Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Thanks, handlebar bart.
I think I'm less than a month away from taking the plunge, and ordering a custom. Still collecting ideas for it. Thinking black with a very dark green ribbon. Do you imagine a diamond bash would go well with a rounder face shape? Sorry to drill you.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
fluteplayer07 said:
Thanks, handlebar bart.
I think I'm less than a month away from taking the plunge, and ordering a custom. Still collecting ideas for it. Thinking black with a very dark green ribbon. Do you imagine a diamond bash would go well with a rounder face shape? Sorry to drill you.

I think the diamond is the most popular bash around these parts. I personally think it would work for anyone. When Art made my first I sent him pictures and I would recommend doing the same when you get your first custom. Black with dark green sounds great. There are pictures in this thread of Arts black hats with colored ribbons.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I saw the black one on pg. 55; it was my inspiration for my current idea, in fact. I'm considering a ribbon bound brim. Mr. Fawcett said he doesn't do Cavanaghs, sadly. Thanks for the help, handlebar!

univibe88

One Too Many
handlebar bart said:
When Art made my first I sent him pictures and I would recommend doing the same when you get your first custom.

I 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th this advice. Art has an amazing eye for proportion. It's truly a 6th sense.

portolan

A-List Customer
No hat yet, but I did just send back the conformer

and some information! I asked him for a western-fedora adventurer that I can wear on an archaeological dig in Mexico. Won't it be fun to see what he comes up with? I am a lousy waiter....just packaged up the conformer today and already I want the hat! Ha!

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
The worst is when you miss the postman and you have to wait a day longer to pick it up at the P.O. You'd be surprised how many times the police will wake you up in front of a post office in the course of the evening by tapping on your car window.
Tom D.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
univibe88 said:
Don't hold that against him - no one does anymore. He does do a mighty fine over or under welt.

Yep..black hat with Arts dress weight welted edge...........it will look like a cav edge. Infact that will be a sharp lid.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
jazzncocktails said:
Ok, this really belongs in the "What Hat Am I Wearing Today?" thread, but I thought it worth posting here as a way to bump the Art Fawcett HOF thread back to page one where it belongs. Let's get some new VS hats on this page, guys...do I have to buy another one myself? (The answer, of course, is yes, but I'm just looking for any rationale to do so!)

My Steel VS whippet clone, on a sunny day in January at L.A.'s Griffith Observatory.

-12.jpg

How in the heck did I miss this picture! Sharp, steel with the black ribbon is a homerun.

univibe88

One Too Many
portolan said:
Photos please!

I don't have a photo, but this is when the edge is turned over on itself (either over or under) and sewed down. Especially on a darker felt, like black, you won't see the stitches and it will look very similar to a Cavanaugh edge.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
fluteplayer07 said:
I saw the black one on pg. 55; it was my inspiration for my current idea, in fact. I'm considering a ribbon bound brim. Mr. Fawcett said he doesn't do Cavanaghs, sadly. Thanks for the help, handlebar!

I'm thinking my next Fawcett will have a welt brim as a change of pace, because I have a lot of bound brims.
Diamond crowns can work on a rounder face with no problem, and sending Art photos of hats you like - including his own work - will help him produce what you want.

Also, I can say from experience that Green on Black works great!
3882440409_5b7e435f01_b.jpg

kaosharper1

One Too Many
fluteplayer07 said:

Afraid no one does the cavanagh brim anymore. It needs to be done at the felting process and Art buys the hat bodies. But here's a close up on the underwelt on my Jazzman. It's as close as you can get:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=842008&highlight=kaosharper1#post842008

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
His overwelts do look sharp. Now I'm torn- I already do have a ribbon bound on one my other hats, though. Are the ribbon bounds dressier, or about par with an overwelt? Hopefully I can place an order soon- I've finally got the deposit ready. By the way, Not-Bogart13, that is stunning! I love it!

stlenney

New in Town
IMO I've always thought over/underwelt is less dressy than a ribbon bound edge. I stick with raw edge b/c that's what I like. I love the raw edge on the hat Art made me last month.

anon`

One Too Many
I would tend to consider a ribbon-bound edge to be dressier than a welted edge, if only because the ribbon was more or less standard on the three tiers of hats typically considered dressier than a fedora: the homburg, bowler (or derby) and topper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner