Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Tumbled HH vs Jerky HH from Aero? My cross zip search has predictably bore no fruit so I’m going back for what is probably my 9th bootlegger (4th custom). I’d like to try something other than CXL. Can anybody comment on the difference between the two aforementioned hides? I’ll shoot Ken an email too but real world wearers thoughts appreciated.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
S&S is selling these for around 2k$.

These French seams don't look 2k good to me.
766DBD6E-6C99-43AD-8C4D-C9867DC0410B.jpeg

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tumbled HH vs Jerky HH from Aero? My cross zip search has predictably bore no fruit so I’m going back for what is probably my 9th bootlegger (4th custom). I’d like to try something other than CXL. Can anybody comment on the difference between the two aforementioned hides? I’ll shoot Ken an email too but real world wearers thoughts appreciated.

In response to a similar question, I got the following from Aero:

Tumbled - Exactly the same CXFQHH that we have put through an additional dry-tumbling procedure which speeds up the breaking in process, knocks off some shine and can bring out substantial grain – end results can be quite unpredictable with each hide being unique.
Battered horsehide – Pull up paraben based wax on the battered seal and tan, same as jerky but different finishing. With wear it is the most authentic vintage looking leather (battered seal).
Oil pull - oil pull up finishing, gives a more waxy feel (we have discontinued this leather now)
Jerky – vegetable based dye, crust is dyed in UK, tea core base, shows more red tones over time when breaking in.

In response to a similar question, I got the following from Aero:

Tumbled - Exactly the same CXFQHH that we have put through an additional dry-tumbling procedure which speeds up the breaking in process, knocks off some shine and can bring out substantial grain – end results can be quite unpredictable with each hide being unique.
Battered horsehide – Pull up paraben based wax on the battered seal and tan, same as jerky but different finishing. With wear it is the most authentic vintage looking leather (battered seal).
Oil pull - oil pull up finishing, gives a more waxy feel (we have discontinued this leather now)
Jerky – vegetable based dye, crust is dyed in UK, tea core base, shows more red tones over time when breaking in.
Thanks! I wrote Ken too. Maybe tumbled is the way to go. I worry the jerky won’t stand up to Chicago weather.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks! I wrote Ken too. Maybe tumbled is the way to go. I worry the jerky won’t stand up to Chicago weather.

I also understood that Jerky was even lighter than Vicenza and I didn't want that. Now I have unfinished HH, which is in something like Vicenza. If I hadn't wanted natural, I would have taken tumbled too.

I also understood that Jerky was even lighter than Vicenza and I didn't want that. Now I have unfinished HH, which is in something like Vicenza. If I hadn't wanted natural, I would have taken tumbled too.
Interesting. Was chatting with Ken about it. I may actually go with the jerky. It’s such a pretty hide. More to come:)

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Anyone knowledgeable on A2 repros? Is this an Eastman?
09A8842D-D0DB-41AA-8E88-D3522841517A.jpeg

50F46B55-0FA7-4916-8D1D-4FBC9AE0BA0E.jpeg

Epaulet attachment looks A bit off.

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I’m no A-2 expert either but the stitching on the epaulette and the tag reeks of Chinese knock-off.
I probably is. The listing is in French and it mentioned Eastman. Asking price €450.
But after reading it again, it says this one is for sale because the seller now has an Eastman as a replacement :)

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I probably is. The listing is in French and it mentioned Eastman. Asking price €450.
But after reading it again, it says this one is for sale because the seller now has an Eastman as a replacement :)
For around 450e you can get a decent repro: JA Dubow (Platon), a 5-star Dubow or Doninger (even cheaper), or the Aero quartermasters.

willyto

One Too Many
To be honest I don't think an A-2 would suit you that well. You've got a great collection of leather jackets. Unless it is a slender A-2 from Eastman and we'd have to see about that, it would probably be not flattering on your body. You're broad shouldered, athletic and have a slim waist (at least from the pictures) so A-2 would look baggy, specially if wearing slim trousers/denim.

firsttimebuyer

New in Town
Does anybody have a picture of how a Brown Chromexcel jacket ages/patinas? I see lots of photos of "natural" color patina, but now much for brown,

Harris HTM

One Too Many
To be honest I don't think an A-2 would suit you that well. You've got a great collection of leather jackets. Unless it is a slender A-2 from Eastman and we'd have to see about that, it would probably be not flattering on your body. You're broad shouldered, athletic and have a slim waist (at least from the pictures) so A-2 would look baggy, specially if wearing slim trousers/denim.
I think that this depends on the contract.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for your compliment on my collection. I've thought about that, whether a military style like an A1 or A2 would suit me. I think I could pull it off but I'm not sure whether I'd actually wear such a jacket. But if you don't try you don't know and I'm open to try anything, as long as it's quality made.
Today I received a Lewis Leathers biker jacket with padded shoulders. Not too long ago I would have dismissed such a style but now that I've tried, I really like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24