Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Artwork Featuring Hats

Somebody has to get the drywall from Lowe's.
Those kind of futuristic scenes always make me think of the John Carpenter film, They Live!

IMG_3507.JPG

^^^^ I stumbled into a movie yesterday in which the final scene was filmed there. "Windtalkers" with Nicholas Cage and Adam Beach. Not a very good movie ...

Screen-Shot-2014-06-09-at-5-56-24-PM.jpg
The cabin built on the movie set, The Searchers still stands but has been turned into a gift shop. In the movie they claim that was West Texas, but I don't think there were ever volcanoes in West Texas.

^^^^ I stumbled into a movie yesterday in which the final scene was filmed there. "Windtalkers" with Nicholas Cage and Adam Beach. Not a very good movie ...

Screen-Shot-2014-06-09-at-5-56-24-PM.jpg
I just stumbled on to this in my files so I may have posted this before. I took this in 2008 with a Navajo guide. The Navajo are very protective of many sites within Monument Valley & the public is not permitted to go to them without hiring a Navajo guide. In the case of this site they are very protective of the eroding sand dunes & their constantly changing patterns from the wind. No one is allowed to walk across these dunes. It is approximately 1/4 mi across the dune. The Navajo call this site Ye-Be-Chi, "the dancing warriors".

IMG_4650.jpg

This would have been a picture taken over & over again in Aug 1863 after Union General Thomas Ewing, Jr. issued General Order No. 11 forcing the evacuation of four rural counties in western Missouri (Jackson, Cass, Bates, & part of Vernon county). Often residents were only given 15 Min to collect their possessions, & looked back to see their homes burned & their livestock shot as they rode away.

IMG_3532.jpg

American artist George Caleb Bingham (1811 - 1879) was so shocked at what he saw he painted this scene which he titled General Order No. 11. The setting was Cass county.

IMG_3534.JPG

When residents were finally allowed to return to their properties Bingham painted this scene which he simply titled The Return.

IMG_3533.JPG

Generational families still refer to those counties as the Burnt District.

Last edited:

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This would have been a picture taken over & over again in Aug 1863 after Union General Thomas Ewing, Jr. issued General Order No. 11 forcing the evacuation of four rural counties in western Missouri (Jackson, Cass, Bates, & part of Vernon county). Often residents were only given 15 Min to collect their possessions, & looked back to see their homes burned & their livestock shot as they rode away.

View attachment 315188

American artist George Caleb Bingham (1811 - 1879) was so shocked at what he saw he painted this scene which he titled General Order No. 11. The setting was Cass county.

View attachment 315190
When residents were finally allowed to return to their properties Bingham painted this scene which he simply titled The Return.

View attachment 315189

Generational families still refer to those counties as the Burnt District.
Interesting history Jack! My great grandfather, and great great grandparents are buried in Butler, Bates County. In research I did, I found a letter written by my great, great grandfather, describing Bates County when he arrived in 1866. He wrote that there were only dilapidated buildings, unsafe for habitation, and what few stores were there, had little more than a barrel of whiskey. Some didn't even have a barrel of whiskey!

Interesting history Jack! My great grandfather, and great great grandparents are buried in Butler, Bates County. In research I did, I found a letter written by my great, great grandfather, describing Bates County when he arrived in 1866. He wrote that there were only dilapidated buildings, unsafe for habitation, and what few stores were there, had little more than a barrel of whiskey. Some didn't even have a barrel of whiskey!
Interesting DD. Guerrilla warfare started here on both sides of the line in 1854. Butler is just about 25 mi due east of the Marais des Cygnes River massacre of 1858. When Butler was rebuilt in the postwar period it was rebuilt by northerners & they left heavy Masonic symbolism on the buildings & courthouse that still stands today. Quite interesting; you should make a trip back sometime.

Us country hicks who aren't descended from French Royalty pronounce it as the Mare-da-Zein River.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo