Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Late night nonsense question... What would happen if I applied Black Urad to a brown or burgundy leather? Would the Urad pigment actually dye the leather and create some sort of tea core or would it do nothing? Maybe @Marc mndt or @ton312 , who already played plenty with Urad could chime in and give their thoughts on this, just for fun... (Just plain curiosity, not intending to do nothing like this at this moment)
I don’t have an answer but you can rest assured, if the result is not what you had hoped, a little elbow grease and water and you can remove it.

What can I do to hide the stains on this Uber? It’s very naked deerskin? Very soft. It I’m trying to lose the stains that show over time with a uniform coat of something to darken the whole thing. View attachment 535646 View attachment 535647
Be careful with deer! Many conditioners will not penetrate, and will either harden it or make it "gummy". I had some luck using Skidmores, but it did coat the hide with wax. Something like Obenauf's oil could do the trick. ***use it very sparingly***

Observe

One Too Many
Got a Taylor's police jacket that has the collar points stitched to the body of the jacket. Think I can use a stitch ripper or something to undo this with minimal damage? 20230729_201129.jpg 20230729_201141.jpg

Observe

One Too Many
Badge removal from the sleeve of this jacket left a lot of perforations in the leather, which I'm concerned may begin to tear. What's the best course of action here? Leave it, patch over it with some leather, or patch under it to reinforce it from the back? 20230731_084433.jpg

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Badge removal from the sleeve of this jacket left a lot of perforations in the leather, which I'm concerned may begin to tear. What's the best course of action here? Leave it, patch over it with some leather, or patch under it to reinforce it from the back? View attachment 536189
I think the way to repair such damage is to GLUE a patch of leather under it. I would send it to Dena. That perf looks fearsome.

Observe

One Too Many
I'm not much of a quilted leather guy, and I only spent $160 on the jacket so I'm hoping for the most cost effective repair possible. This probably precludes sending it away to a speciality leather shop. Here's a full pic of the jacket: 20230730_165413.jpg
Think I could get a local tailor to glue a piece of leather underneath the area in question?

I will say, the leather on this old Taylor's police jacket is quite nice. Thick and supple.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I'm not much of a quilted leather guy, and I only spent $160 on the jacket so I'm hoping for the most cost effective repair possible. This probably precludes sending it away to a speciality leather shop. Here's a full pic of the jacket: View attachment 536228
Think I could get a local tailor to glue a piece of leather underneath the area in question?

I will say, the leather on this old Taylor's police jacket is quite nice. Thick and supple.
Nice jacket. Because the reinforcing leather patch would be on the inside, you can try to save some coin and do the reinforcing yourself. The best glue to connect two leather surfaces on their roughout side is rubber cement. The bond will be damn near unbreakable. If you decide that someone else should do the reinforcing, I would talk to a cobbler, not a tailor. A cobbler will dig the concept of a reinforcing patch in a second, and will know what glue to use.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I used Weldwood. Tbh, they are all similar. Some swear by Barge. This repair is non-critical (ie in non-stress area), so it won't matter. I would say the only important thing is to use a solvent-based cement, not the water-based crap. The solvent is what you smell when you walk into a cobbler's shop...:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace