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a set of sleeve garters. It helps me achieve my ideal look for a suit. Just 1/2" of cuff showing. Really helps with adding a polished look to any outfit. Its almost as essential as a pocket square. it also means I don't have to get my shirts tailored to look good. ;)
Johnny

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
ArrowCollarMan? Aren't you going to say "thank you"? ;)
OH GAWD, THANK YOU!! *bows down* lol

But really though, thanks. I always thought they looked cool but wasn't sure for what purpouse they were intended. I thought once that arm garders were to keep the sleeve up but found that strnage because I thougth the shirts would come in different sizes...guess not? [huh] They add a nice touch sometimes...looks better with a vested look. I've seen a music video with a rappa' wearing a vintage-looking grey, 3-piece suit with a news boy cap and arm garders ;) I can't remember which rapper (or was it hip-hop? I dunno much about that music, listen to some of it though) this was...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot