Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attire during lockdown

Aerielle Max

One of the Regulars
COvid put us inside the hour all the time if not most of the time. What do you wear at home? When you are working do you still wear uniform or corporate attires?

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It would be really easy for me to stay in sweatpants or pajamas all day. However, being a veteran of one lockdown already, I have learned that keeping to the routine of showering and dressing nicely (not necessarily full business wear) helps me keep my spirits up. I've noticed that I'm also shying away from jeans, and often wear chinos & collared shirts. I dug out a nice, thick, shawl collared sweater with buttons and pockets that I'm becoming quite attached to. Additionally, I'm trying to get out of the house and at least walk around the block at least once daily. One dark chocolate in mid-afternoon also works wonders.

Edward

Bartender
I've definitely gotten more "casual" for work in that as I'm online all the time (though still visible during teaching) I have not been wearing a tie so much. I vary between jeans and Dickies 874s down below where it's out of sight; the Dickies are my usual go-to for work in normal times. I'd be making more of an effort as I shift my excess weight; I've been reluctant to buy too many clothes this last year or two til I slim down more, not least as my shape currently makes it hard to find affordable shirts that aren't too tight in the gut or too loose in the collar. Partly my weight being over what it should be, partly the fashion for shirts being cut narrowly.

When the weight is gone, I'll be back into the full rig every day, even at home - I'd much rather wear a suit or tweeds all the time.

One thing I've gotten very lazy about is shaving, as stubble doesn't seem to show up on my webcam til about five days in... I dislike that. Really, though, my lazier habits right now are more a product of spending more time working with doing it all online than they are to do with the location.

Pandemic

One Too Many
I work in public health emergency management. My normal work attire was business casual, but now I’m in uniform (polo, windbreaker, tactical pants and boots) in the field or in the Emergency Operations Centre. I do WFH a couple days a week, and spend those in a new pair of jeans I’m working on wearing in a bit.

Nobert

Practically Family
We're not experiencing an actual lockdown where I am ('cause, you know, freedom), but as far as the enforced isolation and inactivity, I haven't really changed my off-hours garb. It's still usually tie and vest, sport jacket if I'm going out. Sometimes I feel casual and just go with a button-down shirt and slacks of some sort, but that was the case pre-pandemic. Shower and shave schedule remains the same.
I'm kind of a creature of routine, and the morning rituals and ablutions are a temporary bulwark against the open, vacant hours of the rest of the day. I can remember, even as a kid, getting up at six on a Saturday morning, settling in to watch cartoons and being mildly disgusted with myself when 11 a.m. rolled around and I still wasn't dressed. Besides that, spending all day in pajamas or whatever clothes I fell asleep in reminds me of the days when I was treating gin as a breakfast food. Not a place I wish to go back to.

COvid put us inside the hour all the time if not most of the time. What do you wear at home? When you are working do you still wear uniform or corporate attires?
If I am in the house I am wearing sweat shirt and sweat pants and heavy wool socks my wife knit for me. If I am working in my shop (in the garage) I will put on a pair of jeans and shoes. I can get almost a full week out of one sweatshirt as long as I don't slop spaghetti sauce on it.

Flanderian

Practically Family
Why, I follow Winnie's example, of course! ;)

Winston-Churchill-Style-Darkest-Hour-Gown.jpeg

Aerielle Max

One of the Regulars
It would be really easy for me to stay in sweatpants or pajamas all day. However, being a veteran of one lockdown already, I have learned that keeping to the routine of showering and dressing nicely (not necessarily full business wear) helps me keep my spirits up. I've noticed that I'm also shying away from jeans, and often wear chinos & collared shirts. I dug out a nice, thick, shawl collared sweater with buttons and pockets that I'm becoming quite attached to. Additionally, I'm trying to get out of the house and at least walk around the block at least once daily. One dark chocolate in mid-afternoon also works wonders.

Same here pajamas are good, comfortable and well covered.

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
Jeans and a collared, button up wool or chamois shirt mostly, especially if I’m in my basement doing woodworking, although I’ve been writing quite a bit lately and find I prefer corduroy trousers with a button up dress shirt and a fair isle cardigan for this endeavour. I still shower as often as I regularly did, but I started my winter beard again at the very end of September when motorcycling season was pretty much done here on the Canadian prairies. It’s about 2” long now but will come off in April some time, when the snow goes. My wife really likes my beard, but it’s a nuisance in the summer and if you shave it off part way through you end up with a ridiculous tan line.

bn1966

I work in the NHS, so on teaching days I’m in smart casual, Pike chinos, vintage style sweat shirt (tucked in), Clark’s lightweight Gortex boots, Stetson cap and black Alpha nylon CWU 45 jacket.

Off and home work days my attire isn’t too different but I’ll often wear knackered Pike denim pants and an Eastman jacket.

Sweat pants are OK in the house but not for going out & I always try and shave, ensure my moustache has a bit of wax and a dab of cologne behind my ears. Helps keep my morale up & standards..

Edward

Bartender
Sweat pant are one thing, along with tracksuits generally and sgort trousers, I've not owned since about 1990. Don't miss em at all!

bn1966

The only use I have for sweat pants is rolling around at work with Folk (literally) or on the sofa chillaxing....I do however own a nice Pike hooded sweatshirt that I do wear out of the house...

johnnycanuck

Typically jeans and a tee shirt. I have a few new flannel shirts I put into rotation. Nice button down numbers. I find I am reaching for my Costco brand stretch jeans now more then my Levi’s as they have more give and flexibility working in the house. Last time I put my cotton slacks on with a button down shirt my wife gave me a side look and asked why I put “that” on.
Stay safe everyone
Johnny

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Primarily working from home and keeping the thermostat to around 68-70F so it's jeans, undershirts, flannels and sweatshirts for me. I shower (and shave in the shower) every morning, keeping a reading routine every morning & evening as well. I like / desire routine as well as a sense of normalacy. I am a "people person" (Read = Extrovert) so all this time alone has it's challenges. Our gyms are open, so I get there 4-5 times a week which helps in many ways.

Overall - I keep shirts tucked in, keep trimmed, and try and keep the place "tour ready" at all times.

Last edited:

bn1966

UK in another major lockdown probably for three months, nowhere to go and nothing to do apart from going to work on non office days (they are From home now).

Most places leisure business wise are shut as are gyms and the pool, so it’s speed walking the dog for me (I’m a regular sport swimmer normally).

Attire wise with nothing to spend money on locally at present I’m getting another ‘lockdown’ special jacket from 5* to keep me amused. Due to Brexit buying from the EU (where I source lots of clothing) isn’t as straightforward as it used to be at the moment.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Salty O'Rourke saunters back into the lounge...

I retired from the corporate/office rat race a few years ago, but re-entered my old industry in a project management role that requires fairly rugged attire when I venture into the field.

But at all times, in the field or working from home, I wear a collared shirt, and most of the time it's a dress shirt. That means I must shave every day unless I want frayed collars, which sets me apart from the scruffy guys that show up in my regular Teams meetings or that I see when I venture out. Keeps me feeling professional and sharp.

I wear leather shoes/boots as I work at my stand-up desk, usually an Allen Edmonds Chukka boot or their Higgins Mill Chromexcel boot, or wing-tip Florsheim Imperial Kenmoors or AE MacNeils. I have to wear safety-toed boots in the field, utilitarian form-follows-function affairs from Bates or Wolverine. If you don't have a stand-up desk I highly recommend one; it's good for the core and it's helped me stave off the Covid 20.

Nice to be back; not sure why I wandered off....

Well, my new Covid uniform is sweat pants and a hoodie along with my choice of fedora for the day. If I have to pop out for supplies I will 'dress up' from sweats to a pair of jeans. I shave every third or 4th day....no one seems to notice or care. The big question is will I find a way back to my old normal once this Covid thingy goes away.....or this my permanent new normal?

bn1966

To shave or not to shave? That is the first predicament facing me today. Secondly lounge or formal wear, it’s raining cats and dogs at present so I presume the dog would rather not go out just yet, I have recently acquired a Driazbone Drovers coat used but it needs re-waxing so I would rather not go out at the moment. Think it’s lounge wear and the sofa duty for now....

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I wear my Old Town wardrobe that I'd normally use for work (cotton twill overhead shirts and twill, corduroy, or moleskin trousers; jumpers or sleeveless tank tops). Practical and comfortable.

Edward

Bartender
I'm tending now towards either my Wranglers or Dickies 871s (the latter being office / out of the house wear in "normal" times), and a shirt or sweater. For Christmas, the wife bought me some very nice knitwear pieces from the men's clothing range Collectif (a repro 40s/50s/60s clothing label that has been around for ladieswear for about fifteen or twenty years now) have recently launched as well as a nice striped t-shirt from them, so those are getting worn a lot. Footwear is my trusty Redwing Iron Rangers most days. I would be in my slippers a lot, but with the wife being on the vulnerable list it falls to me to take the dog out three times a day, and until I pick up some new penny loafers I can't be bothered with changing my shoes that often!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ