Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attention: Johnston & Murphy footwear owners

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
AE are worth the extra cost if only for the fact that they can be refurbished at the factory on the original last with original materials. For me, that's a must.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I tried a pair of Edward Greens ........ They were incredibly comfortable and lightweight but they felt like I was wearing slippers - i.e. absolutely no use for wearing when trudging through the inevitable rain that dominates half of the year here in Lodon. And the beautifully smooth soles would be useless when cycling to work.
Get them with double leather soles or dainite soles and Bob's your uncle. ;)

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I tried a pair of Edward Greens on in a shop. I think the salesman realised I'd had a couple of beers and thought that the quality and comfort would convince me to spend my money. They were incredibly comfortable and lightweight but they felt like I was wearing slippers - i.e. absolutely no use for wearing when trudging through the inevitable rain that dominates half of the year here in Lodon. And the beautifully smooth soles would be useless when cycling to work. So, as much as I appreciated them, there was no way i was goign to open my wallet.

TT, I suspect for you and I the deciding factor on shoes is practicality and durability. I'm not 100% sure about London, but if it's anything like San Francisco, I suspect parking is impossible. As such, the train, the bus, and the leather sole limousine are crucial modes of transport.

Not long ago, I was looking at some very chichi Italian shoes with a 30s spade sole look about them. But upon contemplation I thought, how are these dainty luxury brand shoes going to hold up to 3 miles per-day of walking, jump of and on crowded streetcars and buses, etc.?

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Guttersnipe: Yes, all too often it's the 'running for buses, running away from muggers' factor that determines the shoe!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The reason the EG's feel like slippers is because of the quality of leather used on the uppers. Their 'country' line with thick sturdy soles are every bit as slipperlike. And the suppleness of the uppers does not make them fragile in any way so they needn't be babied. Just a result of high quality skins processed at a top flight tannery.

You have to pay a rather high price to get quality uppers so you want the shoe to be factory refurbishable. That's what makes these pricey shoes a value purchase in the long haul. Cheap disposable shoes are actually a poor value compared to a more expensive refurbishable shoe. Once you get your mind around that it's easier to shell out the bigger bucks.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
I'm wondering how you put Mercedes-Benz at the top of the heap for automobiles, but your objection to my analogy is noted. Feel free to create your own.

Your question speaks of your experience. Edward Green & John Lobb UK ARE Mercedes level makers. Very good, but by no means the top of the line (Rolls Royce, Bentley, etc). They are both Goodyear stitch makers. True handwelted shoes occupy the top tier of makers. Lobb in Paris are wonderful. Cleverly's top line sublime. Saint Crispins is the current favorite of $2k Ready To Wear shoe buyers. Bespoke is an entirely different animal.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
When it comes to ankle boots Bruce, and what you've said about your foot sizing, Allen Edmonds will be the more accommodating when it comes to something that will fit you best. I've gone through a lot of shoes and boots to find out that Allen Edmonds are a priced at what they are for the fact that the materials are very durable. When it comes to choosing between a Johnston and Murphy Ankle boot and an Allen Edmonds I'll always prefer the Allen Edmonds. That being said, if the Johnston goes on sale I'll be on it as fast as a heart beat. When this forum started it was nearly impossible to find a pair of ankle boots, let alone wingtips, and at that price, whoa! Times have changed, but I always fear that the times have to be taken advantage of while they can be. So with my foot shape and knowing how the Johnston's fit, I'm on the side of getting a beater pair of the J&M shoes just for having a pair of lug soled rain friendly ankle boots that I can tear through New York in on buying trips.

But overall, I prefer the fit and durability of the AE. Buy no means are the J&M fast food fashion, but in the long run the AE will last much longer from my experience.

Johnston and Murphy Hattington $195.00
http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.aspx?c=1619&sc=1619&pid=90284
chaussures-johnston-murphy-hattington-wingtip-boot.jpg

Allen Edmonds Dalton $395.00
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF0111_1_40000000001_-1

I hate the fact that they don't have speed laces... or a functional loop in the back to help pull them on.
allenedmonds_shoes_dalton_bourbon_l.jpg

Last edited:

Kevin Popejoy

One of the Regulars
There must be something seriously wrong with your friends car then. A say 5-year old Mercedes S-class should be worth twice as much as a brand new Corolla, and three or four times what a 5-year old one is worth.

Granted it's an '05 but even with a perfect maintenance record, clean carfax, and about 30,000 original miles it books within $2000 of a new Corolla. The original MSRP was about $110,000. Pretty sick isn't it? It's all about the warranty. Out of pocket repairs are incendiary.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Granted it's an '05 but even with a perfect maintenance record, clean carfax, and about 30,000 original miles it books within $2000 of a new Corolla. The original MSRP was about $110,000. Pretty sick isn't it? It's all about the warranty. Out of pocket repairs are incendiary.

Those repair costs alone make me shudder... fantastic auto, though.

Your question speaks of your experience. Edward Green & John Lobb UK ARE Mercedes level makers. Very good, but by no means the top of the line (Rolls Royce, Bentley, etc). They are both Goodyear stitch makers. True handwelted shoes occupy the top tier of makers. Lobb in Paris are wonderful. Cleverly's top line sublime. Saint Crispins is the current favorite of $2k Ready To Wear shoe buyers. Bespoke is an entirely different animal.

Perhaps. I still don't get why when someone says they can't afford the $300 shoes you insist on pointing them to the $2,000 pair as an alternative.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Johnston & Murphy compares to AE the way Toyota compares to Mercedes-Benz. J&M make fine shoes for a great price. I own three or four pair and they've been real solid. Good quality, will last for years. But they're not Allen Edmonds.

I'd say the MB comparison is apt from one perspective. An MB is about the least expensive decently built rear wheel drive car you can buy these days, while AE may be the least expensive decently and traditionally built shoe.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
I'd say the MB comparison is apt from one perspective. An MB is about the least expensive decently built rear wheel drive car you can buy these days, while AE may be the least expensive decently and traditionally built shoe.

Except for the fact that there are several UK makers in the same price range that consistently use better quality leather, make a sturdier shoe & cost in the same neighborhood (Loake for one). I am just tired of all the AE worship. They are lower mid-level at best.

As for Mercedes, they are NOT the least expensive decently built rear-wheel drive auto today. Honda Accord & Toyota Camry are better bulit, have much less expensive repair costs and are much more dependable than MB. However, the higher-end MB are excellent autos.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Except for the fact that there are several UK makers in the same price range that consistently use better quality leather, make a sturdier shoe & cost in the same neighborhood (Loake for one). I am just tired of all the AE worship. They are lower mid-level at best.

Isshinryu, there are probably two or three components in play with the FL's love of AEs.

First, a few well respected, long-term members hold AE in higher regards than you and there is always a certain amount of group think in a forum (I'm not saying you're wrong; personally I think much more of Alden than AE). Secondly, AEs are sold much more widely (in the U.S.) than brands like Loake, so most folks awareness of the ins't IRL; forming an opinion about a shoe is hard via the web. Third, AE tends to be a little more stylistically adventurous, resulting in a variety of spectators/retro(ish) shoes/boots, which I think folks appreciate. In that since, AE is the Brooks Brothers to Alden's J Press . . .

As an American I'd rather buy American than one made elsewhere.

If that's a consideration, do note that J&M aren't made in the U.S., hence their premium line that it expressly marketed as Made in the USA. Reading between the lines, that means nothing else that they make is . . .

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
AE is the Brooks Brothers to Alden's J Press . . ..
Funny you mention BB and AE; Starting this season BB will be selling branded AE (as well as Edward Green) on their web site and in selected stores. I'm waiting to see if they discount the EG's like they do their Peals at their end of season sale. :)

Richard Warren

Practically Family

As for Mercedes, they are NOT the least expensive decently built rear-wheel drive auto today. Honda Accord & Toyota Camry are better bulit, have much less expensive repair costs and are much more dependable than MB. However, the higher-end MB are excellent autos.

Honda and Toyota do not make rear wheel drive cars. MB is as cheap as any rear wheel drive car that can be bought without seriously compromising quality. Just like AE is as cheap as any shoe that can be bought without doing so.

Comparing AE to MB is not worshiping AE; it is saying AE is better then Johnston and Murphy just like MB is better than Toyota or Honda. There are certainly better cars and shoes out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo