Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

malacoda

New in Town
Well, I'd say that in the end it was a good decision. I'm sure the silverbelly would've looked too but that is one sharp looking lid.

Mulceber

Practically Family
What a wonderful hat! The color is granite and it has a 2 3/8" brim. I'll post pics tomorrow. Still working on the crease; I wish I had remembered to ask Art to crease it for me. I'm not quite used to having such a tall crown. Any tips on how to lower it? It seems to want to be at a certain height.

My best advice is just accept the higher crown. I remember when I got my first VS the crown seemed high to me. Now, I love it that way. Looking at the photo you posted, I think it looks good. Vintage style takes a little getting used to, but it's great. Plus, if you try to make the hat something it's not, I doubt it will look as good, but maybe that's just me. -M

jbucklin

Practically Family
You're probably right Mulceber. It was that way when I first got my Deluxe Fed IV (see my avatar). It looked huge! I'm already getting used to the VS and my wife loves it, saying it's by far my most beautiful hat. I agree!

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
My best advice is just accept the higher crown. I remember when I got my first VS the crown seemed high to me. Now, I love it that way. Looking at the photo you posted, I think it looks good. Vintage style takes a little getting used to, but it's great. Plus, if you try to make the hat something it's not, I doubt it will look as good, but maybe that's just me. -M

I agree!!!!! I thought the same thing when I got mine but it really does look a lot better with the higher crown ... mine has lots of rake to it too which I didn't think I would like but it just "fits me" ... I think that is what sets Art apart he does a great job of making the hat fit his clients features. Well that and the fact that they are the best quality of any hat I have ever seen!

Great looking hat jbucklin!!!! I think the crease looks good ... if you would - post some other pics of the crease so we can get a good idea. I was to nervous to take on an open crown hat ... kudos to you!!! How does the felt quality compare to your Fed IV???

Kk

marshack

New in Town
Can some give the breakdown of how Art gets the different color options and styling options available.

I also have a very high crown and a very big head (61-62). How does Art ensure the hat is going to fit my odd shaped head so it looks good? Some hats look stupid on my head.

thanks for any help you can give.

univibe88

One Too Many
I'm not sure I understand your first question about the breakdown of color options.

For sizing, Art will mail you a "conformer" It's a rather medieval looking device that will measure not only the exact size, but also the exact shape, of your your noggin. Have no fear, your hat will fit perfectly.

As for making sure you get the right style, Art has an eye like none other. I recommend that once you send back the conformer that you should send Art some pictures of yourself. If you have any hats that you like, or even dislike, send them to him. His ability to suit a hat to its owner is nothing short of remarkable.

Where in Mass are you?

malacoda

New in Town
WooHoo, I'm in the queue! My first piece of Art-work is no longer a matter of 'if', merely a matter of 'when'. Can't wait for the conformer and swatch samples to head my way...

DRB

One Too Many
Jbucklin, congratulations guy! As you wear the hat it will become more natural feeling. Art makes very nice hats.

Rat Pack

One of the Regulars
What a wonderful hat! The color is granite and it has a 2 3/8" brim. I'll post pics tomorrow. Still working on the crease; I wish I had remembered to ask Art to crease it for me. I'm not quite used to having such a tall crown. Any tips on how to lower it? It seems to want to be at a certain height.
You'll get Used to the higher crown quickly.

Art recommended a higher crown on me and I love it. Just got it the other day.

Silver mist, 2.5 bound brim, 5 3/4 teardrop crown, purple ribbon. Gorgeous. I'll post some pics when we find the dang card for camera.

marshack

New in Town
daizawaguy
those are beautiful pictures in your collection of 9 hats.

Is there any way that you can post a close up of the ribbon of middle hat in the right-hand column?

I think I want to have that on my hat that I will be building with Art in the near future

Thanks

marshack

New in Town
After ruining my eyesight by reading all the posts on this thread I finally sent Art my down payment to get the process started.

I think I will be looking to create a hat with a 2" brim and a 1" (or smaller) ribbon.

Does anyone here have some pictures of creative ribbons that Art has done at that width and any examples of hats he's created with a 2" brim?

You assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Jabos

A-List Customer
Congrats Malacoda and Marshack. You won't be sorry.:eusa_clap Here is the ribbon on my last Art hat, granite with dark olive ribbon with gray.

IMG_4903.jpg

Here is the famous "dusty pink" that I shamelessly copied from Daizawaguy, a little thinner ribbon.
006.jpg

Last edited:

jbucklin

Practically Family
I got used to the height of the crown within a day or so! It hasn't left my head except when I'm sleeping since the day I got it----until today, that is----since it is raining cats and dogs (Fed IV is perfect for a rainy day). I love my VS masterpiece!!!:D

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I got used to the height of the crown within a day or so! It hasn't left my head except when I'm sleeping since the day I got it----until today, that is----since it is raining cats and dogs (Fed IV is perfect for a rainy day). I love my VS masterpiece!!!:D

I wouldn't hesitate to get that VS out in the rain. It's made of beaver.

univibe88

One Too Many
I go out of my way to wear my VS hats in the rain. They look too perfect before they get a good soaking. I don't feel like the hat is really one with my noggin until it gets a good soak.

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
I feel like my VS isn't quite 100% complete until I've taken it out in the rain. Glad to find out I'm not the only one who feels this way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass