Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

frussell

One Too Many
Well, it took several hours of driving around, staking out my old house, and finally chasing the postman down the street, but I got my VS safe and sound. I asked Art to make me a Seabiscuit-style hat, and I specified a wider brim and a tall crown as I am not a small person. It's standard weight Silverbelly with matching ribbon. Doesn't have its final crease yet, but I sure like this hat. 5 3/4" crown, 2 7/8" brim. It's got a little of all my favorite hats, some OR, Marathon, Campdraft, all rolled into a fine 100% beaver package in a very hard to find size 7 7/8. I'm real happy with it. I wish my photos could do it justice. Frank
http://
p4110082.jpg

p4110083.jpg

frussell

One Too Many
I believe I scared him a little. I actually sort of forced him off the road, which could be construed as life or death in that part of town. I had to catch him before he got back to our completely incompetent post office, or I'd never have seen that hat again. He seemed relieved I just wanted my hat. Frank

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Nice, I like the combination of all those models together..... with that large of crown and brim I would really like to see a noggin shot when you get a chance.....

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
When I order, a few months ago, my silverbelly hat from Art I had asked him to put a silver gray ribbon. He discovered, towards the end of the process that, unfortunately, the one I liked and saw on his site was no longer available. He sewed the closest match he could find. Although I liked it, and I'm sure you guys remember as I posted pics at that time, I wasn't in love with it. Art's ribbon had some violet undertones that I just didn't enjoy. After weeks and weeks of digging in NYC I found this gorgeous french 70s ribbon in the perfect shade. I hope you don't mind, Art, but I replaced it! Here:

Before:

40.jpg

After:

40-1.jpg

RBH

Bartender
Well, it took several hours of driving around, staking out my old house, and finally chasing the postman down the street, but I got my VS safe and sound. I asked Art to make me a Seabiscuit-style hat, and I specified a wider brim and a tall crown as I am not a small person. It's standard weight Silverbelly with matching ribbon. Doesn't have its final crease yet, but I sure like this hat. 5 3/4" crown, 2 7/8" brim. It's got a little of all my favorite hats, some OR, Marathon, Campdraft, all rolled into a fine 100% beaver package in a very hard to find size 7 7/8. I'm real happy with it. I wish my photos could do it justice. Frank
p4110082.jpg

p4110083.jpg

Now that is nice!!!
Congrats on a great hat Frank and a big pat on the back to Art for a great job!!!
I like the crease by the way.

Cliffnopus

One of the Regulars
To be honest, I actually like the "before" picture better. I think that purple hue actually goes quite well with silverbelly. Oh well, maybe it's just me. -M

:arated: Although the "after" pic/color looks fine too. For me, I like the contrast of the "before".

Cliff

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Mario. I like Art's ribbon and I do appreciate contrast in my hats as well. Thing is that out in the sun it looked totally lavender/purple-ish. And I'm not a big fan of that undertone. I was subconscious about it while wearing the hat. New Ribbon does have a petersham edge, well spotted! I don't mind it when it's done with subtlety and elegance. Darn expensive French cotton blend that "bent" perfectly at the ironing board. (swirled might be the right term here).
Close up pic for you. I did invisible stitches!

2.jpg

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana