Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attention: Johnston & Murphy footwear owners

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
AE's are great. Contact the factory outlets. You can email them your size and they will send you their stock list. They have sales on 2nds all the time. AE seconds are great

D

Deleted member 16736

In my limited experience with them (belts), I've found Johnson & Murphy to be overpriced, unadulterated garbage.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Johnston & Murphy compares to AE the way Toyota compares to Mercedes-Benz. J&M make fine shoes for a great price. I own three or four pair and they've been real solid. Good quality, will last for years. But they're not Allen Edmonds.

AE are fine shoes, but in no way, "Mercedes Benz". They are lower mid-range in today's world market, yet still solid. J&M are not worth the time or money.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Obviously I strongly disagree with your assessment.

How in Hades are Allen edmonds "Mercedes Benz" level shoes? Edward Green. John Lobb in London... these are examples of "Mercedes Benz" level shoes. Exceeded by (maybe Lamborgini level?) Cleverly, Lobb Paris, Gaziano & Girling, Saint Crispins, Top line Santoni, and the list goes on and on. I wonder what you compare AE to in order to give them such a high grading. Surely not just the Indian & Chinese glued shoes which are Yugos.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
That analogy would put the shoes I wear (Joseph Cheaney) into the 'Toyota' category: hard-wearing, reliable, well made, good value for money.

Since I also drive a Toyota, that's rather appropriate.

It's also appropriate since the only time I drove a Mercedes Benz, I found it a little too smooth for my taste - just as I found Edward Green shoes to be too lightweight for me. I don't think i could be trusted with not to wreck either a Mercedes car or 'Mercedes level' shoes.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
That analogy would put the shoes I wear (Joseph Cheaney) into the 'Toyota' category: hard-wearing, reliable, well made, good value for money.

Since I also drive a Toyota, that's rather appropriate.

It's also appropriate since the only time I drove a Mercedes Benz, I found it a little too smooth for my taste - just as I found Edward Green shoes to be too lightweight for me. I don't think i could be trusted with not to wreck either a Mercedes car or 'Mercedes level' shoes.

Exactly! Cheaneys are well made and solid. I put them above AE personally, as I do most of the UK makers. As for EG, I also agree. Not my taste because not sturdy enough for me. I prefer the Italian makers as they tend to offer tougher models.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I tried a pair of Edward Greens on in a shop. I think the salesman realised I'd had a couple of beers and thought that the quality and comfort would convince me to spend my money. They were incredibly comfortable and lightweight but they felt like I was wearing slippers - i.e. absolutely no use for wearing when trudging through the inevitable rain that dominates half of the year here in Lodon. And the beautifully smooth soles would be useless when cycling to work. So, as much as I appreciated them, there was no way i was goign to open my wallet.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
J&M haven't made a high quality shoe for around twenty years when they shuttered their custom program which operated out of a factory in Tennessee. Those shoes were as good as anything coming out of Northampton or Italy and priced accordingly. $500 IIRC, when the top stuff from UK/IT went for around $350.

I ordered a pair out of their Chicago store. After measurements were taken and full payment was made I was told that in around eight weeks I would get a call to come in for a fitting. Well I forgot about it (as I do with most of my custom orders) and after around six months or so I called them to inquire about the order. Turns out the order fell through the cracks (though I was charged) and we would have to start from scratch if I still wanted the shoes. I declined and asked for a refund which IIRC took around a year to finally receive. Oh well, they were nice shoes though........

How in Hades are Allen edmonds "Mercedes Benz" level shoes? Edward Green. John Lobb in London... these are examples of "Mercedes Benz" level shoes. Exceeded by (maybe Lamborgini level?) Cleverly, Lobb Paris, Gaziano & Girling, Saint Crispins, Top line Santoni, and the list goes on and on. I wonder what you compare AE to in order to give them such a high grading. Surely not just the Indian & Chinese glued shoes which are Yugos.

I was comparing them to J&M, which was the question asked. I was simply pointing out that AE was a level above J&M quality and style wise, but that J&M were still serviceable and more affordable. I'm wondering how you put Mercedes-Benz at the top of the heap for automobiles, but your objection to my analogy is noted. Feel free to create your own.

Last edited:

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I was comparing them to J&M, which was the question asked. I was simply pointing out that AE was a level above J&M quality and style wise, but that J&M were still serviceable and more affordable. I'm wondering how you put Mercedes-Benz at the top of the heap for automobiles, but your objection to my analogy is noted. Feel free to create your own.

Isshinryu has a point. Allen Edmonds are a good shoes, and it's a storied brand, but they just aren't quite what they once were. I certainly wouldn't place AE quality in the same strata as Alden, Edward Green, John Lobb, Santoni, etc. In that sense, Allen Edmond are to shoes what Cadillac or Lincoln are to cars . . .

. . . oh yes, and J&M shoes pretty poor quality. I wouldn't liken them to Toyota because they make quality car that will run like a champ for 200K miles. J&M, not so much . . .

Last edited:
Isshinryu has a point. Allen Edmonds are a good shoes, and it's a storied brand, but they just aren't quite what they once were. I certainly wouldn't place AE quality in the same strata as Alden, Edward Green, John Lobb, Santoni, etc. In that sense, Allen Edmond are to shoes what Cadillac or Lincoln are to cars . . .

And I certainly wouldn't put Cadillac in the same category as Ferarri. Your taking the car analogy way too literally and completely beyond its intention.

. . . oh yes, and J&M shoes pretty poor quality. I wouldn't liken them to Toyota because they make quality car that will run like a champ for 200K miles. J&M, not so much . . .

I have never owned a pair of J&Ms that didn't last a minimum to 10-15 years. Are they the greatest shoe ever made? Of course not, despite the attempts to compare them to such. But then again, they don't cost $15,000 either. I'm sure when you have an infinite amount of money, you can rattle off a whole list of shoes you'd purchase before J&M, but that's not the situation of the original poster. Telling him if he can't afford to pay 6 months salary for a pair of shoes, he shouldnt bother wearing shoes probably isn't very helpful.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I have never owned a pair of J&Ms that didn't last a minimum to 10-15 years. Are they the greatest shoe ever made? Of course not, despite the attempts to compare them to such. But then again, they don't cost $15,000 either. I'm sure when you have an infinite amount of money, you can rattle off a whole list of shoes you'd purchase before J&M, but that's not the situation of the original poster. Telling him if he can't afford to pay 6 months salary for a pair of shoes, he shouldnt bother wearing shoes probably isn't very helpful.

Whoever told you Alden, Edward Green, John Lobb, Santoni cost $15k is full of you know what. Those brands cost half-again to 4x what a pair of AEs do.

I'm surprised you've gotten that many years of service out of J&Ms considering the examples I've seen in stores lately. Is it possible that brand has experienced a marked decline in quality in the last decade? I know I've noticed a decline in the quality of AEs I bought new 8-10 years ago versus in the last year or so.

Edit:
I see J&M has lines that are American and Italian made on their Website. Perhaps these are what you're referring to? Price wise, they are comparable to AEs; quality wise, I have no idea. However, I stand by my original statement: The mainline J&M's I've inspected in person are poorly made and, at the $150-250 price point, aren't even that cheap.

My advice is, as always, the same. The OP should look for a pair go used AEs in good condition. These can easily be found on eBay in like-new condition for that price.

Last edited:
Whoever told you Alden, Edward Green, John Lobb, Santoni cost $15k is full of you know what. Those brands cost half-again to 4x what a pair of AEs do.

Again, the point being he said he couldn't afford AE. Telling him shoes that costing 4X as much are better isn't really meaningful or helpful.

I'm surprised you've gotten that many years of service out of J&Ms considering the examples I've seen in stores lately. Is it possible that brand has experienced a marked decline in quality in the last decade? I know I've noticed a decline in the quality of AEs I bought new 8-10 years ago versus in the last year or so.

Perhaps there's been a decline in quality. I know my experience with J&M, but obviously not everyone's. The newest pair of J&M I have is about 4 years old, and I wear them several times a week to the office. They have held up outstandingly. But your mileage may vary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo