Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Mulceber

Practically Family
Thanks for posting these pics, Jazz - I've got a steel gray hat coming from Art (and already have a blue smoke hat), so your post was VERY useful! Thanks for giving me a great preview of the color tones for my next hat! -M

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jazzncocktails said:
outside, no flash, and with my blue smoke for contrast:
P1010006-2.jpg
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Very nice, JnC!

frussell

One Too Many
Nice Whippet

I'm expecting a Whippet from Art pretty soon, so it's great to see some photos of something similar. When you are in Rancho Mirage, you'll be close to home for me. If I see a fella wearing a superb hat, I'll honk at you. Great stuff. Frank

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Thanks, everyone, for the comments--Art does such great work, but most of you know that already. His standard-weight camel will likely be joining my collection in the not-too-distant future, depending on the cost of the holidays, of course...and this time something other than a whippet, I imagine...perhaps some inspiration from D-guy.

Art, you're right, I love the 2 5/8...my only problem now is the heavy rain that so. Cal. is receiving this week. I know that these hats can survive the elements just fine...I just can't bring myself to expose them just yet! For now, the Fed IV beater will do...

Mulceber, you'll love that steel felt. I was a little concerned that it might be too dark, but it is fantastic, good with jeans or with a more formal jacket.

Tone, you definitely want to add a VS hat to your list...you'll be glad you did, but be warned you may catch the bug and develop the urge for others, as most people on this thread can attest. :D

Univibe, if I recall correctly, you have at least one VS whippet in your collection...a beauty in whiskey or pecan, if I recall, one of several that inspired me to go in this direction.
Steve

Art Fawcett said:
Thank you for the great comments Gents, it never ticks me off when my designs are liked. J&C..the 2 5/8 looks great on you. It really isn't too much brim.

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Whisked away to a sea of not-color

I do love the look of that steel felt, especially on a hat with such an iconic style.

I hadn't intended to, but I just might want to order another iteration of The Selcouth in steel.

I'm entirely too fond of greys.

Maybe one in whiskey too...

univibe88

One Too Many
Here's a picture of me on the evening news wearing my Work of Art. I was leaving the bank this afternoon and saw a dame of a field reporter standing on the corner with a cameraman. I approached her to ask what news was going down in my neighborhood. Turns out it was some silly public opinion piece. I don't even care about the issue, but I was thrilled to be on the news wearing my hat!

I've had this had for about a year and half. Art's hats are fantastic when they are new, but I think they are even better once they really become yours.

This hat has been worn more than any of my other hats. The felt has really gotten soft and it fits so well. It's hard to imagine that a hat can fit better than a brand new custom-fit one from Art. But I really think they fit even better after you've lived a bit in the hat - worn it in the rain and snow, fiddled with the crease and the brim to get it just right.

DSC_0043-1-1.jpg

univibe88

One Too Many
Steve, you are correct. I do have a Whiskey Whip-art. I am flattered mine gave you some inspiration. I love this hat, but it needs some breaking in still. I don't feel one with it the way I do with the granite hat I just posted above. I know it's hard, but go take a walk in the rain. Just do it! Also, I love that purple liner. Art can tell you that I constantly harassed him to start carrying that liner. I love it whenever I see it.

I just stumbled across this photo of my Whip-art. Thanks for giving me a reason to post it. Delthayre, this pic is for you, too. You've got a granite and a black one; I think a whiskey will round out the collection nicely.

100_1041.jpg

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
univibe88 said:
Steve, you are correct. I do have a Whiskey Whip-art. I am flattered mine gave you some inspiration. I love this hat, but it needs some breaking in still. I don't feel one with it the way I do with the granite hat I just posted above. I know it's hard, but go take a walk in the rain. Just do it! Also, I love that purple liner. Art can tell you that I constantly harassed him to start carrying that liner. I love it whenever I see it.

I just stumbled across this photo of my Whip-art. Thanks for giving me a reason to post it. Delthayre, this pic is for you, too. You've got a granite and a black one; I think a whiskey will round out the collection nicely.
Nice--I thought I recalled a Whiskey whippet! Funny thing is that my two VS fedoras are the only greys I own--others are all shades of brown, along with a green Stetson mode edge. That makes ordering the brown fedora tricky...trying not to reproduce colors. So, my third Art Fawcett creation will require some thought...and I agree, Delthayre, go for the whiskey next--that's always good advice!

kaosharper1

One Too Many
jazzncocktails said:
Art, you're right, I love the 2 5/8...my only problem now is the heavy rain that so. Cal. is receiving this week. I know that these hats can survive the elements just fine...I just can't bring myself to expose them just yet! For now, the Fed IV beater will do...

Steve

I know the feeling, but I took the Dingus to London with me last week where it rained every day. The hat came through looking brand new, and is a little softer if possible.

Even the lightweight beaver can take the rain. I am giving the Dingus a rest now that I'm back in SoCal even though I brought the rain back with me. Now I'm wearing my Hoosier, and it can really take it.

metropd

One Too Many
jazzncocktails said:
Ok, as promised, here are some mediocre photos of a fantastic fedora. I received the whippet clone, in steel standard-weight felt, on Friday, and it's everything I'd hoped for. I wanted a darker grey with some blue tones that I would wear through the winter in so. Cal. (which isn't long, so I'll be wearing this hat daily for a while)--I had in mind the fedora Bogart wears in Dark Passage. And I loved the whippet clone that Art made for me in lightweight blue smoke about 6 months ago. But this one surpasses the first...the felt is thicker and supple, but still responsive to shaping, the bound brim is wide, the black ribbon is a little conservative but is a perfect touch, to my mind. And the purple liner that Art added sets it off so nicely. This is a great hat and I'm looking forward to having a great deal of fun with it over the holidays...plan on wearing it to Bing Crosby's in Rancho Mirage for Christmas Eve, reservations I made with this great hat in mind.

The specs:
5 1/2" crown unbashed
2 5/8" brim

The pics (they aren't the greatest, but you'll get a pretty good idea of Art's magic):

P1010013-1.jpg

The attempt at a bathroom-mirror shot:
P1010003-4.jpg

Another blurry attempt:
P1010007-3.jpg

And with the pups:
P1010012-1.jpg

Thank you again, Mr. Fawcett--they just keep getting better!

That is my Next hat!!!!!!!!!! :) ;) :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
univibe88 said:
Here's a picture of me on the evening news wearing my Work of Art.

This has to be one of the best pics yet. An actual action shot on the evening news ... wow that's priceless! What an endorsement too!

Tone

A-List Customer
jazzncocktails said:
Thanks, everyone, for the comments--Art does such great work, but most of you know that already. His standard-weight camel will likely be joining my collection in the not-too-distant future, depending on the cost of the holidays, of course...and this time something other than a whippet, I imagine...perhaps some inspiration from D-guy.

Mulceber, you'll love that steel felt. I was a little concerned that it might be too dark, but it is fantastic, good with jeans or with a more formal jacket.

Tone, you definitely want to add a VS hat to your list...you'll be glad you did, but be warned you may catch the bug and develop the urge for others, as most people on this thread can attest. :D

Univibe, if I recall correctly, you have at least one VS whippet in your collection...a beauty in whiskey or pecan, if I recall, one of several that inspired me to go in this direction.
Steve

Those are pretty sharp. Good to see some customs coming into people's hands again. The underwelt brims are growing on me, too. I've got some preferred specs I'd like to see on a VS someday. Believe me, if I ever do get a VS and like it, you will know it. :)

They look very casual and unforced on you, JZ. Those are 2 5/8 all around, right? Look good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot