Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Asbestos Tiles / Products

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Foofoogal said:
I have pretty much said my stand on this but am glad PSG got rid of the stuff now. It is like a hot potato if it is your issue.
No matter where you stand on any of this it does and will affect any selling of property now or in the future for your heirs to deal with. This was my most concern for PSG.

Again I appreciate your concern, but how many people reading this have old linoleum in their house? Also, there is a big difference between a small box of tiles and a house containing asbestos products, installed, like shingles, flooring, insulation, etc. But in any case, I figured it was better for me to have them out now since at some point I'd be getting rid of them.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PrettySquareGal said:
It's actually illegal to put them in the municipal trash. :eek:

(Edit: maybe not where you are!)

Oops! :eek:

Got rid of a box that were used in the basement of my 1950's house (this was years ago). Tossed them right in the trash.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Something I've noticed is that a lot of old restaurants and Church basements (where I attend rummage sales) likely have what looks like asbestos tiles. There are two breakfast joints where I asked the owners the age of the tiles out of curiosity and they say they go back to the 50's. I think there's a lot more out there than we realize. Also, it was used in caulk!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
In a first edition of one of Julia Child's cookbooks in the early 60s, she recommended baking French bread on asbestos tile. Shortly afterward, the news broke that asbestos was hazardous, and she scrambled to find a good substitute tile available in the U.S. She said readers never mentioned anything to her about the asbestos.

1961MJS

PrettySquareGal said:
I decided to dispose of them and not one local dump would take them (I was up front about what they were), so I had to pay quite a bit for a special waste place to take them. :(

Hi, just curious, how much did it cost? If that's not too personal. I see on your profile that you're from New England. The oldest civilized part of the US, so they have the most laws...

From my understanding of asbestos, you have to inhale it to get hurt by it. I think that you're supposed to soak the tile in something so that it doesn't cause dust when you tear it out. It's deadly, but not if you leave it alone. I don't understand the hysteria.

The one that's being worse currently is the lead paint deal. They haven't sold lead paint in the US since the early 1970's, and in order for a kid to get brain damage from lead, he had to eat paint chips for a while. Lead isn't a one shot deal. If you paint over the old paint, it's fine, but now you have to get some kind of license to paint commercially.

Later

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
1961MJS said:
Hi, just curious, how much did it cost? If that's not too personal. I see on your profile that you're from New England. The oldest civilized part of the US, so they have the most laws...

I don't recall exactly how much it was to be honest, but was under $100. They weren't installed anyplace; it was just an unused box. I'm glad they are gone.

PoohBang

Suspended
SamMarlowPI said:
just a tad off track,

my school, a university built in 1929, recently had "crews" completely seal off the main administration building and the library b/c of tiles and tile glue containing asbestos...

i guess they had to be really careful and soak the tiles and glue with water before chipping it up and removing it to keep it from becoming airborne...that just shows the age of the school...

my father was on security while they were doing this and brought back an 'asbestos hazard' sign...the man is crazy...

but getting back to the thread, i would say no :) even as vintage as it may be, no asbestos containing products would be getting near me...just wouldn't want the possible risk...

two things.. One, when the school was built, it didn't have asbestos in the tiles, that was a 50's upgrade...

and two, I love that your dad working "Security" stole a sign. classic!

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
On this note... what about old appliances? I just bought the most wonderful old hair dryer, but then I read about asbestos in old hair dryers. I took it apart in order to wrap a bit of electrical tape over some cracks in the cord, and other that a few bits of fluff inside, I didn't see anything that looked like loose asbestos. Any ideas on things like that?

And just on a side note, I am in my second house with asbestos exterior siding. My insurance company considers it a plus, and I get a break on fire coverage. We are careful not to disturb it...no cutting of it, etc. It's solid, holds paint like a champ, and is fire-proof. As long as we don't cut it or, ummm, lick it (along with what I assume has been lead paint in any house I've ever lived in!), I wouldn't trade it.

Now... about that hair dryer that blows at my face... that's a slightly different story...

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
PrettySquareGal said:
Again I appreciate your concern, but how many people reading this have old linoleum in their house? Also, there is a big difference between a small box of tiles and a house containing asbestos products, installed, like shingles, flooring, insulation, etc. But in any case, I figured it was better for me to have them out now since at some point I'd be getting rid of them.

Linoleum?

How about plaster?

The plaster and drywall joint compound in many houses built between 1905 or 1906 and the late 1970's is "hot", as is Transite siding and roofing, and the some of the felt used for flashing around windows. Now, the flashings will not be exposed less major construciton takes place, and the transite siding and shingles are not generally terribly friable, and so are of little danger particualrly if they are properly maintained, but many folks think nothing of tearing plaster down without wearing so much as a dust mask. Your plaster may be just fine, or it may be hot. The safest thing to do is to use good common sense. When demolishing a plaster wall, wear a good dust-mask (there is also of course the danger of silicosis) work on small areas at a time, dispose of the old plaster in doubled contractor bags, and keep the work wet tt to lay the dust.

Big Man

"The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself ..."

I refuse to live my life looking over my shoulder and being scared of every possible thing that is "out there to get me". Yes, there are certain dangers associated with asbestos, lead paint, etc. There are also much greater (and way more probable) dangers associated with driving and riding in a car - but most (rational) people aren't consumed by that "danger."

In the end, it's the abatement companies that benefit from the asbestos scare. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't behind most all of it anyway.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Big Man said:

I refuse to live my life looking over my shoulder and being scared of every possible thing that is "out there to get me". Yes, there are certain dangers associated with asbestos, lead paint, etc. There are also much greater (and way more probable) dangers associated with driving and riding in a car - but most (rational) people aren't consumed by that "danger."

In the end, it's the abatement companies that benefit from the asbestos scare. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't behind most all of it anyway.

Paranoid alarmism and blissful ignorance have never been helpful to me, either. However, a healthy dose of fear can only be productive when informed action is taken based upon that awareness. After that, it's time to let go because one has done what they can. Meaning, when I get in my car, I stay alert, and when I'm dealing with potentially hazardous products I do what I can to minimize any harm. What happens beyond that is not in my hands and that's where the fear ends.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Big Man said:

Actually, the demolition of "hot" plaster can be a bit dangerous, as it is so friable, but COMMON SENSE precautions can minimise the risk. None of this is rocket science. Note that in almost every state (NY and CA being exceptions) small amounts of asbestos containing products may be disposed in the household wast stream IF THEY ARE REMOVED BY A HMEOWNER.

The basic rule for removal is to keep everything wet, so that any dust is laid. "Fibers flyin', Folks dyin'!"

Of course, if no other work is being done, the safest thing to do is JUST LEAVE THE STUFF ALONE! Asbestos that is buried in an undisturbed wall or floor is not going to hurt anybody. In most cases today, though, ocmplete abatement is undertaken when a structure is to be extensively remodeled. Most sensible plumbing contractors will no longer work on asbestos covered piping, and so when plumbing or HVAC work is done on old structures "spot abatement" is often done on the areas where work is anticipated.

In residential work, though, when in doubt leave it alone, or at most, give it a coat or two of cheap latex paint, which of itself is an excellent encapsulant, sealing any loose fibers in place.

Asbestos IS dangerous, but generally only when disturbed. Asbestos abatement most certainly counts as disturbance.

Undertow

John in Covina said:
Out this way asbestos is handled like a cross between the bubonic plague, spitting cobras and spent plutonium rods.

Or, perhaps, bubonic-plague-infected spitting cobras who are coincidentally employed to handle spent plutonium rods? lol ;)

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Near where I live, in the coal region, there's tons of houses that have the 'fish scale' siding. My mom said that is asbestos siding, and most people leave it on and cover it up with newer siding.

Aside from that...I really don't know...[huh]

davestlouis

Practically Family
Mesothelioma is an ugly disease, one of many nasty ways for a life to end. Around here, we also have the Superfund site at Weldon Spring, where nuclear waste has been enclosed under a concrete and gravel sarcophagus, next to the local high school, of all things. We also have lead mines south of here, where the local kids used to play in the sandy piles of mine tailings that are just loaded with lead. The summer camp I attended was near another Superfund site, Fernald, near Cincinnati, and the camp closed because the well was contaminated.

I shudder to think about all of the industrial and environmental contamination we are exposed to daily. I wonder what all the radio waves from cell phones and other electronics are doing to "fry" our insides.

I try to avoid obvious dangers, and go on with my life. There are no guarantees, and I could get hit by a bus tomorrow, or fall in the shower and hit my head, or have a tree fall on me...the list is endless. I live my life as best I can and figure any day I wake up and don't see devils and pitchforks is a good one.

tuppence

Practically Family
It's a very serious matter in Australia

John in Covina said:
Out this way asbestos is handled like a cross between the bubonic plague, spitting cobras and spent plutonium rods.

Asbestos comes up regularly on the Australian news. Possibly because the companys arn't willing to pay compensation until after you are dead. It does shut down a lot of public buildings.

I'm sorry about your Father Foofoo, it does appear to be a horrible death.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn