Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Hi Guys

I'm new here, I need to ask you guys for your advice and knowledge about these 2 brands Les Hommes and Giuseppe Zanotti. There is not as much info to go on these brands such as other brands. My previous experiences with leather jackets has been with Boda Skins (have 4 leather jackets from them) and Officine Generale (suede jacket from them).

Are these brands any good? How's the quality of these brands?

These jackets that you've posted seem to be of an extremely low quality, made out of cheap material. On top of that, the uninspired, bad design, combined with an insanely high price tells me you ought to avoid both brands like a plague.

My suggestion is, stick with the noteworthy fashion designers or go with any of the brands this forum talks about.

Damon141

Practically Family
Hi Guys

I'm new here, I need to ask you guys for your advice and knowledge about these 2 brands Les Hommes and Giuseppe Zanotti. There is not as much info to go on these brands such as other brands. My previous experiences with leather jackets has been with Boda Skins (have 4 leather jackets from them) and Officine Generale (suede jacket from them).

Are these brands any good? How's the quality of these brands?
Sadly I do know Giuseppe Zannotti, received one last Christmas and thankfully it didn’t fit. Otherwise I would have had to wear it.

It was Lambskin very soft very corrected, well stitched and made in Italy, quality on par with Saint Laurent Lamb. But these are fashion jackets which you won’t find a following for here and once you have had a real leather jacket, even entry level Schott jackets then these Lambskin jackets just feel cheap.

I’d say if you like the soft leather but still want something substantial then look into sheepskin jackets, some members here have them and they have a form fitting drape without the stiffness of horsehide.

Yeah... Lousy fashion leather jackets like Giuseppe Zannotti give all high fashion leather jackets a bad name and that's just wrong because some brands make really cool ones.

13695133-1_2.jpg

image.jpg

Not a lot. Around 1.5 in.
464F14ED-3DB8-4B94-A53B-114201E19245.jpeg

It will need some adjustment to the side panels/ pattern to remove the convex bell shaped curve.
3E62023E-C8C8-4EC2-83A7-8B0B6717B0E7.jpeg
I honestly think you could save your money as your 5* halfbelt jacket is amazing and fills a similar spot along with the Corsair.

Last edited:

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not a lot. Around 1.5 in.
View attachment 439486
It will need some adjustment to the side panels/ pattern to remove the convex bell shaped curve.
View attachment 439496
I honestly think you could save your money as your 5* halfbelt jacket is amazing and fills a similar spot along with the Corsair.
Thank you very much. And yes, you're definitely right. Currently I have no purchase planned anyway, but just in case :D

Poul

Familiar Face
Does anybody know about how durable is shetland wool sweater? Do you have any experience how its aged? I bought from jamieson's yesterday

I’ve had a Shetland sweater I bought in the Isles for years! As long as moths don’t get to it, should last a long time. Mine still looks new 20yrs later.

Damon141

Practically Family
Yeah... Lousy fashion leather jackets like Giuseppe Zannotti give all high fashion leather jackets a bad name and that's just wrong because some brands make really cool ones.

13695133-1_2.jpg

image.jpg
I handled a Saint Laurent calfskin made during Hedi’s time and it felt much better than the current offerings, style was great and makes a great out in the town jacket. Prices were scary high, and the only flaw I could find was the puckering around the pocket zippers. If you were one of the lucky ones to find one on an end of season sale then it would have been a great jacket to hood onto.

I’ve not seen the 2nd brand before

I handled a Saint Laurent calfskin made during Hedi’s time and it felt much better than the current offerings, style was great and makes a great out in the town jacket. Prices were scary high, and the only flaw I could find was the puckering around the pocket zippers. If you were one of the lucky ones to find one on an end of season sale then it would have been a great jacket to hood onto.

I’ve not seen the 2nd brand before

Hedi era jackets are great stuff and miles ahead of what they're doing now, as nice as it visually is.

Mrkurtz

New in Town
I am having a jacket made by Simmons Bilt. . I like contrast stitching on a jacket. Originally I was going with a very dark brown with a light tan stitching. However I have found a light brown leather with a reddish tinge that I think I would like to try instead. Whenever I have seen contrast stitching and the jackets I have with contrast stitching are dark with a light thread. Does anyone have any experience using a lighter leather with a dark contrasting stitching? I was wondering how it might look. Thank you

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I am having a jacket made by Simmons Bilt. . I like contrast stitching on a jacket. Originally I was going with a very dark brown with a light tan stitching. However I have found a light brown leather with a reddish tinge that I think I would like to try instead. Whenever I have seen contrast stitching and the jackets I have with contrast stitching are dark with a light thread. Does anyone have any experience using a lighter leather with a dark contrasting stitching? I was wondering how it might look. Thank you
Langlitz, currently on their instagram Stories :

46214341-42DA-4127-A88A-674ADEB28421.jpeg
11A51B62-FD3C-416E-A96A-F72172D5CA93.jpeg
C19518C2-C5B8-42C7-8291-59BAA72893D3.jpeg
F47C7DC3-3EBA-4A19-B82E-2C52AB010EE9.jpeg

RipperCrustr

New in Town
Hello, I’ve got some questions pertaining to leather jacket styles. I’d like to know what these segmented, form fitting yet not tight, jackets are referred to. Usually they have a set of buckles at the bottom and are most commonly found being worn by Japanese punks. Does Japan just have a secret stockpile of good quality, perfect fitting jackets ripe for customization? I’m going to drive myself crazy trying to find a decent jacket in the same vein as these, the internet is filled with trashy leathers. Any help is greatly appreciated
6B9E66B9-0598-4B24-BC0A-4B9433F80B52.png

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Hello, I’ve got some questions pertaining to leather jacket styles. I’d like to know what these segmented, form fitting yet not tight, jackets are referred to. Usually they have a set of buckles at the bottom and are most commonly found being worn by Japanese punks. Does Japan just have a secret stockpile of good quality, perfect fitting jackets ripe for customization? I’m going to drive myself crazy trying to find a decent jacket in the same vein as these, the internet is filled with trashy leathers. Any help is greatly appreciated View attachment 440723
Search for Lewis leathers Lightning 391..

Hello, I’ve got some questions pertaining to leather jacket styles. I’d like to know what these segmented, form fitting yet not tight, jackets are referred to. Usually they have a set of buckles at the bottom and are most commonly found being worn by Japanese punks. Does Japan just have a secret stockpile of good quality, perfect fitting jackets ripe for customization? I’m going to drive myself crazy trying to find a decent jacket in the same vein as these, the internet is filled with trashy leathers. Any help is greatly appreciated View attachment 440723

These are just old (or retro inspired repro) motorcycle jackets with studs you've posted images of. I'm seeing mostly Lewis Leathers here or some such knock-offs. Nothing special. Look for Lewis Leathers & Schott for starters.

RipperCrustr

New in Town
These are just old (or retro inspired repro) motorcycle jackets with studs you've posted images of. I'm seeing mostly Lewis Leathers here or some such knock-offs. Nothing special. Look for Lewis Leathers & Schott for starters.
Yeah, I’ve found a couple good candidates through some digging using Lewis’ lighting model, and highwayman leathers. Still can’t find a model with the back seam up the middle, Cal from Discharge (An English punk band) wears a jacket of the same style for the cover of their 1980 album Realities of War, later Disclose (A Discharge worship band out of Japan) sports the same style of jacket, I’ve always adored the way it looked and figured it would make the perfect piece of resistance for somebody obsessed with Discharge such as myself. I’ll keep my eyes open, definitely hit me up if you get any leads, thanks!
9396D60E-A74A-4AE5-8D68-C337FAB8F03F.jpeg

Yeah, I’ve found a couple good candidates through some digging using Lewis’ lighting model, and highwayman leathers. Still can’t find a model with the back seam up the middle, Cal from Discharge (An English punk band) wears a jacket of the same style for the cover of their 1980 album Realities of War, later Disclose (A Discharge worship band out of Japan) sports the same style of jacket, I’ve always adored the way it looked and figured it would make the perfect piece of resistance for somebody obsessed with Discharge such as myself. I’ll keep my eyes open, definitely hit me up if you get any leads, thanks! View attachment 440789

Ah, okay, that's a bit more precise.

Generally, when it came to leathers, punk rock band members would wear whatever motorcycle jackets available at the time that they could afford. Few brands like Lewis Leathers, Mascot, etc., are still known & famous today, with most being forgotten, as once motorcycles became affordable to the middle and even lower classes during the 1950's, many leather makers got into business of making riding clothes.

Variety in style was also negligible, with almost all 1960's to 1980's leather jackets looking so much alike that it takes only a handful of lunatics on this forum to tell them apart, but that is beside the point. . .

Looking online, Discharge wore these jackets. Unfortunately, by the look of it, the maker could've been anyone on the cheaper side of the spectrum. There really isn't anything in particular that stands out about the jacket they're wearing so I don't think think the exact ID is possible though you never know what @Edward might surprise us with.

Japanese are all about cosplay & they've taken the usual lengths to create a very good reproduction of the original, whatever it may have been.

So, to cut this short; seeing as to how it isn't very likely you'll find the exact match for this jacket & if the brand doesn't mean much to you, I'd suggest that you either look through eBay for a similar piece - Namely a vintage UK rocker / motorcycle jacket - or, if you don't want to go thru all the fuss with the sizing and that sort of thing, just grab any Lewis Leathers that fits the bill.

Alternatively, have you tried finding out who makes these repros in Japan?

RipperCrustr

New in Town
Ah, okay, that's a bit more precise.

Generally, when it came to leathers, punk rock band members would wear whatever motorcycle jackets available at the time that they could afford. Few brands like Lewis Leathers, Mascot, etc., are still known & famous today, with most being forgotten, as once motorcycles became affordable to the middle and even lower classes during the 1950's, many leather makers got into business of making riding clothes.

Variety in style was also negligible, with almost all 1960's to 1980's leather jackets looking so much alike that it takes only a handful of lunatics on this forum to tell them apart, but that is beside the point. . .

Looking online, Discharge wore these jackets. Unfortunately, by the look of it, the maker could've been anyone on the cheaper side of the spectrum. There really isn't anything in particular that stands out about the jacket they're wearing so I don't think think the exact ID is possible though you never know what @Edward might surprise us with.

Japanese are all about cosplay & they've taken the usual lengths to create a very good reproduction of the original, whatever it may have been.

So, to cut this short; seeing as to how it isn't very likely you'll find the exact match for this jacket & if the brand doesn't mean much to you, I'd suggest that you either look through eBay for a similar piece - Namely a vintage UK rocker / motorcycle jacket - or, if you don't want to go thru all the fuss with the sizing and that sort of thing, just grab any Lewis Leathers that fits the bill.

Alternatively, have you tried finding out who makes these repros in Japan?
I’ve done a bit of searching for Japanese repros, but I’ve came up empty handed so far. 666 Leathers has the model Uo-Kato from Disclose wears, but no luck in the middle seam department. There’s no pictures online showing any kind of tag or brand insignia on these jackets, leaving me to blindly search “Japanese leather jacket 1970 1980 side buckle blah blah blah”, that hasn’t led me to anywhere, which is part of the reason why I made this post, I was hoping it had some kind of defined name, or if I could find somebody versed in Vintage Japanese Leather Jacket reproductions, they could point me in the right direction, this website seemed like it might have a couple of those types

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko