Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As if we didn't chat about pin curls enough. . .

PrettyPaula

New in Town
Well last night i put my new foam rollers in, i had 8 XL and 8 L to put in. i did a row along the top of my head rolled toward the back, either side rolled toward the back and one in my bangs to one side and back wards so i could get a small roll in my front.
then i took the back longer pieces and simply rolled upward underneath...

this is the first time ive done a set that is starting to resemble what i want and that didnt frizz out like mad. my hair was dry and had a days dirt.

the long back pieces didnt set how id like so i need to rethink those..

but this is how it looks now after a days wear.
SDC11476.jpg

its not quite right, i want it more of a wavy style than these flip curls at the ends but any help is appreciated! sorry for shiny face ive just got back from gatwick airport, i was supposed to fly to St Lucia today but my flights been cancelled, ive spent the last 24 hours on trains and in the Hilton lol

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
PrettyPaula,

For what it's worth (and I'm a complete newb to hair culring of any kind) I think it looks nice and love your hair color.

I think pin curls may be too advanced for my stage of hair styling development. I got the Vintage Hairstyling book this week and have been absorbing it. I get the concept of pincurls more, but think I might have a better time of it if I start with a wet set with rollers to get the muscle memory of setting and brushing out my hair. I'm trying the Contessa look with velcro rollers. I'm watching Hitchock's Sabotage and drooling over the women's pin curled hair...and their dresses.

We're smart 21st Century gals, we'll get it!

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
I've literally just gotten the hang on pin curling my hair, but it seems that my hair doesn't like it! The frizz is something else.

Sooo... I found out that if I put my hair in barrel curlers wet, let them semi-dry (naturally or under a hood dryer) then take them out and put them into pin curls they're smooth curls that last about 3 days.

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
Hi Sincerely Dee. My hair has frizzed with my two pin curl sets, but I thought that was (lack of) technique or too much/not enough setting gel. As I was playing with my wet set last night, I was wondering if one could get a pin curl look with enough of the smallest rollers. starting the pin curl set with rollers is a terrific idea. I'll try it next time I try pin curls. Thanks for the tip!

Octavia

Familiar Face
I've never tried those before, but I've heard mixed reviews about them. They do look worth a try and pretty comfy to boot. Chances are if you try a few more times you'll get the hang of manual pincurls, though. My first set was terrible and I couldn't even roll a complete pincurl. I ended up doing my first few sets by sticking a finger at the root of a section and rolling it around the finger, against the head. The results were actually pretty close to correctly set pincurls, just with a few fishhooks here and there. But I stubbornly kept trying and eventually learned how to start at the ends, the right way, and roll neatly towards the scalp (I actually learned how to roll victory rolls by doing pincurls =P). I'm really klutzy when it comes to hair, so believe me, you'll be able to do it if you keep at it. My sets get neater every time.

Edit:
By the way, PrettyPaula, that looks lovely! I love the big soft curls in the front and your hair color is beautiful!

GoddessMama

One of the Regulars
I figured I'm only out $7 if they don't work. I have long hair and short arms, lol, so it makes for difficult pincurls. I sure hope they work! :)

GoddessMama

One of the Regulars
Ok I have tried pincurls again while waiting for my new curlers. They have been in for almost 11 ours and they are still damp! I have very thick curly/wavy hair that can not be blow dried lest I end up looking like a poodle. What ever should I do? Is my hair too long, its down to the bottom of my bra strap.

Jasmine Jolene

One of the Regulars
i am on day 4 of my set, originally set with foam rollers.

i pin curled my whole head completely dry, left them in for half an hour while i was having a bath and then hairsprayed.

i know have the most lovely set of curls, really defined as well! few frizzys here and there, those could be sorted easily but i can't be bothered, it was only an experiment.

i did pin curl from wet once, took about 18 hours to dry and looked awful, so i think a dry set is the way to go!

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
Goddessmama - if you're hair wasn't dry overnight, possibily you put too much hair in your pin curl? It's long so you might have to compensate. You could try using a spray bottle to mist your hair damp and then try a pin curl - rather than dripping wet. Maybe a roller set would work better so you get some air flow..? The beauty of this is you get to play until you find what works for your hair.

Sincerely Dee, I picked up some Garnier Frutis Style fiber putty and that is helping with the frizz. I've noticed, in the short few weeks of setting my hair, that Day 1 is what I like to call Harpo Hair. Big, frizzy and curly. Awesome if I was going for a 70s Pam Grier look, but not so much for the 30s/40s style. A little fiber putty defines the curl followed by a little hairspray to hold the curl. Day 2 is better and Day 3 seems to be the best. With a bit of a reset with dry pin curls at night. And, for me, combing works better rather than brushing. A big toothed comb (some of you may remember them sticking out of the back pocket of jeans in the 70s....)

I've stayed away from curling irons, for now, because I've got middle-aged eyes and I'm not a morning person, so I fret about frying an eyeball while trying to fix the curl in the morning. Also, I'm trying to attempt some control and not buy every gadget out there. There's bags, hats and shoes to be picked up to ;)

Oddly, I had a conversion tonight with my partner tonight about my shampoo & set schedule. We spent 10 minutes figuring the logistics of Sunday chores, which includes a trip to the grocery store. I'm not quite ready to wear my hair tyed up in in a bandana and go out in public. That seems a little too much like flips-flops and a track suit. We determined that I'd wash and set my hair in the early evening.

Oh, and I've mentioned the 'keeping your hair through the week' thread...here's the link: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=37839

GoddessMama

One of the Regulars
Ok I will say once my pin curls dried I did have the most amazing curls and waves with very little frizz. I have super thick hair so much so that I can't wrap my fingers around it when its in a pony tail. 12 hours though girls, 12 hours to dry. I tried smaller pieces last time and it end up being a frizzy mess. I'll have to do my hair in the early evening the night before and sleep on it for this to work.
Now ok tell me what do i do with these lovely curls? I have got the pin curl thing, but what do you do after this? Just wear them as is? Its way too much curl to do Victory Rolls. :p

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
GoddessMama. I set my hair at night and sleep on it because otherwise, I'll just fuss with 'em and ruin the effect.

I'm a big fan of Ginger Rogers, and I'll bet you could do a little something go more 30s and pull this off:

ginger-sm.jpg
or
220px-Ginger_Rogers_Argentinean_Magazine_AD_2.jpg

Heather

Practically Family
I've been pincurling my bangs recently. I've been doing 2 rows of 3 however I have a cowlick in my front hairline. It's causing a frustrating gap in the bangs. Does anyone have any advice on dealing with this?

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
I've been on a pincurling my bangs recently. I've been doing 2 rows of 3 however I have a cowlick in my front hairline. It's causing a frustrating gap in the bangs. Does anyone have any advice on dealing with this?

Hi Heather. I too have bangs and a charming cow lick on the right side just above my brow. I've been able to make use of mine by parting my hair at the cowlick. I've also experimented with the pin curl direction and have tried setting the my bangs with pin curl in both directions. For mine, it works best to set the pin curl away from my face (counterclockwise). The pin set toward my face fights the cow lick and I ended up with a more Ed Grimley look.

Please pardon the poor light, my dark hair, and what looks to be the last end of my wet set. This was the best shot I could get of what my hair looks like today:

4601742143_a91b5c693c.jpg

Heather

Practically Family
Tenuki said:
Hi Heather. I too have bangs and a charming cow lick on the right side just above my brow. I've been able to make use of mine by parting my hair at the cowlick. I've also experimented with the pin curl direction and have tried setting the my bangs with pin curl in both directions. For mine, it works best to set the pin curl away from my face (counterclockwise). The pin set toward my face fights the cow lick and I ended up with a more Ed Grimley look.

Please pardon the poor light, my dark hair, and what looks to be the last end of my wet set. This was the best shot I could get of what my hair looks like today:

4601742143_a91b5c693c.jpg

Ya know, I think we have the same cowlick! lol Thanks so much for that advice. Seems so obvious now that I think about it. There's no use fighting mother nature! [huh] lol

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Help!

Ok, so after much reading and watching Youtube vids (thank you LisaFreemontSt!), I gave the venerated pin curls a shot last night. It was a disaster! I started with dry hair, and dampened the bottom half of each section with setting lotion. I made large pin curls, maybe 15 or 20 for my whole head, pinned with bobby pins (kirby grips, I believe you ladies 'cross the pond call them), and slept on them. When I took them down this morning, the curls were kinky and it fried my ends! I have long, baby fine, pin straight hair that NEVER frizzes, and this completely destroyed the bottom 2 or 3 inches of my hair. What am I doing wrong? I've read that making your curls too small can cause frizzies, but I don't think that could be my problem since I made them fairly big. I shudder to think what condition my hair will be in when I wash and dry it tonight. Where did I go wrong?

GoddessMama

One of the Regulars
Well my pincurl results. This is a day after. The first day its ringlet city and I never quite know what to do with it. Having fun with photo editing too, LOL .
IMG00294-1.jpg

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
GoddessMama said:
My attempt at pin curling was a disaster. I fond these on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190328747975&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT They look like they do the same thing as pin curls but easier. They are in the mail, I can't wait to get them and try them out. I think this may be the answer to my inability to do neat pincurls. ;0)

I gave a set of these to my friend, they were original 50s ones and the trade name for them was 'Spoolies' which I love. They did nothing for my thick wiry hair, but my pal has had better luck.

K

GoddessMama

One of the Regulars
Yes I have the same kind of hair and mine just kinda fell out. Mine are made of silicone I think, is that like what you have? I have settled on foam rollers and traditional pincurls to get the style I want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran