Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
WOW...a guy takes a couple of days off & this thread explodes!!!
Thank you for posting your hat David and Thank you for all the kind comments Gents. Yes, it is the same ribbon as Aureliano's hat and your hat D'guy. I really love that ribbon but it's applications have to be done sparingly as it's the only spool I have and it really takes a special hat to look right.

I have some great news!!!

I received a load of vintage ribbon from Europe and some of the colors are downright spectacular. I have been searching for years for true copper ( to put on dk brown hats) and here it is. I was so excited when it came in ..well.. nevermind.))

jbucklin

Practically Family
Art, you will be hearing from me---probably later than sooner---about that copper ribbon on a dk brown hat. That would be a nice companion for my new chocolate hat you just made for me!:)

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I have some great news!!!

I received a load of vintage ribbon from Europe and some of the colors are downright spectacular. I have been searching for years for true copper ( to put on dk brown hats) and here it is. I was so excited when it came in ..well.. nevermind.))

Hmm, ya think any of of these cool new ribbons would be good on a Dark Moss hat, Art? Maybe the copper one?

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, Rabbit, OG, and David, for making me drool on my desk! ;) Seriously thanks for taking the time to post those extra shots. I just adore that black cherry color.

jbucklin

Practically Family
A still shot of my Whiskey VS. I call it the "Whiskey Still".
whiskeystill.jpg

Jauntyone

Practically Family
A very special hat just arrived for me. It's an Ivory thin-ribbon in light-weight felt. The color is a beautiful off-white. I'm sure this one will get me noticed!

IMG_9491-1.jpg

IMG_9490-1.jpg

IMG_9492.jpg

Creased:
IMG_9493.jpg

Thanks so much for this wonderful hat, Art!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
A very special hat just arrived for me. It's an Ivory thin-ribbon in light-weight felt. The color is a beautiful off-white. I'm sure this one will get me noticed!

IMG_9490-1.jpg

Thanks so much for this wonderful hat, Art!

That is a very striking color. WOW! That is a hat! Congrats to you and Art. I understand that the ivory color is very difficult to work with. I hope no other hat bodies were hurt in the making of your gorgeous lid.

The ribbon work I really like. The lines and bow create eye interest. Perhaps that is as I have seen a lot of curved ribbon, or spent a lot of time with the vintage Stetson Strat ribbons on my head. In any case, it provides eye interest to me. IMO, the lines and proportions of the hat really make it a versatile wearing hat. You wear it well with a suit.

Can you expound a bit about the feel of the felt? You have quite a bit of experience with Art's hats and I would appreciate the comments from your expert hands eyes. If you would, can you share the situations and attire you would wear this stunning hat? Will you wear it without a suit? (I believe I have read/viewed this thread and only seen a couple pics of you without a tie.)

I am asking a bit much, but consider if you have some time, would you provide a group shot of your VS hats? I have admired your choices and colors the past year. If not, I understand. They are grand hats. Your sage hat still haunts me when I pull out Art's color swatches.

Eye catching for sure. In my neighborhood (Minnesota, USA) folks generally are conservative, reserved, have a disinclination to make a fuss or stand out, absolutely show emotional restraint, this hat would be an eye catcher. This hat I like.

Thanks in advance sir!

Admiring the color, Eric -

Last edited:

Jauntyone

Practically Family
Thanks for the nice comments, DJH, Hatophile, and jbucklin!
Eric, thanks to you, too. I don't really consider myself an expert, but I do have a few of Art's hats. This felt has that "quality" feel that his hats always have. It's a light-weight, so it has that vintage "crinckly" feel to a great extent; it's very easy to crease. The ribbon work and construction are absolutely top-notch as always.
The color is great; under electric lights it looks white and in the sun it has a cream cast to it.
I think I can pretty much wear it with any suit or sport-coat. I would even wear it with a camp-collared shirt or a hawai'ian shirt, if you get those over here. Next time I go back to the States, I'll have to buy some. The thin-ribbon is realy versatile and in my opinion can be dressed up or down and worn with anything.
I'll try to get a "family shot" together in the near future.

It's a light-weight, so it has that vintage "crinckly" feel to a I would even wear it with a camp-collared shirt or a hawai'ian shirt, if you get those over here. Next time I go back to the States, I'll have to buy some. The thin-ribbon is realy versatile and in my opinion can be dressed up or down and worn with anything.
QUOTE]

Yes, some nice Aloha shirts would look fabulous with that hat. You can get them on Ebay you know!

smoothsailor

One of the Regulars
Hello, not my first post but still new around here. I can't remember how I stumbled upon the lounge but after reading 500 plus pages of the Art Fawcett hall of fame I nwe I wanted one.
I got inspired by manny but mostly by Rabbit, HandlebarBart, Dazaiwaguy. I asked Art for a sahara 5.5 tall crown and a 2. 1/8 wide brim. It came today and it,s super nice.
Paul I tied to upload the foto could't figure out how to do it, file is to big

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Paul I tied to upload the foto could't figure out how to do it, file is to big

Welcome to the Lounge, smoothsailor!

Before uploading the pics to an image hosting site, you will need to reduce the original picture's file size by using an image viewing/ converting/ editing program or whatever these things are called.
There are many freeware options. I use Fast Stone Image Viewer, for no particular reason. I just happened to come across it, and it works just great.
A picture length of, say, 1100 Pixel would be on the large side of what is practical; a length of 700 Pixel would have a more reduced pic resolution, but would also load very fast. Or in terms of file size, 300+ KB would be on the large end; 150 KB would be a smaller file.

Jauntyone, congrats on your latest VS! Ivory sure is a stunning color!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy