Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Spring is here

Not a new one, in fact my first VS, but a pic amongst the Cherry Blossoms

March2010HDR2.jpg

Jabos

A-List Customer
Bill Greene said:
For us Art hopefuls, what is his current backlog time? Anybody know for sure?

Bill
He told me six weeks when I ordered from him this week. However, that was early in the "Artlite" flood of orders he received. Perhaps more now?

Jabos

A-List Customer
daizawaguy said:
Not a new one, in fact my first VS, but a pic amongst the Cherry Blossoms

March2010HDR2.jpg
Beautiful photo!!!! It was last year's Cherry Blossom photo that pushed me over the edge to order Dusty's "country cousin". Hmm, maybe I will try to get a shot of mine . . .

jporgeck

Familiar Face
Point taken

kaosharper1 said:
If you want it to be a Maltese Falcon fedora, I'd go with a smaller brim. Mine is 2 3/8" which Art says is probably what Bogie had. I have a broad face, so I thought I needed a wider brim but I found that's not so.

Point taken.

I'm basng the brim size on a couple of other hats I have. One is a 2 5/8" brim and the other is 2 3/4". That brim size just seems to fit me. Seems to me that buying something over the net without first trying it is a major challenge, at least for me. Not to say that I won't change my mind at least a dozen more times until Art says I'm in the queue.

A major dilema is that there are no quality hat stores here in sunny S. Florida. I've been toying with a quality hat purchase for nigh on 10 months now. I was in Houston last month on the job and was pumped up to buy a Borsalino and a straw. Unfortunately I had a less than pleasant experience at Miller Hat's store. Not at all accomodatinting or supportive. Got the feeling that the salesman didn't care if I bought a hat or not. Tried on a sweet Borsalino that I loved except for the thin ribbon. Talked to the salesman about a wider ribbon and he told me more about what he couldn't do vice what he could. Anyway I ended up buying a Stetson straw at The Hat Store in Houston. They we very nice, however, didn't have much of a selection of fedoras.

So, until Art says he's ready to start my hat, I'll probable act like a 12 year old and keep changing my mind.:eusa_doh:

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
jporgeck said:
So, until Art says he's ready to start my hat, I'll probable act like a 12 year old and keep changing my mind.:eusa_doh:

That's what I've been (and am) doing for the last 3 1/2 months! I've finally settled on felt and ribbon colors. And the conformer ships on Monday for me! I am so excited for this!!!

flute

jporgeck

Familiar Face
WineGuy said:
For anyone interested, here's a few pics of my VS custom hat in "Whisky" that Art made for me last summer. The band is actually a very dark olive that takes on a brown/black hue depending on the light. I love the Whisky color, I asked Art to bridge the Indiana Jones - Sam Spade gap and I think his color choices were spot on.

This photo makes the felt look lighter than it is, but the band is accurate.
IMG_3916.jpg

This is the most accurate felt color rendition
IMG_4193.jpg

EHtindari.jpg

Wiseguy, first off fantastic looking hat and a cool handle for your moniker.

I'm very much interested and very much appreciate you sharing your pics. I can only hope that my new lid looks as good on me as yours does on you.

I've noticed, based on my felt samples from Art, that my screen doesn't accurately depict the color of the felts, and I have a pretty good monitor. A lot of it is probably attributable to lighting and flash.

What are the specs on your hat? It looks like you have a relatively wide brim. What about he ribbon?

jporgeck

Familiar Face
fluteplayer07 said:
That's what I've been (and am) doing for the last 3 1/2 months! I've finally settled on felt and ribbon colors. And the conformer ships on Monday for me! I am so excited for this!!!

flute

Glad to know that I'm not alone. Misery loves company as they say. And the misery is only in the waiting is what I mean.;)

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
My wife meeting Art in person was the best thing that could've happened. Got the greenlight for not only the 'oxblood' but now I'm in line to get a 'peach'.:D

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Hi jporgeck, thanks for the kind words. The brim 3 1/4" but I don't remember the crown height...but it's taller than normal. The ribbon is a very dark olive with burgundy contra stripe, cut edge no welt, and the hat is finished with a black lining. I find the whisky colored felt to be very versatile...it looks great with my black, grey, brown and olive suits.

Musashi

One of the Regulars
anon` said:
What colour did you get?

My last two were in Mojave and Silver Mist, dress weight. I wouldn't personally want either of those in a lighter weight: they (by which I really mean the lighter colours) are absolutely perfect in dress, IMNSHO.

I was seriously considering getting a movave in lite if available, Due to, well.. Summer. I'm not a fan of straw (yet?!?)

You recommend against it for practical reasons, or is it just not for you personnally?

Barrelhouse

One of the Regulars
WineGuy said:
For anyone interested, here's a few pics of my VS custom hat in "Whisky" that Art made for me last summer. The band is actually a very dark olive that takes on a brown/black hue depending on the light. I love the Whisky color, I asked Art to bridge the Indiana Jones - Sam Spade gap and I think his color choices were spot on.

This photo makes the felt look lighter than it is, but the band is accurate.
IMG_3916.jpg

This is the most accurate felt color rendition
IMG_4193.jpg

EHtindari.jpg

That hat is even lovelier than I remember from last summer Wineguy. How wide is the brim? And that double breasted suit and orange tie looks fabulous on you too!!

Stupid me: I see you answered the brim width question already. I'll read more closely next time.

Scott Wood

Practically Family
What me worry???

jporgeck said:
Glad to know that I'm not alone. Misery loves company as they say. And the misery is only in the waiting is what I mean.;)
All you folks have something about to happen that will make all of this so much easier...
All the fretting and worrying about the choices you are making for this first hat and really, no matter what you choose, when you get it Art will have made it beautiful or not made it at all!!!:eusa_clap
Then you open that first VS box, pop on your first custom VS of your very own, forget all about the worry and bother in the business of stroking, checking the mirror and eventually the pics and a posting in the lounge. THIS is when it really starts...:rolleyes:
You see that first post and think of what you want next. Within another week you "have a few ideas" for the next, and a short time later something happens that "justifies" that next VS. Maybe your auto insurance comes up for renewal and you realize how much cheaper a transit pass would be [huh] , you realize that the house doesn't really need that new roof you just need a couple more buckets :whistling ...
and the wheel turns yet again, only... this time you are experienced, don't have to do the conformer thing and have one to pet whenever you feel anxious :D

OH!!! :eek: :eek: :cool2: , THE FUN OF IT ALL!!! MUAHA-HA-HA-HAaa... :cool2:

anon`

One Too Many
Musashi said:
I was seriously considering getting a movave in lite if available, Due to, well.. Summer. I'm not a fan of straw (yet?!?)

You recommend against it for practical reasons, or is it just not for you personnally?
At little of both, actually.

On the personal front, felt hats really don't bother my that much in the summer. It's probably worth noting that the hottest days in Oregon are also the driest, so they feel relatively cooler. Some place like Florida might change my opinion of this.

On the more practical front, the lighter colours are bleached before being coloured, which makes the resulting felt much softer and more pliant and, IMNSHO the lighter-coloured felts in dress weight are "just right". I wonder if a Mojave Artlite might be too light, but having never handled an Artlite I could be way off.

If you're really stuck on which you'd prefer, I cannot strongly enough recommend giving Art a call. He's a great guy to talk shop with and has yet to lead me in the wrong direction!

Scott Wood

Practically Family
anon` said:
On the personal front, felt hats really don't bother my that much in the summer. It's probably worth noting that the hottest days in Oregon are also the driest, so they feel relatively cooler.
I am the same on the felt in summer issue and also now live in a climate of extreme dry temp. but for years lived with a temperate sea view or a great lake view. I find a light felt that fits well is most comfortable.
anon` said:
On the more practical front, the lighter colours are bleached before being coloured, which makes the resulting felt much softer and more pliant and, IMNSHO the lighter-coloured felts in dress weight are "just right". I wonder if a Mojave Artlite might be too light, but having never handled an Artlite I could be way off.
Another practical point is simply sweat which can make the very worst of staining and marking if it gets away from you.

anon` said:
If you're really stuck on which you'd prefer, I cannot strongly enough recommend giving Art a call. He's a great guy to talk shop with and has yet to lead me in the wrong direction!
Spending fifteen minutes on the phone with Art can give you more in the line of specific info than a day of online research and lighten your step from pure enjoyment ;)

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Scott Wood said:
All you folks have something about to happen that will make all of this so much easier...
All the fretting and worrying about the choices you are making for this first hat and really, no matter what you choose, when you get it Art will have made it beautiful or not made it at all!!!
Then you open that first VS box, pop on your first custom VS of your very own, forget all about the worry and bother in the business of stroking, checking the mirror and eventually the pics and a posting in the lounge. THIS is when it really starts...
You see that first post and think of what you want next. Within another week you "have a few ideas" for the next, and a short time later something happens that "justifies" that next VS. Maybe your auto insurance comes up for renewal and you realize how much cheaper a transit pass would be [huh] , you realize that the house doesn't really need that new roof you just need a couple more buckets :whistling ...
and the wheel turns yet again, only... this time you are experienced, don't have to do the conformer thing and have one to pet whenever you feel anxious :D

OH!!! :eek: :eek: :cool2: , THE FUN OF IT ALL!!! MUAHA-HA-HA-HAaa... :cool2:

ROFLMAO!!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

This could be the beginning of a great novel Scott

kaosharper1

One Too Many
anon` said:

I have 3 Artlites, in granite, blue smoke, and silverbelly. The latter 2 are light colors and I don't have the problems you alude to. They do bash differently, but they have plenty of structure. I also don't notice a significant difference in softness between the granite and the other two.

Like most felts, regular dirt just brushes off, but I'm sure that grease would probably stand out more but I haven't had that problem yet.

And Art is a great guy. Talking it over with him is highly recommended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic