Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

HungaryTom

One Too Many
StylinLA said:
I just decided to name it The Fairfax.

Special thanks to Hungary Tom- his black VS got me focused and I opted to let Art run free. I love the results.

StylinLA,

Most welcome and thanks for posting this superb hats.
The Black Arts are great:eusa_doh: ...well I rather re-phrase: Art's black hats are great:eusa_clap .

Tom

StylinLA

Familiar Face
Delthayre- both you and HungaryTom inspired me to roll with black. Plus I loved the hat Hanks wore in ROAD TO PERDITION, and what I see of Depp in PUBLIC ENEMY.

The Fairfax is toned down slightly from those- but it's still got some edge to it.

That ribbon does make a difference. The quality shows.

If I do go visit Art, I'll be taking VINTAGE bourbon. Not Vintage like, not Vintage Style, not "New Vintage," but honest to goodness Vintage bourbon.

I hope he'll understand.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I love that hat, Stylin. Great twist on one of Art's most classic designs.

It's actually rather funny, because the ribbon looks olive green on my monitor, and I've been wondering what a black hat would look like with an olive ribbon for the last few weeks. Now I know! lol

StylinLA

Familiar Face
Not-Bogart13 said:
I love that hat, Stylin. Great twist on one of Art's most classic designs.

It's actually rather funny, because the ribbon looks olive green on my monitor, and I've been wondering what a black hat would look like with an olive ribbon for the last few weeks. Now I know! lol

The variables of digital cameras and computer monitors will never do it justice online. To the naked eye, it does have a sort metallic "olive" cast to it- depending on light source. When I first opened the box, the room was lit by those new "green" cfl bulbs and it did look very olive on first viewing.

Moving it around, looking at it in other light and then sunlight, it's very much more graphite gray. But it's some of that fantastic Art vintage ribbon that is heads and shoulders above the new stuff- very subtle changes with different angles and light source.

By the way, when I thought it was olive it didn't look bad either.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Granite

Can someone with a VS granite help me out? I want a medium grey hat. My Camptown Metro was "granite" and its about the right shade of grey. I want something where I can have a dark contrasting ribbon. Maybe something like the Akubra moonstone. In the photos here it looks like everything from dark grey to light grey.

When Art calls me about the final specs for my new hat I want to have a good idea of the color if nothing else.

Thanks.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
kaosharper1 said:
Can someone with a VS granite help me out? I want a medium grey hat. My Camptown Metro was "granite" and its about the right shade of grey. I want something where I can have a dark contrasting ribbon. Maybe something like the Akubra moonstone. In the photos here it looks like everything from dark grey to light grey.

When Art calls me about the final specs for my new hat I want to have a good idea of the color if nothing else.

Thanks.

The granite is darker and browner than the Akubra moonstone is. Before I got my granite Sportaire, most people told me the hat was gray, but I can see earthtones in the color too along with the gray. It's a darker color than moonstone, and the moonstone is bluer. I have worn my Sportaire with blues, blacks, grays and greens and it looks good with all of them IMHO. I have also put it next to khaki pants and a blue shirt and would have no trouble wearing that combo either.

univibe88

One Too Many
I have a granite hat also. It is extremely versatile. I agree with everything Bob said. I would call it a medium gray. It's definitely a warm/earthy grey. It does not have any blue/cool hue to it.

That is what allows it to go well with khaki pants or a khaki rain coat. However, I have never looked at it and thought that it looks a brown or any shade of brown/khaki. It goes just as well with my charcoal, grey and navy suits. And there is certainly no brown in those!

I would also say that it is a light enough grey to get a darker/contrasting ribbon.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Thanks.

Thanks everyone. I have a good idea now and I will probably go with granite. It sounds like my Camptown Metro which is also a medium grey with earth tones. The sample seemed a little darker than the Camptown, but then again, the silverbelly sample also seems a little darker than the hat Art made for me.

I was thinking of Blue Smoke as well, but it sounds like Granite will be more versatile.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Conformer

I've heard that Art sends these to measure people's head before making the hat. I'm interested to know what these things look like and how they work. Could anyone post a picture of one?

The extra shipping cost of these things is what puts me off getting a custom hat since it cost a fortune to ship between the US and the UK.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
The conformer insures that you get a perfect fitting hat. After that if well , when you order more from him you don't have to worry about it. You put it on your head and tighten the little wingnuts and send it back!:)

nickn5

One of the Regulars
Here ya go avedwards:

DSC00377.jpg

Don't worry too much about the cost of shipping US to UK, it's when you have to send the conformer back it gets expensive... but I'm certain it will be well worthwhile, and of course the use of the conformer is a one-off cost, once Art has the shape you can order hats ad infinitum...

N. :)

kaosharper1

One Too Many
avedwards said:
I've heard that Art sends these to measure people's head before making the hat. I'm interested to know what these things look like and how they work. Could anyone post a picture of one?

The extra shipping cost of these things is what puts me off getting a custom hat since it cost a fortune to ship between the US and the UK.

He might do one without it, but it won't be his usual perfect fit. Its especially useful if you're not a regular oval. I'm a round oval, and if the long oval guys think they have it tough, there are no production round ovals even in vintage. My VS is the best fitting hat I have. On the other hand, if you're a regular oval and know your size he probably won't need it. I get the impression that Art is pretty flexible.

nickn5

One of the Regulars
I didn't realise my head was such a weird shape until I used the conformer, what an eye-opener. Symmetrical = nope. So I'm glad I did use it.

N. :)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the advice and the picture nickn5. But since I'm fairly sure that I'm a long oval (all my hats which are too big only ever touch my head at the front and back) I'm wondering if I can order using my size which I know to be exactly the same as size L on cheap hats.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
avedwards, I've had clients in the UK mail the conform cards that are produced by the conformer of their local hatter, saving time and money. I believe that Locke & Co. will still do this for you but have no idea of the geography involved for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails