Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Not necessarily, Tom. I have a Blue Smoke dress weight, and I notice that it's softer and lighter than some of my other VS hats by just a tad. Actually, I find similar differences between all my VS dress weights.

Is the felt really really thin and hold a dent with just a light nudge? Or, did you specifically ask for a lighter weight?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
St.Ignatz said:
CIMG1470-1.jpg
CIMG1462-1.jpg
CIMG1457.jpg

Tom D.
Sweet! nice humi too!:eusa_clap

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Indy.
NoBo I guess I'll just have to ask Art. I didn't specify. It is quite a bit lighter than my Moss and is well ventilated in the sweat band which leads me to believe it was meant to allow wearing well into the warmer months. or not.
Art are you out there?
Tom D.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
St.Ignatz said:
Thanks Indy.
NoBo I guess I'll just have to ask Art. I didn't specify. It is quite a bit lighter than my Moss and is well ventilated in the sweat band which leads me to believe it was meant to allow wearing well into the warmer months. or not.
Art are you out there?
Tom D.

It's actually dress weight Tom & NoBo. I can't explain why they feel like different weights but, because blue smoke is bleached before dying and dark moss isn't, the density of the two felts are different. Bleaching ( lighter colors MUST be bleached first) loosens the fibers just a touch, making it naturally a softer felt to the touch and in pliability.

GClark

One of the Regulars
Borsalino Beaver re-work by Art Fawcett

A couple of years ago, my wife bought me a new black Borsalino Beaver hat, which had very nice felt, but a rather low and tapered crown, along with a pretty wide brim. After getting a couple of VS hats from Art Fawcett, and spending some time here, it started to look really strange to me. A few weeks ago, I sent it off to Art, and asked if he could block it a bit higher and less tapered and do something contrasting with the ribbon.
My original idea was grey or silver, but Art went with a copper color that I think looks great.

First some before pictures:
Borsalino_winter.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

Now - the after shots...

BeaverBorsalino_Art2.jpg

BeaverBorsalino_Art1.jpg

BeaverBorsalino_Art.jpg

BeaverBorsalino_Art5.jpg

It went from almost a 2 3/4 inch brim to about 2 1/4, raised the height to about 4 1/2 inches as shaped here, with a more stovepipe shape.
Art also added a black rim binding. I love the result - A fun but very dressy, and much better looking (to me at least) hat. This one will get a lot more wear now.

GClark

GClark

One of the Regulars
Garrett said:
you may want to move this to hall of fame
I thought about that, but I think of it as a sort of hybrid, half Borsalino, half VS, so I made a new thread. If that is the right place, I'll put it there though.

Art Fawcett said:
It's actually dress weight Tom & NoBo. I can't explain why they feel like different weights but, because blue smoke is bleached before dying and dark moss isn't, the density of the two felts are different. Bleaching ( lighter colors MUST be bleached first) loosens the fibers just a touch, making it naturally a softer felt to the touch and in pliability.
Thanks Art. That explains why my Blue Smoke ArtLite is like a feather up there! :D

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
RBH said:
I cant wait to see what Art wears at Monteagle!!!!!!! :eusa_clap

But, no pressure , right Rusty? lol lol lol I DO have something in mind to whip up for the trip but I'll have to get closer to having the time to see if it will work. I have some REALLY unusual ones coming off the bench right now...WAY lots of ribbon work but I think worth it. I hope the clients will see fit to post them.

Tom D, Mojave in featherweight IS available when you are ready. If you think this hat was light, wait till you have a featherweight on your head.

RBH

Bartender
Art Fawcett said:
But, no pressure , right Rusty? lol lol lol I DO have something in mind to whip up for the trip but I'll have to get closer to having the time to see if it will work. I have some REALLY unusual ones coming off the bench right now...WAY lots of ribbon work but I think worth it. I hope the clients will see fit to post them.

Tom D, Mojave in featherweight IS available when you are ready. If you think this hat was light, wait till you have a featherweight on your head.

No pressure at all my friend! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner