Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Asprin facial mask (im so dumb!)

missbeki

New in Town
I'd read about the asprin facial mask (i cant remember if it was on here or another forum!) and I was gunna try it, but I was so worried incase i used too many asprin and i "overdosed" lol... but then i realised... people, including myself, put loads of different kinds of chemicals and facial cleaners on their face and they dont go into the mouth.

Doh!

I'm so dumb lol

anyway it didnt work :(

D-Day-Doll

Familiar Face
What were you trying to treat with the aspirin mask? The theory behind the mask is that aspirin and salicylic acid are both derived from the same source so its thought that the same acne fighting qualities of the salicylic could possibly be found in aspirin. On another note, don't do salicylic peels or use acne products with salicylic acid if you are allergic to aspirin.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Chemicals like salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide work in a preventative fashion so you have to use them regularly and for a long time before they work.

Clean and Clear has a new line of products (Continuous Control) containing 5% (maximum non-prescription) benzoyl peroxide which is the same ingredient found in ProActiv (only 2.5% though).
Neutrogena is my favourite in terms of salicylic acid. Their Oil Free Cream Cleanser is on the gentle side.

In the end I discovered (for me) the more chemicals I put on my face the more I got blemishes and redness. I started using Spectro Derm about a year ago and I love it. It contains no soap, no alcohol and no perfume. It is moisturizer-based which makes me think of the oil cleansing method but without the oil. I recently ran out and had to wash my face with a face-cloth and some warm water and I still had better skin than when I was treating it with harsh chemicals.
I would recommend anyone (having skin problems) to try going 'au naturel' to find out if the chemicals they are using are doing more harm than good.

I was also on Diane-35 for about a year. It is an oral acne treatment which doubles as a contraceptive and a breast enhancer. ;) Because of the active ingredients it qualifies as an acne treatment and not a contraceptive. It is expensive and it is a little riskier than the usual 'pill'. Don't worry, it's only available through prescription and they won't prescribe it to poor candidates. WOW! If I had more money I would go back on it. My skin was flawless and glowing and I went up a whole cup size :eusa_clap .

anabolina

A-List Customer
I'm sorry the mask didn't help your skin. I heard about it from MUA and tried it with asprin and honey and it really faded my acne scars and made my skin smooth.

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
I have super sensitive skin and deal with rosacea (flushing red cheeks) and I have done a lot of research on facial products, make up, mositurizers, etc.

The aspirin mask is basically salicylic acid and is a big no no for sensitive skin types. All it will do is dry you out. (The active ingredient in aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid)

I have read some mixed reviews on the aspirin mask. Some say it helps reduce redness and swelling. Other says it hasn't done a thing.

You were worried about overdosing...people I know who have tried it use 2-3 crushed aspirins mixed with a little aloe vera gel.

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
If you acne is really bad I would highly suggest a dermatologist and
check out acne.org and their forum to see how some of these people are dealing with severe acne.

Besides dealing with rosacea, I had some horrible acne breakouts on my chin.
If you just have a few zits that you want to get rid of I recommend a Benzoyl Peroxide. Neutrogena has one called On-The-Spot. It works wonders.
Unlike salicylic acid that just dries the skin, BP dry and gets down to the problem to kill it.

Other tips I can give you if you have dry skin or sensitve skin, is don't wash your face with regular soap. Don't exfoliate. and If your skin moves when you are washing it...that's too rough. oh...and use oil free products.

Good Luck!
Ann

Renee

Familiar Face
missbeki,

An aspirin facial mask might not give you immediate results, but if you use it faithfully a few times a week you might be very pleased. The thing to remember is that impuritites are often drawn to the surface of the skin by a good mask (this frequently happens with professional facials, also), so initially the skin might appear worse rather than better.

I would suggest giving it a few trys before deciding it doesn't work for you. Of course, if you find that it's irritating your skin then stop using it, but I've found an aspirin/honey mask to be wonderfully beneficial to my own (rather sensitive and aging) skin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy