Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

MikeU

Familiar Face
Black cherry & granite hat

3BBAD6AA-850B-4A78-A761-C855F91C69CD_zpsyv8zy4z5.jpg
Black cherry & granite variegated ribbon.. Art did an amazing job!
82918280-D015-4F39-A777-C348C6707638_zpstqzjkvt1.jpg

597EB544-10D1-4FED-9ADE-70A498BB3200_zpscz014bld.jpg

MikeU

Familiar Face
i tried to show some outside pictures in day light the last was was in over cast lighting the granite does change with the lighting, it took some time to post these pics !! Art i finally post these pics!

seabass

Call Me a Cab
MikeU
Good hats you sport em well
Cool color choices & outside pics show em well.

Gdurand
Your Art-Strat came out nice good choice there.

Nice work Art.

Landman

One Too Many
Does anybody have a silverbelly and an ivory hat from Art? If so, could you post a picture of them together? I'm trying to see the difference in the two colors. I have several of his silverbellys and was thinking of getting an ivory for my next hat. Thanks!

emigran

Practically Family
JRBOOBYH
I loved Jimmy Stewart's clothes and particularly his hat... all those shots of him driving in the car with that coppery ribbon on that wonderfully swooped fedora... and not to mention Kim Novak...
Did someone say Kim Novak...!?!?

Looking forward to your pix...

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Does anybody have a silverbelly and an ivory hat from Art? If so, could you post a picture of them together? I'm trying to see the difference in the two colors. I have several of his silverbellys and was thinking of getting an ivory for my next hat. Thanks!

Landman, the only Loungers I know of that have an ivory VS are RLK and Jauntyone. I don't know whether either of them has a Winchester silverbelly.

I don't have an ivory VS, but I can assure you that the difference between silverbelly and ivory is a considerable one. The ivory is warm and almost blindingly light while the silverbelly, apart from being a few shades darker, has a greyish cast, although still on the warm side of the spectrum.

Judging from the samples I'm sure that under natural light, the two felt colors would look quite different from each other. The silverbelly as you know is quite light-colored to begin with, but it doesn't look out of place on a dull winter day. The ivory must be quite a sight under the same lighting conditions; I think it's meant for the warmer seasons mostly.

I have VS silverbelly hats in dressweight (1) and featherweight (one from the old batch, one from the new run by Winchester); there are slight differences between them, most notably a difference between the dressweight and the two featherweights - the dressweight is a shade lighter, and slightly more greyish than the featherweights which are ever so slightly warmer.

Landman

One Too Many
Nik,

Thanks for your response. The pictures of ivory on the VS website look like it has a slight tan or brownish hue to it where the silverbelly has a grey tint to it. Is that just my monitor or do you see that too? Thanks.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Nik,

Thanks for your response. The pictures of ivory on the VS website look like it has a slight tan or brownish hue to it where the silverbelly has a grey tint to it. Is that just my monitor or do you see that too? Thanks.

Yes, I see that too. On seeing the samples and the few images of ivory felt available on the Hall of Fame and on Art's site, I'm sure the ivory does have a warm/ tan/ brownish hue to it, whatever you may choose to call it, while the silverbelly although still warm looks greyish by comparison.
So, ivory = very very light and warm-colored, basically an extremely light version of the mojave; and silverbelly = greyish tint and noticably darker than both ivory and mojave.

You do have a felt sample of the ivory, don't you? Better rely on the samples than on photos. After all, the silverbelly tends to photograph a tad too light wth the usual simple equipment. Very dark and very light colors are always hard to capture.

Here are the most useful images of ivory felts that have been posted on the Hall of Fame so far. I've saved most every image from this thread, sorted by color.
RLK's Ivory first, then Jauntyone's. I think Jauntyone's noggin shot shows both the warm shade and the blindingly light color. The color of the thin ribbon against the felt is another point of reference.
Edit: If I remember correctly, RLK's ivory is trimmed with a very dark green ribbon - plus the obviously green back bow additions.

ivory_5009223252_753daba0cd_z.jpg ivory_5009521954_5fe35f26d6_b.jpg ivory_5009538440_6c157f743a_b.jpg ivory_IMG_9490-1.jpg ivory_IMG_9491-1.jpg ivory_IMG_9492.jpg ivory_IMG_9493.jpg ivory_IMG_9501.jpg

Last edited:

Landman

One Too Many
Nik,

Robert's and JauntyOne's pictures do look very light colored. Beautiful hats though.

The next to last picture of the ivory Open Road style hat is the picture that caught my attention. In that photo it looks like the older tan Open Road color I was wanting.

I do have felt samples but I have found the finished product always looks a little different after pouncing. I guess I'll wait until after Thanksgiving and talk to Art.

Thanks for your help. Your photo collections and descriptions of the felt colors is always appreciated!

PS: I forgot to ask, is the hat Jauntyone is wearing the same hat as the previous photo?

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
PS: I forgot to ask, is the hat Jauntyone is wearing the same hat as the previous photo?

You're welcome, Mike.
Yes, I'm quite sure it's the same hat. Jauntyone posted these images together as his Ivory VS.
The ivory color, while certainly beautiful and a great option for an OR clone, couldn't be like any of the tan OR colors, of which there were so many, as we all know. I'm positive it's much lighter than any of Stetson's tan or imitation-silverbelly or the 7XCB OR colors.

Landman

One Too Many
Nik,

Thanks. His noggin shot compared to the one of the hat alone really shows the difference. Even though it is not the almond tan I was looking for I think it makes a great Open Road clone.

jbucklin

Practically Family
My new (and absolute favorite) work of Art. I asked him to whip me up a Whippet with a 2 3/8" brim. I think he said it's a new color whose name I can't remember. It's freaking awesome!
Photoon11-27-13at215PM_zpsa7dd5a2c.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Very nice, JB. The new felt color is called limestone. I just stumbled across an AA/ Esquire text excerpt that mentions a "covert hat"; it immediately reminded me of the new felt color.

Here is the text from fall of 1934. It starts with a discussion of the covert cloth and moves on to the description of a "new" versatile felt color that imitates the color of the covert cloth. Art's Limestone which he described as a "dark taupe, or like natural mixed with charcoal" seems to match a comparison with covert cloth; perhaps it's a bit darker than covert cloth.

"Covert is the shade—or perhaps the plural should be used, since there are several shades—which takes in
the range from a light greenish-tan to a rather deep tannish-green. What is behind the name covert and
to what use will this shade be put during the coming seasons?
Covert cloth receives its name from a very early association with the sporting hunting. This material was
primarily used for garments worn by hunters and riders who met at an appointed rendezvous in or near
a covert which was to serve them as a starting point for the day’s hunting. The application of the name to
the cloth is, of course, an obvious one.
It is only natural that the cloth produced for this specific purpose was one which would withstand all
kinds of weather, as well as the effects of the thicket and briar bush—hazards to be encountered in any
good hunting country. Even as the “covert” itself afforded protection to the game, so did the cloth which
borrowed the name provided protection to the hunter. The color of the cloth itself is the logical result of
deliberate planning in the selection of a shade which would not appear too slovenly after the dust and
mud had done their worst.
The covert cloth topcoat has each spring and fall shown increasing popularity among those who
practically appreciate the essentially smart appearance of this cloth. It suggests a traditional smartness
for both town and country wear and, beyond that, its subtle coloring seems to harmonize well with every
possible combination of apparel. And now, with the covert coat established as one of the essentials in the
wardrobe of the well-dressed man, it is only natural to find those who appreciate this shade in a topcoat
favoring a new hat whose chief feature is the fact that it retains the true covert coloring."

Here is the part that mentions the new "covert hat":

"Perhaps taking its cue from the covert topcoat, one of the outstanding points about the covert hat is the
manner in which its greenish-tan color is equally at home with every shade of topcoat, suit and, in fact,
almost any combination of furnishings.
The addition of a black band, incidentally, not only adds to the smart appearance of the hat but also its
faculty for harmonizing with other articles of apparel, since black in any combination of colors serves the
purpose of cutting down the effect of stronger hues so that they do not become too dominant.
The hat is in a shape which tapers slightly and yet avoids the extreme; its brim snaps readily and is a bit
wider than usual. Taking excellent advantage of the covert color which is its main point of distinction,
this particular hat seems unquestionably destined to be one of the smartest—if not the smartest—hats of
the early fall season."

Last edited:

MikeU

Familiar Face
The new color is awsome , Jb your hat looks great really like this new shade, when Art posted the hat the lighting made it look lighter an now in your picture it changes to a warmer color taupe" how about a picture in some day light, thx!

jbucklin

Practically Family
The new color is awsome , Jb your hat looks great really like this new shade, when Art posted the hat the lighting made it look lighter an now in your picture it changes to a warmer color taupe" how about a picture in some day light, thx!��

Will do MikeU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24