Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ascots

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Things have been a bit slow on the cravat front recently. However, this was irresistible. A riding scene by 'A Favourtie Cravat':

IMG_1698.jpg

IMG_1699.jpg

IMG_1701.jpg

The man in the foreground appears to be dressed for fox hunting, whilst the one to the rear appears to be a jockey.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I wonder if anyone on FL wears their ascot in the more formal under-the-collar over the shirt style, tucked into a waistcoat? I'm quite fond of the effect, as seen here on an image from Gentleman's Emporium:

003723_01.jpg

I prefer to wear mine this way.

Edward

Bartender
IMG_1701.jpg

The man in the foreground appears to be dressed for fox hunting, whilst the one to the rear appears to be a jockey.

Agreed, on basis not only of the clothes, but also riding position. To the best of my knowledge (it's not something in which I have ever been or desired to be involved), members of a hunt ride in the traditional, upright position. Jockeys all now utilise instead the "monkey crouch" riding position (sitting with the legs bent, higher up and a little farther forward on the horse), first introduced into the UK by American Todd Sloan in 1897. The figure you identify as a jockey looks to my eyes to be in a distinctly different riding position, which would be consistent with the "monkey crouch".

I wonder if anyone on FL wears their ascot in the more formal under-the-collar over the shirt style, tucked into a waistcoat? I'm quite fond of the effect, as seen here on an image from Gentleman's Emporium:
003723_01.jpg

I prefer to wear mine this way.

Only with morning wear. Not that I'm stating that as a rule, mind - it's merely my own preference. Far more typically when I wear a cravat it's in a more casual environment where inside the shirt is appropriate. I'm more inclined to a bow or four in hand for wearing over the top of the shirt.

This is an odd one: no label - cut to a design I have never seen before - feels and looks very old.

IMG_2284.jpg

IMG_2283.jpg

Looks like a distinctly different texture than would be the usual...

That finish makes it look home-made...I wonder if once-upon-a-time there was a matching shirt

Could well be that a favourite old shirt finally wore out, but the cloth was allowed to live on as a home-made cravat... I have a couple of shirts I plan to have crafter into pocket squares when the Shirt-Reaper comes for their collars and cuffs.

tealseal

A-List Customer
Grabbed a cravat off Amazon a few months ago. Took it out for a drive a few days ago. Question: Are they supposed to be visible above the top of the collar, or should they only be worn with high collars, or is there a way to prevent this phenomenon?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I have tried to stop buying cravats: i have lots of them and don't wear them as often as I used to. However, i couldn't resist this. It's by 'A Favourite Cravat'. It's cotton (rather than silk or rayon) and i love the design. It reminds me of the sort of design used for curtains in the UK in the 1950s.

IMG_2510.jpg

IMG_2508.jpg

IMG_2511.jpg

MarkL

One of the Regulars
You might as well give up trying to stop purchasing cravats. It's hopeless for us cravat/ascot lovers. I've tried too, but it just does not work. I have evidence of that in the 3-cravats that just arrived in today's post from Swagger and Swoon in the UK!!!!

Nigel

One of the Regulars
I recently bought my first cravat, the wife likes it which surprises me:D. Have only wore it out once and around the house to "get acquainted" with wearing one. I can see me adding a few more to my collection. Oh and the good part, it was only £3.20.
$(KGrHqNHJEoFBmqPesbuBQkB(NGznw~~60_12.JPG

$T2eC16RHJG8E9nyfnUHeBQkBWjzssg~~60_12.JPG

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Esteban - I can't tell from the picture (working on an awful PC at the moment) but are those foxhounds on the cravat? It looks like a good one to me. There seems to be large numbers of horse racing/fox hunting designs available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner