Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
This is a great hat, how easy or not is it to keep a hat this light of color clean? I could use a lightweight one like this here where its going to be 78* today.
My VS is almost white (mojave) and I have a white Panizza. I've never had any issue nor treat them any differently than my dark hats.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
g: Re. Light color felt staying clean; Check out (post #5128) showcasing my sahara felt VS. It has hit the ground, gone swimming in the lake (#5204) and recovered nary a mark (#5210). The beaver felt is incredible in its ability to shed water and dirt. Knocked off and gets a spot of dirt, then a quick brush and it is back to ready for wearing.

My hats get worn. The VS felts have really done the trick for my wearing needs.

Eric -

+1

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
g: Re. Light color felt staying clean; Check out (post #5128) showcasing my sahara felt VS. It has hit the ground, gone swimming in the lake (#5204) and recovered nary a mark (#5210). The beaver felt is incredible in its ability to shed water and dirt. Knocked off and gets a spot of dirt, then a quick brush and it is back to ready for wearing.

My hats get worn. The VS felts have really done the trick for my wearing needs.

Eric -

+2

My light-colored VS's get the same beating as the darker hats. A little brushing now and then - they all stay fresh like a daisy.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
What model hat is this? I like it!

As far as I know, Musashi's Black Cherry is not a specific model from Art's Limited Editions. I assume it was rather made according to the provided specs. That would probably have been a 5.5" open crown, and a crown shape with very little or no taper (= straight sides). The ribbon is almost certainly 19 ligne (I have the very same ribbon on my Black Cherry).

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
As far as I know, Musashi's Black Cherry is not a specific model from Art's Limited Editions. I assume it was rather made according to the provided specs. That would probably have been a 5.5" open crown, and a crown shape with very little or no taper (= straight sides). The ribbon is almost certainly 19 ligne (I have the very same ribbon on my Black Cherry).

+1
Pretty much any crease can be styled in an open crown hat.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Pretty much any crease can be styled in an open crown hat.

To illustrate, here are two flash pics of my Black Cherry that I took just now. Excuse the poor picture quality.

Diamond crease:

P1050306post-1.jpg

Center dent:

P1050316post-1.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Those are beautiful, Rabbit. I know we're talking about creases, but do you happen to have any photos of the same hat without flash, or in natural light?

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Bowlerman, pics in daylight without flash coming up. These are pics from late November, I've posted them before (it's nighttime over here, so I can't take new ones right now).

BC is quite hard to capture. On my monitor, these pics are ok but they could be better.
As usual, the liner shot has the best color rendition.
The suit is a green harris tweed with slight blue specks in it. It doesn't look very true to color on the pics, which says something about the general picture quality.
Musashi's pics quoted on last page are quite accurate, way better than mine even though they are studio shots. DJH's pics of his BC also have a very good color rendition.

P1040856-Kopiepost.jpg

P1040870post.jpg

Two hours after sunrise, Nov 26th.

P1040768-Kopiepost.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
This collection pic (an old one, too) was also taken in daylight. It looks quite color-accurate on my monitor. Perhaps it's helpful to see the Black Cherry next to other felt colors. Blow it up separately for more detail.
The dark ones are front to back: Oxblood, BC, and a dark brown Mallory.

P1040933post.jpg

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
This collection pic (an old one, too) was also taken in daylight. It looks quite color-accurate on my monitor. Perhaps it's helpful to see the Black Cherry next to other felt colors. Blow it up separately for more detail.
The dark ones are front to back: Oxblood, BC, and a dark brown Mallory.

P1040933post.jpg

207 posts and thats your collection!!? Cant wait until the summer! -)

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
207 posts and thats your collection!!? Cant wait until the summer! -)

The VS's, yes. The better vintage felts, there are a handful in the pic. Now there's twenty of them. They've proliferated like, well, rabbits. :D
I have to post a new collection shot one of these days.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Here is a pic of my black Cherry taken inside with flash...

6qut7b.jpg

And outside with natural lighting.

The outside pic is as close as I can get to the actual Black Cherry color of my VS

14lsy2w.jpg

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
I took delivery of a new Panama Straw and Natural Beaver hats. Ill try to get some posts up this week :)

The collection is up to five hats now.....I have to think of whats next to get back in line :)

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Someone say Black Cherry?

I just love mine, possibly my favorite felt colour ever!

d332784-L.jpg

David; That is a SWEET warmer weather hat. Silvermist is a great color for everyday wear. I enjoy the "trimmings." My hat is tipped in your general direction sir. IMO, the hat takes some general directions from the venerable Whippet form. Similar in general dimensions. The assertive cupping of the back of the brim and generous swoop look very inviting and very stylish. I can easily see this hat getting lots of noggin time. Shooting wedding pics outside during the spring and early summer should allow the perfect opportunity to showcase this beauty.

I like the hat immensely.

Stylish hat. Best, Eric -

Thanks, Eric. Yep, I think I'll we wearing this hat a lot. As you say, it has the Whippet style, other than the ribbon is wider.

My next hat from Art will also be the lightweight felt and again Whippet style, this time with the welted edge though.

This is a great hat, how easy or not is it to keep a hat this light of color clean? I could use a lightweight one like this here where its going to be 78* today.

Thank you GGM.

I have other light coloured hat and (as others mentioned already) the good quality felt does seem to be shed dirt quite easily. Actually, the hat I find needs the most attention is my black VS. It is great for catching any dust or lint that might be around.

Last edited:

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Someone say Black Cherry?

I just love mine, possibly my favorite felt colour ever!

d332784-L.jpg

I have other light coloured hat and (as others mentioned already) the good quality felt does seem to be shed dirt quite easily. Actually, the hat I find needs the most attention is my black VS. It is great for catching any dust or lint that might be around.

BTW Your light Silver mist is KEWL. You put together one heck of a nice hat.....

As far as the Black hats, I agree they need the most attention.....

My Black VS will pick up everything except Blondes and Money......:D

kaosharper1

One Too Many
As far as the light colors (which I find more appropriate in SoCal), I have a blue smoke, a silverbelly, and a mojave. No problem keeping them clean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass