Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
I just got a WPG Raiders jacket for a beater. It has fold marks and wrinkles from being packed in a warehouse. Is there a way to remove the fold lines? The leather is lambskin.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys. I was looking at the Ashland one. It's 1.5" width so a bit wider than the dress belts. Just hard to stomach the price when the C&J one cost less. The only thing that kept me looking at it is that the back strip is made from one piece horse butt strip instead of cowhide and I am a sucker for that kind of stuff. Great belt selection @Harris HTM. And yeah, C&J is pretty high quality.

I-Jusa-I

Familiar Face
Does anyone happen to know any remedies to a nylon jacket "shedding" a tiny bit of the insulation on the shirt worn under it?

I have a nylon MA-1 from Bronson and its an extremely warm and comfy jacket, but wearing a black woolen Pendleton shirt under it is a bit annoying with the tiny white "hairs" that get stuck on the wool fabric.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Question about pocket zippers (both chest pocket and hand warmer pocket).
I'm going for a minimalist cross zip.
At first I thought no zipper on either hand warmers or chest.
Can put my phone in the chest pocket (if it is large enough), my hands in the hand warmer pockets.
Going for inner pockets anyway so the phone and wallet will probably go there.
Never hand a proper length (a bit under belt) jacket so never experienced high hand warmer pockets - might be rather uncomfortable so high?
But the main question is long term:
Do the pocket areas of the jacket go out of shape (kind of opening/expanding permanently) more easily when the pockets have no zippers versus when they have zippers (which are closed most of the time)?
The main negative I see of zipper pockets is that anything you put into them (hands, phone, leather wallet) get's nicely scratched up along the way.
Opinions? Zipper on no zipper on chest / hand warmers?

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Question about pocket zippers (both chest pocket and hand warmer pocket).
I'm going for a minimalist cross zip.
At first I thought no zipper on either hand warmers or chest.
Can put my phone in the chest pocket (if it is large enough), my hands in the hand warmer pockets.
Going for inner pockets anyway so the phone and wallet will probably go there.
Never hand a proper length (a bit under belt) jacket so never experienced high hand warmer pockets - might be rather uncomfortable so high?
But the main question is long term:
Do the pocket areas of the jacket go out of shape (kind of opening/expanding permanently) more easily when the pockets have no zippers versus when they have zippers (which are closed most of the time)?
The main negative I see of zipper pockets is that anything you put into them (hands, phone, leather wallet) get's nicely scratched up along the way.
Opinions? Zipper on no zipper on chest / hand warmers?
If it works, always Zipper for me. I find that without a zipper, the pockets bulge more easily and the jacket loses its shape. However, it can be uncomfortable with hand warmer pockets if there is a zipper.
As always, it's a matter of taste.

newtojackets

Practically Family
If it works, always Zipper for me. I find that without a zipper, the pockets bulge more easily and the jacket loses its shape. However, it can be uncomfortable with hand warmer pockets if there is a zipper.
As always, it's a matter of taste.
Especially with smaller pockets, zippers can on hand warmer pockets can be quite uncomfortable. Id make sure the pockets are big enough if I were to add zippers

58panheadfan

One Too Many
I like the way how pockets slump down over time, it gives the Jacket character :)

Here shown with and without zippers on pockets:
FL_Vintage Jacket.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
If it's motorcycle design, I'd go with zipper on all pockets. If it's aviator design, I go with no zipper on the hand warmers. Any handwarmers without zippers can bulge out when you move. I wouldn't call that deformed or sagging, just the nature of the beast, because the smaller side will stick to the body but the bigger side will bulge out.
Handwarmers without zippers just make more sense, especially in cooler temps when the skin start to dry out easier.

There are very low profile snaps that can be installed on the blind side of the handwarmer pocket. This will keep the bulge down but there will always be a small dimple that hits the underside of the wrist too.

I too think the "sagging" looks cool and natural on an aviator jacket.

Damnedtodust

New in Town
Help identify this beautiful mystery

Attachments

• IMG_20230213_160720353.jpg
    IMG_20230213_160720353.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20230213_160817679.jpg
    IMG_20230213_160817679.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Forum statistics