Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
untitled-614.jpg

untitled-613.jpg

untitled-612.jpg

BTW, to those who were wondering - I think the camera/processing used HDR mode - high definition resolution - a great effect on metallic objects, but felt gets that dirty worn look...

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Nice Milan, Pete!
D'Guy, good info about the processing, thanks!

VS Mojave w/ 19 L navy again - today with tan, white and royal blue.
VS-Mojave-w-19navy_2012-05-23.jpg

aught12

One of the Regulars
BTW, to those who were wondering - I think the camera/processing used HDR mode - high definition resolution - a great effect on metallic objects, but felt gets that dirty worn look...

Hi D-Guy

No, you thought wrong. I don't do HDR, nor do I use artificial light. And you're statement would be considered by some as an insult to both Mr Fawcett, and myself; despite your tenure on this forum.

Conditions: Natural light from windows on three sides. Nikon D700. Carl Zeiss 50mm f/2.0 Makro-Planar lens. Raw file, exposure adjusted, converted to jpg in Lightroom, sharpening in Photoshop. Check the exif, if you know how. Photography is my first hobby.

I think "the dirty look" you refer to is the light playing with the direction the Charcoal suede finish is laying down. Of course there is a little bit of actual "dirt" on the hat. Just like most any hat. Whatever...I love it.

Last edited:

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Apologies, but when I read burgundy ribbon and saw the color, I suspected processing of exposure. But don`t take it badly, it`s not a critique Sir, it`s a fine hat.

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Nikon D700. Carl Zeiss 50mm f/2.0 Makro-Planar lens

I like the look of your images from this lens. I almost bought one myself a couple of years ago, but instead got the Nikon 50mm f1.2 AI-S.

Trying to manual focus at f1.2 is quite an adventure, but worthwhile when I hit it just right. Actually, the images from the lens are a little soft wide open, but super sharp by f2.0.

Do you have any of the other Zeiss lenses?

aught12

One of the Regulars
I like the look of your images from this lens. I almost bought one myself a couple of years ago, but instead got the Nikon 50mm f1.2 AI-S.

Trying to manual focus at f1.2 is quite an adventure, but worthwhile when I hit it just right. Actually, the images from the lens are a little soft wide open, but super sharp by f2.0.

Do you have any of the other Zeiss lenses?

Hello David

I love narrow DoF, so I have considered the 1.2 Ai-S. Yes, in addition to the Zeiss 50mm, I own the 100mm MP, and the 35mm Distagon. They're all gems, and all are plenty good to go beginning at f/2. Those three, in addition to a Nikkor 300/4 AF-S are my full frame kit. For portability, I shoot a Fuji X100. For fun, I shoot a restored Pentax K2, and Pentax LX.

PM me if you'd like talk more optics.

Cheers
Jeff

nolaquen

New in Town
Nice Milan, Pete!
D'Guy, good info about the processing, thanks!

VS Mojave w/ 19 L navy again - today with tan, white and royal blue.

Rabbit - great look for summer. Maybe the wrong forum for such a question, but can you tell me about your shoes? They look like they have a lot of character; I'm a fan.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
nolaquen, I'll answer that by posting a pic of the hat & shoes. :)
They're made by the Italian ready-to-wear and MTM maker SHOTO, which has a very distinctive style; the shoes are very well made. Mostly casual, rugged styles, but also dress shoes although typically with a casual note.
They were made the way you see them in the pic. The "break" is their signature style.

VS-Mojave_SHOTO.jpg

Last edited:

cookie

I'll Lock Up
nolaquen, I'll answer that by posting a pic of the hat & shoes. :)
They're made by the Italian ready-to-wear and MTM maker SHOTO, which has a very distinctive style; the shoes are very well made. Mostly casual, rugged styles, but also dress shoes although typically with a casual note.
They were made the way you see them in the pic. The "break" is their signature style.

VS-Mojave_SHOTO.jpg

Shoe trees? Looks like they are not being used with all that toe spring.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Shoe trees? Looks like they are not being used with all that toe spring.

Shoe trees are being used all the time except when I took the pic. ;)
Like I said, the shoes were made the way you see them here; that's just the design of the shoe. Ok, back to the main topic. :)

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Busy week and I am tuning in and appreciating the special VS hats folks have shared. Truly very special.

PT; The milan looks classy. I bet it will see a lot of wear time thru the warmer months. Congrats on the new hat.

Rabbit; ; Looking dapper sir. What strikes me is that you appear to wear your clothes with ease. Cheers to you sir. The felt color looks good with the outfit. I would not have thought of that combo, but after seeing the pic it makes perfect sense. Thanks for sharing. BTW: The shoes work for you.

Aught;
What words should I use to describe the pretty charcoal fedora now in River city? ..........Swell hat! A new Fawcett Hat in Town. So darn special sir.

BUT, getting a new VS hat is TROUBLE. You can not stop, you just keep stepping into line. Why it is TROUBLE I say!

"Never mind gittin' Dandelions pulled, or the screen door patched, or the beefsteak pounded.
Never mind pumpin' any water, 'til your parents are caught with the Cistern empty, on a Saturday night and that's trouble,
Oh, yes we got lots and lots a' trouble.
I'm thinkin' of the kids in the knickerbockers, Shirt-tail young ones, peekin' in the Pool Hall window after school, look, folks!
Right here in River City. Trouble with a capital "T." "

Trouble - I have used the above lyrics, pirated and stolen, from the Music Man to alliterate my example that a new Fawcett Hat causes one to step back in line for another. What is next sir?

Trouble, Trouble, Trouble.....ah the pleasurable trouble! Thanks for sharing the hats folks. I am off humming music from the Music Man this morning, Eric -

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Rabbit; ; Looking dapper sir. What strikes me is that you appear to wear your clothes with ease. Cheers to you sir. The felt color looks good with the outfit. I would not have thought of that combo, but after seeing the pic it makes perfect sense. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you, Eric. I do feel right at home in my clothes. :)
What's more, suits aren't any good unless they're worn in.

Tan suits are incredibly good at handling strong summer colors in both ties and socks.

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Frank, Jeff, Tommy - great new VS hats, guys. I really like all 3 of these.

I have a new candidate for HoF admission - a nice new ArtLite in Sahara (yes, popular colour for this month!). This one is my favorite dimensions, 5 3/4 crown and 2 1/2 brim with underwelt. The ribbon is Art's vintage copper coloured ribbon (I love this!).

D336712-L.jpg

Thank you for another outstanding hat, Art!

David; I am impressed. Very sweet hat. The color combination (felt and ribbon) amalgamated with the prized light weight felt makes this hat easy to select from your prodigious hat closet. I think that this hat's grandeur stands tall in the distinguished assemblage of your hats.

I am a hat wearing devotee and this hat catches my eye with it's special features.

Wear it in health and best wishes, Eric -

DavidJ

One of the Regulars
So, I graduated from high school last night! Very exciting, very sad. Now comes the good part: graduation presents. My dad has agreed to get me a VS, so Art will be hearing from me some time soon. A beautiful hat made my a master, what else could a guy ask for? I'm looking forward to receiving and showing everyone here on The Lounge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24