Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

smoothsailor

One of the Regulars
smoothsailor1

Here's my sahara hat, bad picture first try if it works.
I believe it's a 5.5 inch crown, and a 2, 3/16 brim with, and a 12 l dark blue ribbon with a red contrasting v.s stripe.
I have to say , I need to get used to the tall crown, but I like it.
8 More days to considder getting an other order out, debate between dove an blue steel.
Paul

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thanks for taking the time to picture this Smoothsailor, and thanks for the kind words LMH2. I see the crease suffered a bit going over the pond. Easily smoothed out though.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Lovely! Very sharp-looking dimensions.
Link, how would you describe the ribbon color? The harsh late winter sun makes it look a little lighter than it is, doesn't it? Could be a reddish brown similar to oxblood...or is it more reddish?

Link

One of the Regulars
Thank you DJH and Rabbit. All the credit has to go to Art though. I chose the felt color and left the rest up to him with just a couple of general guidelines as to what I wanted.

As to the ribbon color, I would say the photo is showing it a bit more brown than it really is. I have some difficulty describing colors, but I would say it is a dark reddish brown similar to oxblood or burgundy perhaps. I'm sure Art could tell you the exact color.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Bravo Link! (and Art!). VS hats are the classiest lids, and yours is a prime example. Bartender, I'll have what he's having!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the information, Link.
I'm sure the Dove felt works very well with a subtle ribbon color such as this one!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Hmmmm, Dove! I am a dove convert. Big time! The felt color just is terrific. Very manly hat Link. The subtle ribbon color and felt should coordinate with tons of ocasions/attire.

My take on the photos show it to a winter felt weight. I am curious as to the brim edge treatment. My VS's all have a binding edge. I ike the way it allows the brim to snap down/up and the color contrast to the eye. I am considering a different edge treatment. Any sage (or in your new hat's case "dove,") advise to pass along? Are the hat dimensions similar to the VS in your avatar pic? If so, I like it. The crown height works well with your features.

Liking the hat sir! Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

From what I see in the pic, very nice hat sir!

Art's post suggests some shippng alterations. I am seeing that the side dents may not be totally smooth. I too have a sahara and crease my fedora by hand. I kind of like the off-hand crease I get with less deliberate efforts to be perfect.

Wear it in good health, Eric -

Last edited:

Link

One of the Regulars
The brim on this hat has a raw or cut edge, no binding or welting. I imagine the crown height is about 5.5", but I haven't measured it. The felt is the standard dress weight, I don't believe Art has the dove color in lightweight felt.

Again, my color perception sometimes seems to be a little off, but to my eye, this dove color seems to somehow be a warm color and a cool color at the same time. It appears to be very versatile, and is perhaps my new favorite felt color. I think dove would be a great color choice for a first hat.

Link

One of the Regulars
Thanks. I think head shots will wait until I get a haircut. I'm looking rather shaggy at the moment.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Again, my color perception sometimes seems to be a little off, but to my eye, this dove color seems to somehow be a warm color and a cool color at the same time.

Exactly.
The Dove felt is basically a light grey on the cool side of the color spectrum (bluish). At the same time, it has an ever so slight violet undertone. Violet, being a combination of blue and red, adds a warm (red part) element to the felt.
Being a light color, it might be more accurate to call the undertone a lavender (pale violet) one.

Regardless, it's an extremely versatile color, as Link said.
+1 to the recommendation of this felt as a #1 choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters