Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I'm looking for elongated bar studs for my Kit Karson. Anyone?

IMG_6206.jpeg
IMG_6487.jpeg

Last edited:

Fonzie

One Too Many
Ok, that might not be a very interesting question but here we go :

Say you’re a thin, slightly lanky bloke who’s looking for straight denims to wear over boots in a vintage fashion.

Would something like a Sugar Cane 1947 be a good place to start ?

Bonus cookie points for denims made in Europe. ;)
This is a brand from Barcelona that probably has what you’re after: https://www.companiondenim.com/

unhatted

One of the Regulars
While I wait—not without trepidation—for my 5* Cal CHP replica, I’m wondering what other accessible, side-laced cross-zip CHP styles I might keep an eye out for?

So far I have Schott 615/115 (which seem a bit thin on the ground, certainly in 36ish sizes) and Vanson E/Highwayman on my watchlist (as well as the C/als, generally unaffordable Langlitz, and their special-interest variants). What else is out there with laces and a X-zip?

Last edited:

KBlake

One Too Many
While I wait—not without trepidation—for my 5* Cal CHP replica, I’m wondering what other accessible, side-laced cross-zip CHP styles I might keep an eye out for?

So far I have Schott 615/115 (which seem a bit thin on the ground, certainly in 36ish sizes) and Vanson E/Highwayman on my watchlist (as well as the C/als, generally unaffordable Langlitz, and their special-interest variants). What else is out there with laces and a X-zip?
I have a branded garments for sale in the classifieds that fits the description.

AHP91

Practically Family

Taubers

0C0FE578-509E-4A62-AC25-B2AC9A503387.png
3EBD9F25-AE4F-4AEF-B987-ADC8A8235EAD.png

unhatted

One of the Regulars
I have a branded garments for sale in the classifieds that fits the description.
Thanks-if only it were a couple of sizes smaller! Most of my difficulty in sourcing jackets could be alleviated with a late-30s growth spurt but it feels unlikely…

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
View attachment 596659 https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/favorite-cafe-racer.114100/

What are the fit implications of a straight yoke, like this one on @MrProper ‘s Aero J-100?

It seems like a curved one is more anatomical, and a straight seem would the limit the flex a single piece of leather would have.
Exactly this. I realise that this yoke is a bit more restrictive than the yoke on the Premier Highwayman, but it's still ok for me. It's completely adequate for everyday wear and I don't need to do any sport in the jacket.

KBlake

One Too Many
Thanks-if only it were a couple of sizes smaller! Most of my difficulty in sourcing jackets could be alleviated with a late-30s growth spurt but it feels unlikely…
I see great jackets in your size all the time. 40 is a more common size so they get snatched up quicker. I'll keep an eye out. I'm sure there's a nice cal with your name on it floating around.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here

If you’re a small guy, the world is your oyster for leather jackets. From Japanese classifieds to vintage to even clearance prices of brand new jackets, you have far more options than most. Take full advantage!

Exactly this. I realise that this yoke is a bit more restrictive than the yoke on the Premier Highwayman, but it's still ok for me. It's completely adequate for everyday wear and I don't need to do any sport in the jacket.

Wow, I genuinely never thought of the Western yoke as something that would give additional range of movement. I’ve always liked it for aesthetic reasons.

Why is some leather advertised in ozs and some in mm?
Is there a conversion?

I think it’s just Anglo-American vs European (later adopted by Japanese) norms. Like how we talk about fabric for suits in ounces but they use gsm.

Here’s a conversion chart.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up

Johnson M-500 xzip, used by the Oakland PD. Was $650 for the 3.5oz cowhide version not sure what it is now. One of the best out there, I have many variations of this jacket, very comfortable and slim looking at the same time. This is the jacket that got me down the JL rabbit hole so be warned...

Cowhide,
M500 Front.jpg

M500 Back.jpg

M500 Side.jpg

These jackets runs big you can down size one for slimmer fit if you like, here is mine in stock size 40 in heavy goat,

IMG_6253.JPG
IMG_6232.jpg
IMG_6219.JPG

These show up on the used market too you can look for them. Because no one really knows what they are so they usually go for very reasonable money and they're gems.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Image1.jpg

One ounce of leather equals 0.4mm or 1/64 of an inch

So just put the ounce before the /64" and you get the per 64th inch thickness, so like 6oz would be 6/64" and so on. Since we're mostly imperial measurements here in North America which is weird I thought we are supposed to be metric...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner