Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Lloyd said:
VSforestJune12010shadow6.jpg

That is sharp:eusa_clap

keox11

Familiar Face
those hats are wonderful !!!

i just want to know if we can do "dry hand bash" with art fawcett hat ??? i mean if we can pass from "open crown" to "c crown" or other form of crown by hand like this : :rolleyes:

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j164/dinerman/?action=view&current=MVI_3191.flv

:eusa_doh:

or we need some steam to stylized the brim and the crown of the hat ???

[huh]

if we can "dry hand bash" the hat like we can, do you have any photo to show me ???

Thanks

ps : sorry for the noob question :(

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
keox11 said:
those hats are wonderful !!!

i just want to know if we can do "dry hand bash" with art fawcett hat ??? i mean if we can pass from "open crown" to "c crown" or other form of crown by hand like this : :rolleyes:

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j164/dinerman/?action=view&current=MVI_3191.flv

:eusa_doh:

or we need some steam to stylized the brim and the crown of the hat ???

[huh]

if we can "dry hand bash" the hat like we can, do you have any photo to show me ???

Thanks

ps : sorry for the noob question :(
If you shape it by hand it won't stay. You may be better off paying a shop to shape it. Yes yes you can do it yourself. But do you want to?

Feraud

Bartender
danofarlington said:
If you shape it by hand it won't stay. You may be better off paying a shop to shape it. Yes yes you can do it yourself. But do you want to?
Are you saying Art Fawcett's fedoras do not take a shape by hand?

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Jabos I will pass the message along to the wife.

I have dry hand re-bashed (or at least changed the bash) my VS hats without any issue. I will admit it took better when it got a little wet in the rain. But it still worked dry.

Johnny

danofarlington said:
Both of my ArtLite customs shape readily by hand & hold very well. I don't have a dress weight from Art but do have a Winchester felt from Buckaroo that shapes by hand & holds as well. YRMV

Jauntyone

Practically Family
keox11 said:
i just want to know if we can do "dry hand bash" with art fawcett hat ?

All my VS hats have been open-crowned and I have found them easy to bash with no steam or water--I just chop, pinch, and plop them onto my head. At the end of the day, I return them to an open crown--that way, they always have that "fichu" air that really sets a custom hat apart from a factory-creased hat.
It's like a neck-tie or a pocket-square. You can get a pre-tied or pre-folded model, but it's the little imperfections that really make something yours.
Watch any old movie, all the hats are hand-creased. But if you really like a perfect crease in your hat, I'm sure Art can accomodate you--though you'll be using up time that he should be spending on making my next hat!:D

keox11

Familiar Face
Jauntyone said:
All my VS hats have been open-crowned and I have found them easy to bash with no steam or water--I just chop, pinch, and plop them onto my head. At the end of the day, I return them to an open crown--that way, they always have that "fichu" air that really sets a custom hat apart from a factory-creased hat.
It's like a neck-tie or a pocket-square. You can get a pre-tied or pre-folded model, but it's the little imperfections that really make something yours.
Watch any old movie, all the hats are hand-creased. But if you really like a perfect crease in your hat, I'm sure Art can accomodate you--though you'll be using up time that he should be spending on making my next hat!:D

Anyway, I want to distort my hat myself! I do not like forms of factory "too perfect"! I like to give the shape that I want to the hat with my hands = "dry hand bash!?
in Paris, I went to the borsalino shop and saw a hat very thin, lightweight, very flexible, we could bend, put it in his pocket, take the form of "open crown" to "c crown" very easily by hand!
that's why I wanted to know if the hats Art Fawcett could be like this???

kaosharper1

One Too Many
keox11 said:
Anyway, I want to distort my hat myself! I do not like forms of factory "too perfect"! I like to give the shape that I want to the hat with my hands = "dry hand bash!?
in Paris, I went to the borsalino shop and saw a hat very thin, lightweight, very flexible, we could bend, put it in his pocket, take the form of "open crown" to "c crown" very easily by hand!
that's why I wanted to know if the hats Art Fawcett could be like this???

Only the lightweight which sadly are being discontinued. The dress weights are a much thicker felt so rolling them for your pocket is unwise. You can bash them dry, but I've found it works better with water. You can change them every so often, but not every day.

Musashi

One of the Regulars
These recent hats are beautiful. I am so Jealous... I'm bound to be close to the front of the line any day now. :) I have stopped looking on ebay and everything since i sent a conformer to Art. Why bother with hats that might not fit???

Bluesman61

Familiar Face
That's it, the next one will be forest green!!! Jeez, I haven't even received my first Work of Art yet and I'm already planning the next one! Great job Art! and congratulations Lloyd!

Jay

Jabos

A-List Customer
Musashi said:
These recent hats are beautiful. I am so Jealous... I'm bound to be close to the front of the line any day now. :) I have stopped looking on ebay and everything since i sent a conformer to Art. Why bother with hats that might not fit???
That's how I feel. Why drop the cash on a gamble on Ebay when you can have a custom fit, beautiful finish, made to your exact specs, that is an instant "classic".

Bluesman61

Familiar Face
Just got "the email" today!

Well, I just got "the email" from Art today telling me my long awaited work of Art is on the way!!! I can't wait to see what Art has created for me. I will def. post pics here as soon as it arrives! Now......what shall I pick for my next one? ;)

Jay

Jabos

A-List Customer
Bluesman61 said:
Well, I just got "the email" from Art today telling me my long awaited work of Art is on the way!!! I can't wait to see what Art has created for me. I will def. post pics here as soon as it arrives! Now......what shall I pick for my next one? ;)

Jay
Cool. Be ready to be home to sign or to get to the post office before it closes after the mailman comes by and leaves the slip saying your package has arrived needing your signature. There is nothing worse than knowing your work of Art is sitting in the closed post office overnight!!!! Looking forward to seeing pics.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I'm on the block!

Got the call from Art a few minutes ago! The last Art-Lite Blue Smoke, 2 5/8" overwelted brim, dark grey pointed arrow treatment, but the points will be off center, shifted down a bit. I also gave him a 1937 or there abouts Auto Union pin, that's going to be included in the hat. It's amazing how enlightened one can become from only one 5 minute talk with the Master. Thanks, Art, for putting up with my confused, jumbled mess of thoughts!

Cheers,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner